Installing new chipset drivers on X58A-UD3R following clean Win7 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new chipset drivers on X58A-UD3R following clean Win7 install

I'm installing a new SSD on a custom built computer which I built myself in 2010. The motherboard is a GA-X58A-UD3R Socket 1366 Rev 2.0

I see no need to update the BIOS at this time, but would like to install the latest drivers if possible. Ordinarily, I'd simply insert the CD that came with the MB and let it scan and install the appropriate drivers. But since there have been several driver updates in the last five years, this seems like a good time to install them.

Gigabyte offers an online Download Center which proportedly will scan a computer system, identify needed drivers and install them. That sounds great, but I won't have yet installed an Internet browser at the point at which I intend to install the drivers. (Just after the installation of Windows 7 and its numerous updates)

I've downloaded and saved the latest drivers onto a (non-bootable) USB stick. These include:

Chipset drivers (Intel INF installation)
    LAN drivers
    -- Realtek Ethernet Diagnostic Utility
    -- Realtec LAN driver
    SATA RAID/ACHI drivers
    -- Intel SATA Preinstall Driver
    -- Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST)
    -- GIGABYTE SATA Preinstall driver
    -- Marvell RAID Preinstall Driver (SATA3 for ACHI Mode.
    -- Marvell RAID Utility (SATA3)
    -- Marvel RAID Driver (SATA3) for ACHI mode
    -- Marvel Console Driver (SATA3)

My Questions Are:
    To install these drivers, is it just a matter of plugging in the USB stick, locating the files that contain each indivicual driver and clicking on each to install them? I'm assuming after I've installed the OS, I WILL have working, functioning USB ports, but don't really know for sure.

If I find I can't load and update the drivers in the manner described above, can I at anytime after the original drivers are loaded from the CD just go ahead and install the updated drivers over top of the already existing drivers using Gigabyte's online Download Center? Or, will there be possible conflicts I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Last edited by frankhad; 03-09-2015, 09:13 AM. Reason: formatting & spacing

Re: Installing new chipset drivers on X58A-UD3R following clean Win7 install

Download the chipset software from intel, should be an exe you can run. If you're using AHCI and not a RAID array you won't need IRST, otherwise you'll need IRST Pre install driver.

You can find the latest drivers for your other devices here

i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Titanium HD
    EVGA GTX 970
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    Samsung 850 EVO
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Comment

Thank you, Peakr. I'm probably not going to download those drivers from Intel. I've already downloaded the latest drivers provided by Gigabyte and am content to use those instead. I was just curious to know if installing them was simply a matter of clicking on the executable files. And would they replace and update already existing drivers without conflict. I've just spent the last two weeks researching all I needed to know to install Windows 7 (OEM) on a new SSD. I'm now trying to anticipate where any potential problems may lie before I bite the bullet and proceed with the installation.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to respond.

Comment

Do not run any driver installation program from a USB flash drive. Copy the files from the USB flash drive to the OS drive somewhere (the Download folder is a good spot).

The USB 2.0 ports on your board will be the only ones that will be functioning without a driver, if you are using Windows 7. During the installation process, the USB 2.0 ports are the only ones that will be functioning.

Every driver and utility program on my board's download pages are compressed .zip files, that must be extracted before the executable program can be used. I doubt that your board is any different. Extracting the files and then running them on a USB flash drive will be slower than any HDD or SSD. A few driver installation programs will not run, or will not run correctly from a USB flash drive.

Right click on the executable program and select Run as administrator.

All of the SATA "preinstall" drivers do not contain an executable driver installation program. The term preinstall refers to driver files that are loaded manually during an early phase of a Windows installation, thus pre (OS) install drivers. Most of the preinstall drivers (Intel, Marvell) are RAID drivers, although they usually have AHCI drivers included. If you are not using RAID as the SATA mode for any of your board's SATA chipsets that support RAID, you don't need to use those drivers. If you are not using the Marvell or Gigabyte SATA interfaces for your OS drive (I would only recommend using the Intel SATA interface), you don't need to install any of the Marvell or Gigabyte preinstall drivers. The standard Windows AHCI driver will be loaded automatically for those SATA interfaces.

The Windows installation media contains some built in preinstall type drivers, such as for Intel and AMD chipsets, and quite a few others. I would only trust Windows 7 and beyond to have decent (somewhat up to date) versions of these preinstall drivers. Again only for RAID mode, would I use the Intel preinstall SATA driver. I don't know how up to date Gigabyte has kept the drivers for your board, but the difference in versions between the original X58 board drivers and the latest ones is substantial. Actually, the latest IRST driver versions are not compatible with your board's Intel ICH10R SATA chipset.

You can always install a newer version of a driver over an earlier version without first uninstalling the older version first. There are exceptions to this, such as video drivers for video cards, although removing the old driver is not always required. All of the basic drivers and utility programs you are using can be installed over whatever version is installed.

