Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

Hi guys,

I have a GA-Z77X-UD3H board with a i5-3570 using the F20e BIOS running Windows 8.1. I have 4 drives in the system, a pair of SSD's, a 1TB WD Black & an optical drive. I boot from one of the SSD's.

The board works great except for one weird little problem...I can't seem to change any of the devices listed in the "Boot Options Properties" of the "BIOS Features" section to change. It currently lists a old Verbatim USB key & 3 instances of the Crucial SSD firmware update image as my only boot devices. I don't think I can even select a boot device of any sort in the "Boot Override" in the "Save & Exit" section of the BIOS, I think I have to use "F12" if I want to boot from a USB key.

I've tried resetting the BOIS to defaults, clearing it via the jumper & by pulling the battery but I can't seem to get the boot order to clear out these old entries.

Ideally I'd like to set the BIOS so I'm explicitly booting UEFI from my 850 Pro SSD with the ODD next.

Any idea how to clear out, reset or re-detect the possible boot devices for my system?

Thank you!

-TheBrabo

Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

Originally posted by TheBrabo View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a GA-Z77X-UD3H board with a i5-3570 using the F20e BIOS running Windows 8.1. I have 4 drives in the system, a pair of SSD's, a 1TB WD Black & an optical drive. I boot from one of the SSD's.

The board works great except for one weird little problem...I can't seem to change any of the devices listed in the "Boot Options Properties" of the "BIOS Features" section to change. It currently lists a old Verbatim USB key & 3 instances of the Crucial SSD firmware update image as my only boot devices. I don't think I can even select a boot device of any sort in the "Boot Override" in the "Save & Exit" section of the BIOS, I think I have to use "F12" if I want to boot from a USB key.

I've tried resetting the BOIS to defaults, clearing it via the jumper & by pulling the battery but I can't seem to get the boot order to clear out these old entries.

Ideally I'd like to set the BIOS so I'm explicitly booting UEFI from my 850 Pro SSD with the ODD next.

Any idea how to clear out, reset or re-detect the possible boot devices for my system?

Thank you!

-TheBrabo
    Strange indeed.
    Did you reset the CMOS with the little black button "CMOS SW":

Did you flash the latest BIOS (I think yes (20E) according to your specs)

- Unplug computer, wait 2 minutes
    - Reset CMOS (little black button in the corner next to the blue one and the big yellow one)
    - Re-plug computer
    - Reboot, Re-enter BIOS
    - Load optimized default
    - Save, Next reboot re-enter BIOS
    - Set your other settings, Save, reboot

That shoult do it

If not re-flash with latest beta modified BIOS
    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-13-2015, 05:46 PM. Reason: typo
    Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
    16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
    OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
    Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Re: Old drives in the "Boot Options" Menu

Hi Teddybehr,

I have tried resetting the BIOS before by using the jumper & pulling the battery...I can't say I've ever used the motherboard button before. I followed your instructions and the BIOS prompted me to load the defaults, once it rebooted I got into the BIOS to check the boot options and now there are the original 4 phantom entries plus two new ones (paraphrased): "P0:850" Pro & "P3:DVD-ROM" drive.

As I understand it the "Px:<device>" devices are not booting\detected as UEFI devices? The system booted fine having selected the "P0:850 Pro" device.

Thanks for the reply & please let me know if there's something else you want em to try.

-TheBrabo</device>

Comment

Re: Old drives in the &quot;Boot Options&quot; Menu

Hi Teddybehr,

I have tried resetting the BIOS before by using the jumper & pulling the battery...I can't say I've ever used the motherboard button before. I followed your instructions and the BIOS prompted me to load the defaults, once it rebooted I got into the BIOS to check the boot options and now there are the original 4 phantom entries plus two new ones (paraphrased): "P0:850" Pro & "P3:DVD-ROM" drive.

As I understand it the "Px:<device>" devices are not booting\detected as UEFI devices? Exactly The system booted fine having selected the "P0:850 Pro" device. Great!

Thanks for the reply & please let me know if there's something else you want em to try.

-TheBrabo</device>
        see red comments above

Well,
        To be sure you can always re-flash your BIOS (20e or 20e with the latest mod, see Latest modified Bios thread, I just modded a 20e recently)
        - remove the USB key (if you use QFlash at boot and put the BIOS file on a non-bootable USB key) after the 3 seconds count down and shut down when re-booting. If you used @bios in Windows mode to flash, shut-down, clear CMOS (with the black button)
        - go to "advanced" mode
        - load optimized default (press F7, I think)
        - Enable "port 60/64 emulation" in Peripherals section because I just saw that you have a old great keyboard (great but old) that is not compatible with Win 8.1 so is it plugged into the PS/2 port?. Same for the mouse (if plugged USB, it need port emulation 60/64 "enabled") .

