Gigabyte Z97X-SOC boot failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z97X-SOC boot failure

I recently picked up the Z97X-SOC and a 4790k to replace my ASUS P6T Deluxe and the mighty i7 920. Im seriously missing ASUS right now. I havent owned a gigabyte board in over 10 years

Now, I have that paired with G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2400MHz TridentX using nothing more than X.M.P. (These damned 4790k's run freaking hot).

But frequently if I reboot the system Ill get the "Boot failure detected", it will then take a further 3 resets to be able to even use the motherboard/keyboard to select enter BIOS. Which is freaking annoying and makes me miss my P6T Deluxe.

In the BIOS I can literally F10, save and boot to windows just fine. Ive flashed the BIOS to F6, so it shouldnt be a BIOS issue. A google search has me seemingly alone on the issue. Which is why Ive turned to you fine folks.

Anyone using this board came across this issue or have any ideas on how to resolve it? I have "loaded optimized defaults" and yet the issues returns, not every reboot, just frequently. Its more common on a reboot than from a cold start.

Cheers,
    Nige

Re: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC boot failure

Try to disable XMP.
    Which modules are those C9 or C10?
    And what is exactly running hot (and how hot?)

Comment

CL10. The CPU runs hot. Leaving everything at stock, the gigabyte board enabled turbo core and running IBT it would hit 82c.

Last night I spent some time manually clocking the chip to 4.7. Its stable for 3 hours so far at the same voltage. So temps are the same.

But I think it was somemof the CPU's volts that didn't like the memory at 2400. As now she will reboot over and over trouble free.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Keep in mind that 4790k with default setting is likely to double GFlops the i7 920 could have done OCed, use non AVX IBT and it will run cool.
        This is still less than it can do, LinX 0.6.5 (200GFlops or more with defaults) and Prime95 28.5 will run even hotter

Comment

Flash to F7 BIOS.
          To fine set value in BIOS,please read this guide:
          The GIGABYTE Z97X Overclocking Guide

Comment

I initially tried to flash to F7, but gotna "wrong size" error or something like that.

On closer inspection it seems F7 is specific to the FORCE variant and that F6 is non FORCE. I'm happy to be proved wrong however.

The article you linked is certainly worth a read. Thanks. Stable at 4.7 @ 2.85 at present.

Comment

Yea,my mistake......BIOS F6 (non FORCE).

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
                Yea,my mistake......BIOS F6 (non FORCE).
                Having set up an RMA on this board due to the cold boot issue driving me crazy. Basically every cold boot she will run for a few moments then hard shutdown and POST with the BOOT FAILURE DETECTION" window.

I can then head into UEFI, F10,save and happily game all night long.

Ive tried CMOS reset, load default values, overclock, underclock, stock clock with boost off. All result in the cold boot issue!!

Ive just seen the F7a BIOS update and flashed that, but as the system is on, I wont now know till tomorrow if it persists.

If it does Im done with this board.

Comment

Yea,try latest Beta BIOS.
                  Second,you can try to boot with minimal hardware connected to your board..(only neccessery ,even with 1 stick of RAM).

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I have so far tried with only 2 SSD's connected. Disconnecting the storage HDD I have. And F7a has been flashed.

I have downloaded memtest and loaded it on a stick ready to test the board. Problem is we are currently so busy at work I'm I'm leaving at 5:15am and not arriving home till ~7PM, so my patience is quite thin. When I'm only doing 45 hour weeks I'd be all over this and enjoying the challenge.

Issue is the board meets what I need, great overclocker and short on features such as onboard flashy audio etc. I'm a gamer/overclocker with a nice soundcard. I don't want audio radars and such.

Should this board be persist and memtest runs through tonite. Any recommendations on a replacement?

Comment

Cant find the edit button.

But...Today it hasnt shutdown on its first boot! Hopefully F7a has fixed the issue!!!

Comment

OK, with f7a, things are improved, but every cold boot now starts with D4 on the debug. PCI Resources allocation error

A quick reboot will fix it, but if you dont the OS will slowly grind to a halt before hard locking.

Comment

Will upload today...F7b.

Comment

Try with another PSU

Comment

Im pretty certain Ive nailed this down with F7b.

With my corsair Voyager 16gb USB stick plugged in the board goes loopy at boot.

Heres a poor video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvjRIGJl0qY

If I unplug every USB device except for my mouse and keyboard I can boot through perfectly!

But with everything plugged in except the Voyager stick (That was only in to flash the BIOS) we are back to D4 on FIRST cold boot with nothing more than:

Logitech G15 Keyobard
                              Logitech G700 mouse
                              Logitech G27 racing wheel
                              XBOX 360 pad

Im willing to bet it all on the logitech G27 now! I should of picked up on it before, but with this board with my G27 cycles its power three times at boot. On my ASUS P6T Deluxe board the G27 begins its power up calibration once windows has loaded.

With this board it starts to calibrate and abruptly finishes twice before windows 8 has loaded then on the third time it succesfully calibrates.

It surely down to the way is loading windows. Is there a fix for this, can it be fixed in a BIOS revision?

EDIT: Heres a link to the bizarre pulsing the wheel does with this board.

https://youtu.be/S1NE9EJNDes
                              Last edited by FPSNige; 07-03-2015, 06:59 AM. Reason: added YT link

Comment

Working...
                              X