The only installation program you should run first, before any others, is the Chipset drivers (Intel INF installation) program. That identifies the Intel hardware on a board for the other driver installation programs.

Personally, I install all my drivers before I allow any Windows updates to be installed. Since drivers can affect the performance and functioning of hardware, why would I want less than optimal performance while installing the endless Windows updates?

I also do not connect network cables to the PC during a Windows installation, to prevent it from installing things I don't want installed, including drivers. I also don't allow any automatic updates to be installed, I let them be listed and choose what I want to be installed. I have no need for Chinese or Japanese font updates, as people in those countries will have no need for daylight savings time updates for the USA. But this is just my way of doing things, which does not mean it is how everyone should do it, or that it is better than other methods.

Comment

Thank you, Parsec. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Having built this computer myself, my second build, in fact, I consider myself far from computer illiterate. But I'm also just as far from what one would call an expert. While I understand a lot of what I read posted on these forums, much of it is too technical and goes right over my head.

In addition to the Samsung SSD 250 EVO I'll be installing (which will be devoted exclusively to Windows 7) the 500 GB hard drive that currently holds and runs the OS, and is also partitioned as a second (D:/) Data drive, will be wiped clean and used as to hold all my data, including "My Documents," "My Pictures," etc. I'll also have two additional drives, each 1TB, to hold (E:/) video and media and (F:/) Back-up files.

There is currently an additional 300 GB hard drive in my computer that serves as sort of a utility drive. Because I'm still not confident how well or how long an SSD will run over time, I plan to install a duplicate but operational copy of Windows 7 on this drive and leave it disconnected in one of the drive bays. This drive will lay dormant in my computer coming to life only in the event the SSD ceases to function one day. Yesterday, I decided that before I install the SSD and load Windows 7 on it, I'd actually wipe this 300 GB mechanical drive clean and install Win7 on it first. That way I'll be able to see some of the problems I might encounter with MB driver upgrades and those darn Windows Updates.

I had wondered whether or not a USB port would be functional after I installed Win7 before the MB drivers were installed. But since I'd never seen anyone comment about it on these forums, I assumed the USB ports would be functioning, though I could never quite understand why. Your remarks clarified this for me and as a result, I'm transferring all needed files to one of the 1 TB hard drives which I'll plug in after Win7 has been installed. I'll install drivers from there.

I've checked all of the Gigabyte MB files and they are not zip files but are in fact executables. I still plan to insert the original CD, let it scan my system and load the appropriate drivers. Once that's done, I'll update them by clicking on the executables I've saved to the 1 TB hard drive, right-clicking on them in order to Run as Administrator.

I have some additional questions which I'll post below, since this response is already too long.

Thank you, again.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Personally, I install all my drivers before I allow any Windows updates to be installed. Since drivers can affect the performance and functioning of hardware, why would I want less than optimal performance while installing the endless Windows updates?

I also do not connect network cables to the PC during a Windows installation, to prevent it from installing things I don't want installed, including drivers. I also don't allow any automatic updates to be installed, I let them be listed and choose what I want to be installed. I have no need for Chinese or Japanese font updates, as people in those countries will have no need for daylight savings time updates for the USA. But this is just my way of doing things, which does not mean it is how everyone should do it, or that it is better than other methods.
            Good idea about installing drivers before Windows Updates. Thank you.

I downloaded and installed the WSUS Windows Offline Updater and from that downloaded the Windows updates it found. They are now stored on a mechanical hard drive ready to load after I've installed MB drivers. I've never used this means of installing Windows Updates but remarks I read on forums indicated it was safe and a good idea. Since a slip-streamed Win7 (OEM) w/ SP-1 us no longer available for Win7, this seems the best way to go. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Comment

I was surprised that you said the driver files on Gigabyte's website were just executable files, if you click on one to download, it does list it as a .exe file.

So I downloaded one for fun, and saw that it is really a 7-Zip file (7z), which must be extracted. I used the America and Asia links, and every file I tried was a 7-Zip file. If you have found uncompressed files somewhere, I don't know where they are. Not a big deal at all either way.

Ahh, fear of SSD failure, I suppose that is reasonable from someone that has rarely or never used one. Being the SSD enthusiast that I am, I literally have dozens of them, dating back to some of the earliest SSDs that were SATA II speed drives. Multiple manufactures including Samsung, Intel, SanDisk, Crucial, OCZ. I have never had even one of my SSDs fail. Never returned one for replacement, or had to RMA it. I can 99% guarantee that your SSD will become your favorite drive in a short time.

Sorry, never used WSUS Windows Offline Updater, since I abandoned Win 7 a while ago. Otherwise it sounds like a great idea! I suppose it would work with Windows 8, but MS seems to have improved the delivery of updates in Win 8, offering monthly combined updates in one package. Plus the number of Win 8 updates is (at this time) much less than Win 7.

