Machine won't turn on - Need help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine won't turn on - Need help Please

Hi all, new to the board and looking for some help, hope this is the right category to post this in.

I assume my rig specs will show up as I added to my profile.

Many BSOD and numerous forced shut offs after error message stated that it was collecting info and then would shut off but wouldn't. According to the error reports they were caused by my Wacom Pad and my Vcadd program. Not sure why.

The last time with the BSOD I forced it down and now it will not restart.
    I thought for sure it was the PSU and purchased another but it was not. following installing the new and no results I tried the original in my old rig and it powered up without issue.

When turning on the PSU I get a half second flicker of light at the red start button on the Motherboard, that's it, nothing else. Usually with the PSU on this red start button remains lit.

I have taken out the graphics card to eliminate that possibility.

I built this machine and other than he BSOD it has worked flawlesly for the last months. The Motherboard has not been removed and no possibility of anything hitting or having changed.

So, now, not sure what is next, CPU or Motherboard. If one or the other I do not now how to determine which?
    Last edited by Ram Castle; 03-28-2015, 07:32 PM.

Re: Machine won't turn on - Need help Please

Have you made any changes to the Bios?

have you looked in the Event Viewer to see what the error code is that is causing the BSOD?

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Don't remember the exact error codes but all named the Wacom pad and he vcadd program.

Have not changed the BIOS, it's whatever it was when it came new.
      Last edited by Ram Castle; 03-28-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Castle View Post
        Don't remember the exact error codes but all named the Wacom pad and he vcadd program.

Have not changed the BIOS, it's whatever it was when it came new.
        Does the power supply fan or the processor fan begin to spin and stop? I would think about clearing BIOS and re-trying, unplug all the usb devices and any other device plugged into the motherboard, try swapping video card out, just take the power supply and motherboard and see if it runs with nothing else by watching the fans. Are there any diagnostic lights on the motherboard, These is just a bucketful of suggestions in no order.

Comment

Originally posted by catfish252 View Post
          Does the power supply fan or the processor fan begin to spin and stop? I would think about clearing BIOS and re-trying, unplug all the usb devices and any other device plugged into the motherboard, try swapping video card out, just take the power supply and motherboard and see if it runs with nothing else by watching the fans. Are there any diagnostic lights on the motherboard, These is just a bucketful of suggestions in no order.
          No that's the problem. It acts like there is no power at all but I did the paperclip test on the power supply as well as hooked it up to an old rig and it works.
          No fans, no lights no nothing.
          I get nothing on the board except the split second flash of light on the motherboards start button that usually remains lit.
          I removed the video card altogether to eliminate that possibility.

Comment

did you clear cmos? If that doesn't help if you have another machine swap the motherboard out

Comment

Originally posted by catfish252 View Post
              did you clear cmos? If that doesn't help if you have another machine swap the motherboard out
              Getting to clearing the CMOS now. Everything is now disconnected from the board except the CPU.

I have a feeling it's the board but would like to be able to know for sure. I don't have another machine with a compatible board.

Thanks for your interest and replies.
              Last edited by Ram Castle; 03-29-2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Castle View Post
                Getting to clearing the CMOS now. Everything is now disconnected from the board except the CPU.

I have a feeling it's the board but would like to be able to know for sure. I don't have another machine with a compatible board.

Thanks for your interest and replies.
                No problem --It doesn't make sense that a blue screen would take out a motherboard unless it was the motherboard failing that caused it, have tried a single stick of ram and swapping them I suppose. Sorry I couldn't help you better.

Comment

I would had tried "Loading Optimized Defaults" first. re-boot go back in the bios to set your Drive settings (IDE/AHCI/RAID etc...)

and then see what would had happened then

To see the error go to the tiles (metro) and type "Event" then select "View Event Logs" look at the System and Application logs area and look for a red X icon and go through them.

Vin
                  Main Rig
                  OS = Win10-64Bit
                  CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                  Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                  MB = Asus ROG C6H
                  GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                  HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                  PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                  Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                  OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                  CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                  Mem = 24GB RAM
                  MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                  GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                  HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                  Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                  PSU = Corsair TX750
                  Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                  X