At that point I would enable only the Samsung 850 pro (the one with the OS) in the "System" tab "ATA port information" then come back latter to enable the other SSD/HDD after everything is settled
        - save, reboot
        - re-enter BIOS immediately, finalize settings including "Hard Drive ...BBS boot priority" put the OS containing SSD: "Samsung 850 pro" first and Boot option priority (the "P0:850 pro" thing) first
        - save settings
        You're good to go

Do you want to check if Win 8 was install in UEFI mode as well as Legacy? Or re-install Win 8.1 in UEFI mode? (to use the ultra-fast boot feature among other Win 8.1 goodies)
        If yes, when check or re-installation. Be sure to Put "OS mode" at "Win 8", Boot mode "UEFI and Legacy", Storage boot at "UEFI only" so it will ask for a UEFI installation pathway (USB or DVD) like for example "UEFI: Win 8 DVD" instead of "P0: Win 8 DVD" if no "UEFI:something" then nothing is installed in UEFI or has the possibility to be Installed in UEFI.
        Come back for more info about full UEFI booting if needed (your graphic card MUST be UEFI compliant to boot in full UEFI mode).
        Hope it helps
        Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-18-2015, 11:37 PM. Reason: precisions
        Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
        GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
        16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
        OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Ok, so let me try to answer these in order....

I'm running 20e BIOS from 01/06/14. I downloaded the modded f20e BIOS just now & it has a date of 01/10/14. Where can I get this updated version?

I have not re-flashed the BIOS yet but am willing to give it a shot. Graphics card is an AMD R9-270.

That's the thing, the USB key in my boot options isn't plugged into the board & hasn't been for a long time. Same thing with the Mircon SSD boot images. I flashed 3 SSD's back when an MX100 firmware update came out last (a couple of months). As far as I know I have "emulation 60/64" on. I'm clacking away on the Model M right now. I also use a Logitech Mouseman + USB mouse.

I currently have Windows 8.1 installed in UEFI mode with Secure Boot enabled & it working without issue that I can tell. If I had never looked in the BIOS I likely never would have even noticed that the boot options had these old (odd) entries listed. That said, I'd really like to see my SSD listed as "UEFI: 850 Pro" instead of "P0: 850 Pro".

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Ok, so let me try to answer these in order....

I'm running 20e BIOS from 01/06/14. I downloaded the modded f20e BIOS just now & it has a date of 01/10/14. Where can I get this updated version?
            In the "Gigabyte Modified BIOS" sticky thread
            but there you go
            z77xud3h_mod_20e_T

I have not re-flashed the BIOS yet but am willing to give it a shot. Graphics card is an AMD R9-270.(Manufacturer?) Go to your graphic card manufacturer website to be absolutely sure that your graphic card support UEFI otherwise the screen will be black when you boot and you will have to reset CMOS again to see back something during booting. Otherwise you will end up like many ppl posting on this board that they see nothing during booting and are not able to enter BIOS

That's the thing, the USB key in my boot options isn't plugged into the board & hasn't been for a long time. Same thing with the Mircon SSD boot images. I flashed 3 SSD's back when an MX100 firmware update came out last (a couple of months). Re-flash your BIOS with QFlash that way it will be fixed for good

As far as I know I have "emulation 60/64" on. I'm clacking away on the Model M right now. I also use a Logitech Mouseman + USB mouse. Good because it is probably a USB 1.0 or 1.1 and the BIOS can "see" it many other way than a keyboard or a mouse

I currently have Windows 8.1 installed in UEFI mode with Secure Boot enabled & it working without issue that I can tell. Impossible otherwise you will never have seen "P0:850" in the "boot priority" option if
            - "OS type"="Win 8"
            - "CSM support"="Never" this one may be at "Always" then you will see (or should see):
            - "Boot menu selection"= "UEFI"
            - "Storage Boot Option control"= "UEFI only" NOT "UEFI First" or "Legacy First" or "Legacy Only"

If I had never looked in the BIOS I likely never would have even noticed that the boot options had these old (odd) entries listed. You would not have seen those (P0:whatever) if you would have been in full UEFI mode Only
            - "CSM support disable" or "CSM support enable" and
            - "Boot menu selection"= "UEFI" (only)

