Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce DisplayPort Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce DisplayPort Issues

Hey y'all, I'm new around here and posting because I couldn't find anywhere else to get support from Gigabyte, feel free to point me in the right direction if there's somewhere else I should go.

I just did a new computer build and it's been running smoothly except for one (admittedly, serious) issue. I have a Gigabyte Windforce R9 290X and when I connect it via DisplayPort it has a lot of glitches. It would crash (not the computer, just the display i.e. screen goes black with the message "DisplayPort no signal") fairly often and had some issues with games. I ran the autodetect utility and it crashes when it reaches the end of the update process. Device Manager says my driver is version 14.501.1003.0 which it says is up to date but AutoDetect says it needs an update. Some I'm a little confused as to how to fix this crashing issue, it happened frequently enough that I had to switch to HDMI (sad because I'm running 4K and that can only do 30hz). Let me know if anyone has any insight, system info below.

Monitor: Asus PB287Q
    Video Card: Gigabyte AMD R9 290X Windforce
    Mobo: ASRock Extreme3 Z97
    Processor: Intel i7 4790k running at stock (have to figure this out first)

I'll be happy to supply any more if people deem it relevant.

Re: Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce DisplayPort Issues

I've not had quite that, and I'm using X99 plus an r295x2, but I have had some DisplayPort issues which could be related. Mine were driver version independent (I tried all sensible available drivers).

My symptoms were that there was indeed no DisplayPort signal. I switched to DVI (so only 4k@30Hz), and could coax the DisplayPort (which is hot pluggable) to drive the at the same level now and then. Other symptoms were than waggling the cable about would make Windows 8.1 "device connexion" sounds. The culprit was a flaky cable, which was the one which came with the 4K monitor.

They RMAed my card and cable, and returned the card with a new cable. Then it got interesting... I could make DisplayPort work, but only at 4k@30Hz: the AMD driver reported that the monitor refused to respond at 60Hz. I could only clear that by turning everything off overnight and completely cold booting the lot in the morning. Once I did that, 60Hz was back and it's all good.

My conclusions, for my case, are then:
    1. DisplayPort bandwidths leave less tolerance for the cables. I've never had a failed cable since about 1976, but this one failed, and it was a brand new monitor-supplier cable.
    2. Possibly even in sleep mode my Benq 4k monitor has some retained memory which was preventing a good cable running at full speed after I'd used a bad cable. Maybe this could be cleared by using another DisplayPort output (I did not try that), it can be cleared by a total cold boot as above.

Your mileage may vary... I'd be interested to know what your issue was though for future reference.

Comment

Re: Gigabyte R9 290x Windforce DisplayPort Issues

Interesting, I'll try seeing if I can reset my monitor when I get home later today. I bought a new cord a couple days ago thinking that was the issue but that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem, so it could be a settings thing.

Comment

Working...
      X