• Gigabyte Z87X OC + MSI R9 290X Lightning/Sapphire R9 285 oc no boot

Ok so heres my current setup:
    Gigabyte z87x oc bios: F9c
    i7 4790K@4800mhz
    Gskill 16bg@2133 (4x4gb)
    Gigabyte HD7970
    Seasonic 700w
    Windows 8.1 pro 64bit

This is my nr2 gaming computer, and i have tried the Msi R9 290X Lightning + the Sapphire R9 285, but they wont boot at all, not even to bios, no picture what so ever, in any slot.
    I have a feeling this is a bios problem, cause all my older gfx (HD 7970/HD 7870/GTX 560/GTX 560 ti 448 core) all work with this motherboard.

Im using the Msi R9 290X Lightning in another motherboard (Gigabyte Sniper B5 and Asrock Z97 pro4) and it works like a charm, just they wont boot with my Gigabyte z87x oc.

Anybody have some experience with this, i would really like to be able to use the 290X in the Z87X oc motherboard due to the awesome memory overclocking capabilities on the Z87X oc mobo
    Any help or suggestion would be awesome...thanks :)

Re: Gigabyte Z87X OC + MSI R9 290X Lightning/Sapphire R9 285 oc no boot

I contacted Gigabyte e-support
    They replied really fast.

"Hello,

Press DEL get into BIOS --> move to BIOS Features Setup --> Change the PCI ROM Priority to Legacy (default is EFI Compatible ROM) --> Save the setting and reboot.

Please check if your graphics card need VGA BIOS update for UEFI compliant mode."

Did that with another old GTX 560 so I could boot to bios, changed the PCI to legacy and... boom, my Msi R9 290X Lightning booted just fine :)
    Thank you Gigabyte e-support...

I`ll let this post just sit here incase someone else is having the same problem.....

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Norz View Post
      I contacted Gigabyte e-support
      They replied really fast.

"Hello,

Press DEL get into BIOS --> move to BIOS Features Setup --> Change the PCI ROM Priority to Legacy (default is EFI Compatible ROM) --> Save the setting and reboot.

Please check if your graphics card need VGA BIOS update for UEFI compliant mode."

Did that with another old GTX 560 so I could boot to bios, changed the PCI to legacy and... boom, my Msi R9 290X Lightning booted just fine :)
      Thank you Gigabyte e-support...

I`ll let this post just sit here incase someone else is having the same problem.....

Cheers
      Or you can go on your manufacturer site and see if there is a UEFI (GOP) vBIOS released.
      Which is your case Norz

P.S. This is a well documented situation and a as well (Haswell, get it) documented BIOS settings throughout many section the Gigabyte forum.
      Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
      GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
      16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
      OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
      Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybehr View Post
        Or you can go on your manufacturer site and see if there is a UEFI (GOP) vBIOS released.
        Which is your case Norz

P.S. This is a well documented situation and a as well (Haswell, get it) documented BIOS settings throughout many section the Gigabyte forum.
        On my Sapphire R9 285, theres a Small switch on the top of the pcb. So you can change the bios to UEFI with just a flick.
        In my case I tried, and that did not work, maybe a faulty switch/buttom on my card. Changing the Motherboards bios setting did work.

Comment

Originally posted by Norz View Post
          On my , theres a Small switch on the top of the pcb. So you can change the bios to UEFI with just a flick.
          In my case I tried, and that did not work, maybe a faulty switch/buttom on my card. Changing the Motherboards bios setting did work.
          I was talking about your Gigabyte HD7970
          How many video cards do you have?

Did you specified which card to initialize first in your BIOS setup?

The default settings for your R9 285 is that it will use the Legacy mode. You have to press the switch to be in UEFI mode.
          When you pressed your switch on your R9 285 (sapphire logo on) did you
          - Unplug your computer, re-plug it
          - Reset your BIOS, load optimized default, ....?

What are your BIOS settings regarding OS mode, Boot mode, ...?

I mean, you're fine, its just that you're probably not booting in full UEFI mode (assuming that your Win 8.1 was installed in UEFI mode) and be able to use ultra fast boot and secure boot (no one want the latest one anyway)
          As ppl say, if it is not broke don't fix it.
          regards
          Last edited by Teddybehr; 07-09-2015, 09:14 PM. Reason: typo
          Board: GA-Z77X-UD3H Rev 1.0 BIOS: 20e modded CPU: Intel i5-3570k Memory: Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 4X4GB @1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T
          GPU: EVGA GTX 980 FTW SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 256 GB (Addonics 4x card interface) , Intel 730 240 GB, Samsung EVO 840 240 GB X2,
          16 TB iSCSI 2XRAID0 2XRAID1 (Hitachi HDD, LUN) QNAP TS-469L PSU: Seasonic X-1250 KB:Log. G110 Mouse: Log. G502
          OSes: Win 8.1 x64 UEFI/Win 7 x64 UEFI Dual Boot VM: K Linux, OSX Leopard, Win 10, Win XP, HP Integrity (rem), Whonix Other: HP Proliant server
          Other interface: Pangolin QM2000.NET Lasers controller

Comment

Working...
          X