That said, I'd really like to see my SSD listed as "UEFI: 850 Pro" instead of "P0: 850 Pro". Hopefully you will. If your Win 8.1 is installed in UEFI and if you are booting in storage boot option control "UEFI only"

-TheBrabo
            see comments

If anything happen you can always reset CMOS and ...well you know the drill
            Hope it helps
            Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-19-2015, 01:18 AM. Reason: clarifications

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Real quick here's a screenshot of my system info:

http://i.imgur.com/7C2xEIJ.png

I swear that I have the "P0:850 Pro" set as my boot device. I certainly can't confirm that something isn't jacked up & might be displaying wrong, but I was just in there having reset my BIOS.

I will give the modded BIOS a shot tomorrow, thanks for the link.

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Real quick here's a screenshot of my system info:

http://i.imgur.com/7C2xEIJ.png

I swear that I have the "P0:850 Pro" set as my boot device. I certainly can't confirm that something isn't jacked up & might be displaying wrong, but I was just in there having reset my BIOS.

I will give the modded BIOS a shot tomorrow, thanks for the link.

-TheBrabo
                I have no doubts about what you're seeing. I have doubts about your BIOS settings in respect of UEFI handling
                Have you check if your graphic card is UEFI compliant?
                Next time please post settings about this tab in your BIOS:
                http://s12.postimg.org/a5k4vmmh9/Gigabyte_Features.jpg
                Thanx

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

So I gave the latest modded BIOS a whirl & this is where things get weird.

I flashed the modded BIOS per your instructions, the system rebooted a couple of times & when it allowed me back into the BIOS I could see that I now had 3 entries in my "Boot Options":

UEFI:850 PRo
                  P0:WD Black HD
                  P3:DVD-ROM

The "OS Type" was set to "Other OS" & CSM was set to "Always".

So I set "OS type" to "Windows 8" & that brought back the "Px:" entries to the boot order. I rebooted & changed the "CSM" type to "Never" & that eliminated the "Px:" entries from the "Boot Options" & brought back the phantom Micron firmware boot entries, but my real boot device isn't listed at all.

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

So I gave the latest modded BIOS a whirl & this is where things get weird.

I flashed the modded BIOS per your instructions, the system rebooted a couple of times & when it allowed me back into the BIOS I could see that I now had 3 entries in my "Boot Options":

UEFI:850 PRo
                    P0:WD Black HD
                    P3:DVD-ROM

The "OS Type" was set to "Other OS" & CSM was set to "Always".

So I set "OS type" to "Windows 8" & that brought back the "Px:" entries to the boot order. I rebooted & changed the "CSM" type to "Never" & that eliminated the "Px:" entries from the "Boot Options" & brought back the phantom Micron firmware boot entries, but my real boot device isn't listed at all.

-TheBrabo
                    When CSM support is set at "never' you do not see "UEFI:850 Pro"?! (Sometimes in UEFI mode it can also show "Windows Boot Manager" in boot option)
                    Is secure boot set at "Enable"?
                    if yes delete keys and turn it off
                    Is "fast boot" "enabled? if yes turn it off

Try it like above first, then if it's still not working:

Set:
                    OS Type "Win 8"
                    CSM support "Always"
                    Boot mode selection: "UEFI and Legacy"
                    Storage Boot Option Control: "UEFI Only"
                    Secure boot "Disable"

Your Micron thing is strange. Do you have anything "Micron" on your computer (on the board or plugged in)

If not, it is probably the old keyboard or your old mouse that is detected as Micron (check in your Windows about the driver used to control those things in "Device Manager"
                    Hope it helps
                    Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-19-2015, 04:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

The Micron entries are in the "Boot Options" in the BIOS. They are left over from when I updated a couple of SSD's a couple of months ago. The process was kind of cool where the Micron updater apparently changed something in the boot order to point to a boot image on my system...I think it actually booted a Linux disto do do the flashing, but it doesn't seem to have cleaned up very well once the flashing was complete. I don't see any of these Micron devices in Windows. Everything I'm asking about is pre-Windows boot stuff.

When "CSM Support" is set to never I do not see any of my devices listed at all, I only see some combination of these 4 phantom devices (the USB key & the Mircon devices).

Secure boot is set to enable, "Fast Boot" has never been enabled.

