Z97X-UD3H-BK & 4 DIMMS (Hackintosh)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z97X-UD3H-BK & 4 DIMMS (Hackintosh)

I'm having very frequent freezing issues when running OS X on my machine. I've got 4 sticks of 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866mhz RAM for a total of 32gb:

HX318C10FWK2/16
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - White (HX318C10FWK2/16) - Newegg.com

I've tried turning off C-States and upping my RAM voltage to 1.6V (can't do 1.65, it only goes in increments of 0.2, so either 1.64 or 1.66). I don't have any way of setting XMP as it's greyed out, but I believe thats because the RAM doesn't support it. None of these solutions work.

My motherboard is rev 1.1 running on BIOS F6 (yet to update to F7 as I don't know the steps).

I've decided to remove two of the sticks and run only 16gb (2x8gb) and my uptime has been 9 hours without a problem (knock on wood).

HOWEVER, when I run Windows from another partition, 32GB work perfectly fine! What the hell?! Is there something that OS X does that Windows doesn't to make my computer completely freeze up (everything stalls but the image remains on screen).

I've been told about the Qualified Vendors List of RAM, but how guaranteed is that to fix the 32GB/4 DIMMS issue I'm having?

My current build is:

Fractal Design Define R4 Case
    Intel Core i7 4790k
    Seasonic X650 Power Supply
    Asus Strix 960 GTX 4GB
    Phanteks TC14PE Cooler
    Last edited by energy23; 07-12-2015, 10:22 AM.

Re: Z97X-UD3H-BK & 4 DIMMS (Hackintosh)

Keep away from BIOS F7 until all other options exhausted.
    I'd star by running MemTest86 or Memtest86+ for few full passes on all memory first.
    If you are running MemTest86 disable hammer test which is more likely to fail.

Comment

Working...
    X