Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 mouse pointer locking up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 mouse pointer locking up!

Would be grateful for any help or advice.... my Bro-in-Law is using GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo with a LX4100 Bulldozer CPU.
    The system has recently started to lock-up after the POST test and he does not have any control over the mouse pointer which just freezes.
    He is using a USB Logitech wired infrared mouse and a USB wired Keyboard UK.
    The mobo has a PS2 socket in green/lilac but obviously can only take mouse or keyboard, not both at once.
    He has a PS2 keyboard which sometimes clears the problem but the mouse pointer can still freeze.
    This is also a problem with Acronis 2010, of which there is much written on the Internet but no solutions.
    If he needs to boot from outside of Windows 7 (64bit) he cannot get any further than the mouse pointer freezing up.
    He would be unable to install Windows, either from DVD or USB and Acronis 2010, for a previous backup, gives the same lock-up problem.

We have checked settings, as best we can, in the Bios, and have tried booting items manually, i.e. USB stick and DVD, using the menu in F12 shown on the Gigabyte Flash Screen, with no success.

ANY IDEAS GUYS????

Many thanks, Mike

Re: Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 mouse pointer locking up!

[QUOTE=mike-m5;494347]Would be grateful for any help or advice.... my Bro-in-Law is using GA-78LMT-USB3 mobo with a FX4100 Bulldozer CPU.
    The system has recently started to lock-up after the POST test and he does not have any control over the mouse pointer which just freezes.
    He is using a USB Logitech wired infrared mouse and a USB wired Keyboard UK.
    The mobo has a PS2 socket in green/lilac but obviously can only take mouse or keyboard, not both at once.
    He has a PS2 keyboard which sometimes clears the problem but the mouse pointer can still freeze.
    This is also a problem with Acronis 2010, of which there is much written on the Internet but no solutions.
    If he needs to boot from outside of Windows 7 (64bit) he cannot get any further than the mouse pointer freezing up.
    He would be unable to install Windows, either from DVD or USB and Acronis 2010, for a previous backup, gives the same lock-up problem.

We have checked settings, as best we can, in the Bios, and have tried booting items manually, i.e. USB stick and DVD, using the menu in F12 shown on the Gigabyte Flash Screen, with no success.

ANY IDEAS GUYS????

Many thanks, Mike[The CPU is an AMD AM3+ FX4100 Bulldozer]

Comment

If you haven't clear CMOS yes, try this first, follow Clearing the CMOS in this post.
      Did you try a different mouse?
      What is the BOIS version? (it should show on the upper or lower left of the screen during POST)
      For what reason you were not anle to reinstall windows, the mouse?

Comment

[QUOTE=Chike;494378]If you haven't clear CMOS yes, try this first, follow Clearing the CMOS in this post.
        Did you try a different mouse?
        What is the BOIS version? (it should show on the upper or lower left of the screen during POST)
        For what reason you were not anle to reinstall windows, the mouse?[/QUOTE=Chike;494378

Hello Chike, thanks for swift reply. Unable to re-install Windows because at the first opportunity the mouse freezes, unable to go any further. I need to get my Brother in Law to check Bios version, but he will need my help, he does not have enough knowledge. Will try your suggestions when we can. Thanks!]

Comment

Hello Chike, thanks for swift reply. Unable to re-install Windows because at the first opportunity the mouse freezes, unable to go any further. I need to get my Brother in Law to check Bios version, but he will need my help, he does not have enough knowledge. Will try your suggestions when we can. Thanks!

Comment

Hello again Chike!

Removed the CMOS battery, as suggested, for a couple of minutes, then chose "Optimized Default Bios" settings and re-booted the PC.

Sorted out one or two choices as to boot order and then found an article describing how the +Hard Drive (in 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice of boot) item reveals any USB sticks that are plugged into the PC.

Managed to get the USB booting automatically from first but it still freezes on the Acronis opening screen until you choose the Acronis option.
            It then goes through initialisation of the program and once completed, the mouse pointer will move as normal.

The above has also sorted the boot freeze problem with the Windows Installation DVD...how??? ....I do not know!!!

Another article advised that Keyboard and Mouse should be plugged into USB2 ports and NOT USB3 ports.

I am pleased to say, that apart from the long-standing problem with Acronis (I have read loads of articles on the net) and the freezing mouse, the PC seems to be OK now. Many thanks for your advice. Regards Mike.

Comment

Working...
            X