Regarding the USB ports working, it's never safe generalizing about PC hardware. That is, at one time it's possible the USB 2.0 ports on a board might not have worked until a driver was installed. Or the USB ports were 1.0. Windows 7 does not have a native USB 3.0 driver, but Windows 8 does, so progress does happen, slowly.

Comment

Been using WSUS offline updater Windows for several years now and it does update as it should. However, there will be a few updates that may still be needed through regular windows update online such as monthly malicious software removal tool and other important security based files and dotnet updates. Never hurts to run the windows update afterwards. Same applies for windows 8 as in Windows 7. I think that restriction on those and other files is a Microsoft Security policy.
                i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                Corsair PSU, 1
                080Ti EVGA
                960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

I was surprised that you said the driver files on Gigabyte's website were just executable files, if you click on one to download, it does list it as a .exe file.

So I downloaded one for fun, and saw that it is really a 7-Zip file (7z), which must be extracted. I used the America and Asia links, and every file I tried was a 7-Zip file. If you have found uncompressed files somewhere, I don't know where they are. Not a big deal at all either way.
                  When I downloaded and saved the Gigabyte driver files, I looked only at the file extension on the right, which in every case was an exe. I see now I should have looked at the little icon to the left of the file, for in most cases they do indicate they are a 7-zip file. Glad you pointed that out.

The CD that came with this 5-year old MB scans the system, selects and then installs the appropriate drivers housed on the CD. I'll be doing that again after I install the OS. It worked when I built this computer and first turned it on; and, once after that when I wiped the system clean and reinstalled the OS two or three years ago. Since it includes LAN drivers, I should have Internet access once this step is completed. The Gigabyte CD also offers a "Download Center" which links to the Gigabyte website where updated drivers can be selected and downloaded. I won't have an Internet browser, however, and may need one to fulfill this step. For that reason I'll probably wait until after I've installed all of the updates, including MSIE 11.

Ahh, fear of SSD failure, I suppose that is reasonable from someone that has rarely or never used one. Being the SSD enthusiast that I am, I literally have dozens of them, dating back to some of the earliest SSDs that were SATA II speed drives. Multiple manufactures including Samsung, Intel, SanDisk, Crucial, OCZ. I have never had even one of my SSDs fail. Never returned one for replacement, or had to RMA it. I can 99% guarantee that your SSD will become your favorite drive in a short time.
                  I've spent the better part of three weeks researching everything I could find about installing and using an SSD. Most of the problems people had seemed to be due to the fact that they just hadn't researched it as well as I have. They made crucial mistakes because of what they could have known in advance, but didn't. Until last week...

Just as I was ready to take the plunge and just go for it, I came upon threads on Tom's and anandtech about a Samsung firmware update issued last month that had literally bricked hundreds of 850 PRO SSDs. (I have an 850 EVO) It stopped me dead in my tracks and made me realize how prudent it would be to have some sort of back-up OS readily available should I loose the use of the SSD for any reason. Thus was born the idea to take my extra 300 GB utility (throw-away) drive, install Windows 7 on it and store it, disconnected, in the computer just in case something catastrophic happens with the SSD.

I'm still not sure what to do about hibernate files or restore points. I do know to plug the SSD into the first SATA_0 port, to set AHCI and to unplug every other hard drive in the computer. While I've never, ever had to use a restore point to restore my computer back to an earlier time, I'm still not comfortable turning off System Restore completely. Maybe you can tell me what your experiences have been. What steps, if any, you normally take to optimize.

Thanks, again, for taking the time to respond. You've been very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by TicTacToe View Post
                    Been using WSUS offline updater Windows for several years now and it does update as it should. However, there will be a few updates that may still be needed through regular windows update online such as monthly malicious software removal tool and other important security based files and dotnet updates. Never hurts to run the windows update afterwards. Same applies for windows 8 as in Windows 7. I think that restriction on those and other files is a Microsoft Security policy.
                    Thank you, TicTacToe. Everyone who reported using it reported good results. I don't know to what extent it will speed up the installation of Updates, if it does at all, but I'm going to give it a try.

I'm still laboring with an original OEM copy of Windows 7 purchased in 2009. I had hoped to create a newer version with SP1 slip-steamed, but as of last month, ISOs of OEM versions of Win7 are no longer available. So, I'm updating from the very beginning. It looks like WSUS may include a file of updates that are not installed. We'll see how this works. I'm curious to see if my computer restarts itself periodically as the updates are installed. Ordinarily, I'd install only a few updates at a time, to make sure they took. But I'm going to let WSUS decide things and see how it goes. I did figure, however, that after it completes, I'd need to scan again and again for any missing updates.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X