No announcement yet.

X58a-UD3R Rev. 1.0 - 8GB dimm compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58a-UD3R Rev. 1.0 - 8GB dimm compatibility?

Hi all.

After my month-long effort trying to get 6x2gb dimms stable on my board (X58A-ud3R), and it's failure, I've decided to sell them all and purchase 2x8b sticks.

(Thread here - http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...-unstable.html)

Then someone informed me that 8gb sticks may not be compatible with my board. (Thanks Chike!)

Now looking at official documentation, only memory supported is up to 4gb dimms, but that's probably because that when the documentation was written, 8gb sticks didn't exist right?

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1366 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

More info on my board here.

Has anyone here used 8gb DIMMS on their ud3r? Im struggling to find any hard information/evidence about compatibility.

Re: X58a-UD3R Rev. 1.0 - 8GB dimm compatibility?

Seeing as someone's helped me before on a different thread, ill return the favour... i figured i'd update this post for someone else who may be concerned about a similar thing.

For anyone who may run a search looking for answers. 16GB of HyperX Savage 2400mhz CL11 boots and runs 100% fine on my Gigabyte x58a-ud3r on BIOS F7L. Dual channel (2x8gb). Lovely!

Obvs im only running at 1600mhz (kept my 9-9-9-24, seems stable too!). Maybe i'll try higher frequencies at some point but i'm happy for now!

Here's some CPU-z & hwmonitor for you to see if required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	u4ovZW5.png
Views:	2
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	754885

Comment

yeah they should run fine 8gb dimms

to run a higher ram speed you will eed more qpi/vtt voltage and maybe slightly looser timings
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Firstly I'm going to buy one module 8GB of HyperX Savage 2400mhz CL11. fine. And later second one if it will work properly.

Do you thing, that type of CPU series can affect on RAM stability on my
        X58a-UD3R Rev. 1.0 ?
        There is difference between Xeon and i7 and I have i-920.

Comment

Originally posted by wnk View Post
          Firstly I'm going to buy one module 8GB of HyperX Savage 2400mhz CL11. fine. And later second one if it will work properly.

Do you thing, that type of CPU series can affect on RAM stability on my
          X58a-UD3R Rev. 1.0 ?
          There is difference between Xeon and i7 and I have i-920.
          My Xeon chip is very similar to i7's as far as I know. I think they're the same architecture although i'm not 100% sure.

Maybe someone else can offer some more detailed advice.

I'd recommend buying from a decent seller (I bought mine on amazon, same sticks as you've chosen) and if they don't work, send them back :) No-one will be able to tell you for sure, all PC's and components are slightly different (even the same products!)

Comment

Thank you for your response.

I've bought mentioned RAM 8GB with possibility to return, as advised.
            Then after installing my Bios set frequency to 1860 as default. Couple of minutes OS running nicely, and I was tempted to go further....
            And that was a mistake, I've lost time on BSODs, rescuing Windows, and then formating ;]

Nevertheless conclusions are:
            - Above 1860MHz MB X58a-UD3R Rev. 1.0 doesn't boot at all.|
            - Regardless to initial stability on 1860Mhz system was unstable, sometimes BSODs were showing just after OS loading screen. Other times there was BSOD 'whea uncorrectable error' suggesting that something's wrong with timings. Still managed to benchmark one stick with overclocked CPU.

Name:	1860.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	754939
            Thought-provoking why other time, after rebooting there were problems with stability.
            - At 1600Mhz everything seems fine. No problems after overclocking CPU. System stability tests passed.

Interesting thing is that @1600 my CL timings are 9-10-10-24. Is there possibility to improve that safely on 8GB of HyperX Savage 2400mhz CL11?

If everything goes fine probably I'll buy second stick next month.
            Wondering if this MB will take even tri-channel made of 8GBs.

Comment

Nevertheless conclusions are:
              - Above 1860MHz MB X58a-UD3R Rev. 1.0 doesn't boot at all.|
              With what settings exactly?

