Problems installing windows 7x64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems installing windows 7x64

Hey guys as you can derive from the titel I'm having problems installing windows on a new machine.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA890FXA-UD5 and it has a cleared CMOS, meaning it's back to basics and I want to install Windows 7x64 on it now.

First I tried installing it from a USB-DVD with the windows 7 DVD inside, but the motherboard doesn't detect it at booting. I tried all my usb ports but it's simply not picking it up. It detects it inside the BIOS, so it's there alright. Just not when it needs to boot and start installing windows.

Next thing I tried was installing W7 from my MAIN computer which already has windows 7. I installed it on the 100GB SSD disk of the new system and it works, no problem. But when I put it in the new system I get the error message "error reading from disk, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE blabla" so no luck there.

Next I tried installing W7 on a normal 250GB HDD and again, it worked, untill I put it in the new system and I didn't got the same error, it just hangs on "loading operating system..." and doesn't do anything after that.

I'm getting desperate here. I'm thinking about Qflashing my BIOS but I was hoping to do that after installing windows on the base BIOS.

I have the CD of the motherboard so I don't know if i can QFlash from that one, but it won't do me much good I suppose since the damn USB-DVD reader isn't being picked up?...

Any help would be welcome at this point, losing my marbles...

Re: Problems installing windows 7x64

Originally posted by 3dboomerang View Post
    Hey guys as you can derive from the titel I'm having problems installing windows on a new machine.

The mobo is a Gigabyte GA890FXA-UD5 and it has a cleared CMOS, meaning it's back to basics and I want to install Windows 7x64 on it now.

First I tried installing it from a USB-DVD with the windows 7 DVD inside, but the motherboard doesn't detect it at booting. I tried all my usb ports but it's simply not picking it up. It detects it inside the BIOS, so it's there alright. Just not when it needs to boot and start installing windows.

Next thing I tried was installing W7 from my MAIN computer which already has windows 7. I installed it on the 100GB SSD disk of the new system and it works, no problem. But when I put it in the new system I get the error message "error reading from disk, press CTRL-ALT-DELETE blabla" so no luck there.

Next I tried installing W7 on a normal 250GB HDD and again, it worked, untill I put it in the new system and I didn't got the same error, it just hangs on "loading operating system..." and doesn't do anything after that.

I'm getting desperate here. I'm thinking about Qflashing my BIOS but I was hoping to do that after installing windows on the base BIOS.

I have the CD of the motherboard so I don't know if i can QFlash from that one, but it won't do me much good I suppose since the damn USB-DVD reader isn't being picked up?...

Any help would be welcome at this point, losing my marbles...
    I'm not clear what you mean by installing from a "USB-DVD".
    One of the easiest ways I've found to put the Win 7 install files on a USB stick is to use Rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie/
    Just need an ISO image of Windows 7, check the right boxes in Rufus and Viola! you have the needed files to install.

I'm not familiar with the BIOS on that board so I don't know what if anything you may need to set to recognize the USB stick. For the Intel boards it usually gets recognized right away, and I have used Rufus many times to install the files to the USB stick.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

You cannot transfer windows between machines unless the are identical or very close to identical, same type of CPU chipset etc.
      Try to press F12 when you boot, and see if you can select the USB-DVD to boot from

Comment

Have you tried installing from the actual DVD itself or do you not have a DVD drive?
        Since my machines still have disk drives, the only reason I needed to install Win 7 from USB stick was when I wanted to use the GPT format. In that case I always had a hard time installing from DVD and had to use a USB stick/Rufus, and then Windows would pick up and install GPT format on a clean disk automagically.
        Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
        Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
        Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
        HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
        SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Working...
        X