It seem that things are closest to what I think "working correctly" when I flash your updated BIOS & reset the system. At that point I can see my SSD listed as "UEFI:850 Pro" & I don't see any of the phantom devices. Things get worse the more I change the CSM settings. When I change the "OS type" to "Windows" "UEFI:850 Pro" turns into "P0:850 Pro" & when I change "CSM Support" to never I get the phantom entries back & lose the "P0:850 Pro" entry.

I will try your CSM setting & report back.

Thanks for following the thread!

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

The Micron entries are in the "Boot Options" in the BIOS. They are left over from when I updated a couple of SSD's a couple of months ago. The process was kind of cool where the Micron updater apparently changed something in the boot order to point to a boot image on my system...I think it actually booted a Linux disto do do the flashing, but it doesn't seem to have cleaned up very well once the flashing was complete. I don't see any of these Micron devices in Windows. Everything I'm asking about is pre-Windows boot stuff.

When "CSM Support" is set to never I do not see any of my devices listed at all, I only see some combination of these 4 phantom devices (the USB key & the Mircon devices).

Secure boot is set to enable, "Fast Boot" has never been enabled.

It seem that things are closest to what I think "working correctly" when I flash your updated BIOS & reset the system. At that point I can see my SSD listed as "UEFI:850 Pro" & I don't see any of the phantom devices. Things get worse the more I change the CSM settings. When I change the "OS type" to "Windows" "UEFI:850 Pro" turns into "P0:850 Pro" & when I change "CSM Support" to never I get the phantom entries back & lose the "P0:850 Pro" entry.

I will try your CSM setting & report back.

Thanks for following the thread!

-TheBrabo
                        Yeah please try them.

If not successful. Please post your BIOS settings (all of them) in the "BIOS Features" tab.
                        Post also your graphic card manufacturer. If you're not able to find if it's UEFI booting compatible, I will.
                        Disabling all other SATA port than your Samsung 850 pro (probably SATA Port 0) can help for diagnostic. When everything will be OK, re-enable the other ones.

Note also that:
                        - Fast Boot, Ultra fast boot
                        - Secure Boot
                        Are UEFI features ONLY. Enabling them if you're not in FULL UEFI booting mode (CSM support disable) can creates conflicts.

Helping someone in another thread and I found that:
                        It seems to be that your Samsung 850 pro might have a firmware problem and it seems to be quite common. Contact Samsung support or browse internet. There are solutions posted here and there on the net.

BEWARE of new Samsung 850 PRO Firmware! - AnandTech Forums
                        Regards

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Here are some screenshots of my BIOS:

BIOS Weirdness - Album on Imgur

the first 6 shots are with my BIOS set per your request in post #10.

The last 4 are how I have it set right now. As in I took the last 4 screenshots, exited the BIOS & booted into Windows 8.1.

Also, my video card is a Gigabyte GV-R927OC-2GD.

-TheBrabo

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Here are some screenshots of my BIOS:

BIOS Weirdness - Album on Imgur

the first 6 shots are with my BIOS set per your request in post #10.

The last 4 are how I have it set right now. As in I took the last 4 screenshots, exited the BIOS & booted into Windows 8.1.

Also, my video card is a Gigabyte GV-R927OC-2GD.

-TheBrabo
                            The only explanation is that you have remaining Linux partition or something like that. Check with Minitool partition wizard.
                            Those micron uefi boot image do no come from thin air

- Remove all your SSD except Samsung 850 Pro
                            - re-flash bios (this erase everything), do the drill like loading optimized default, ....
                            - be sure to disable secure boot
                            - boot Win 8.1 (P0:...)
                            - Check your partitions with minitool

If the Micron thing come back again it's because you may have a ext3 ext4 partition on your 850 pro somewhere that you will see with Minitool.
                            It can also be a FAT32 partition with your Micron firmware boot loader that is a UEFI boot loader (obviously) but it is not Windows 8.1 UEFI boot loader.
                            It can also be you verbatim USB key that is bootable. I saw UEFI:verbatim... and/or contain the Micron UEFI bootloader

So it has to be deleted in a safe way without modifying your partitions structure (you can check with diskpart also). Beware of the hidden partition. They are important too.
                            In that case you will have to decide if you want to keep your Win 8.1 in Legacy mode (P0:850) or you re-install your win 8.1 in full UEFI mode (or in Legacy mode if you wish)

I will do the follow up promise
                            regards
                            Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-20-2015, 01:56 AM. Reason: added precision

Comment

Hi Teddybehr,

Here is what I get in the partition wizard tool with all my drives attached:

Imgur

-TheBrabo

Comment

Working...
                              X