Originally posted by wnk
              Interesting thing is that @1600 my CL timings are 9-10-10-24. Is there possibility to improve that safely on 8GB of HyperX Savage 2400mhz CL11?
              CL 8 should be OK, you may need 1.6-1.65v DRAM voltage though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                With what settings exactly?

CL 8 should be OK, you may need 1.6-1.65v DRAM voltage though.
                I don't remember exactly now. Bu it was even something between 1860 and 1920.
                It's possibility that I do something wrong, because I don't have much OC knowledge and always used to change only multiplier settings, never voltages and others.

Now to check what setting exactly tried:
                CPU ratio 19 - gave 2,66@3,04
                BCLK 160
                SPD 12 - ram 1920Mhz.
                And just after windows loadig screen got WHEA uncorrectable error BSOD.

But as far as I know - certainly anything above 2000Mhz, including characteristic 2133 caused boot problems and restarting PC after couple of seconds, without showing anything on screen.

Comment

You need to add QPI/Vtt, I forgot what safe range is, search the forum, and of course DRAM Voltage needs to be 1.6-1.65v.
                  Last edited by Chike; 04-19-2015, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Got stable on these stettings:
                    max BCLK 180 with Vcore 1,3v
                    CPU multi 19x - 3419Mhz
                    Uncore x20 - 3600Mhz
                    RAM SPD 10 - 1800Mhz
                    Cl 10-10-10-26
                    QPI/Vtt default - any change caused BSOD afer Win8 startup loading
                    QPI Pll 1,18
                    IOH Core 1,18 (I've read that these last 2 parameter when equal offer best stability)

Doe's it look ok?

20 passes in LinX, max CPU core temp 65 C

I could say that satisfies me, don't need to go further with CPU OC, but curious to check higher ram.
                    1,6-1,65 Vram and lower Cl than 10 gave only BSOD, and as above changing QPI/Vtt even with default Cl caused BSOD.

update:
                    Seems also stable with CPU multi x21, what gives 3,78 Ghz and would satisfy me in more demanding situations.
                    I question myself if it's any sense to make RAM frequency higher in this case. I think about get stable between 1800 and 2000 Mhz - but would it give any practical difference in everyday use?

Honestly I've bought 8GB of HyperX Savage 2400mhz CL11, which I could use in another hardware config (MB+CPU) in the future and then use its potential.
                    Last edited by wnk; 04-22-2015, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Could be that QPI is set higher than default by auto.
                      see what are actual values if it's possible with HWiNFO or HWMonitor
                      Does memory has XMP profile(s)?

Comment

see what are actual values if it's possible with HWiNFO or HWMonitor
                        Does memory has XMP profile(s)
                        You mean QPI multi or voltage?
                        In Bios QPI is set to auto, but gives equal value as x36 - one of available multipliers (36,44,48) - 180 x 36 = 6480Mhz
                        Default QPI/Vtt is 1,15 and now it's running on auto.

Maybe screen-shot would be helpful to answer you correctly?

Name:	HWinfo.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	754944

Ram is now XMP Profile2 mode, but multi values changed ofc.

Comment

You mean QPI multi or voltage?
                          Maybe screen-shot would be helpful to answer you correctly?
                          Yes but sensors window, click <- -> to add columns if you need, to fit all sensors in.
                          I believe memory should run be ok with 9-10-10/11-24 @ 1800, we'll see to that when you set on CPU OC.
                          Last edited by Chike; 04-22-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I believe memory should run be ok with 9-10-10/11-24 @ 1800
                            Quite possible.

It looks like this:

Name:	sensorsHW.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	754945

Comment

No QPI/Vtt Voltage there.
                              If you have EasyTune installed, see what is QPI/Vtt target is in Tuner tab -> Voltage I tab
                              * The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club * - Page 281

Comment

Working...
                              X