2xSSD's Raid 0 on a GA-X58A-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2xSSD's Raid 0 on a GA-X58A-UD3R

I was thinking of getting two SSD's In RAID0 mode for my motherboard GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0. I've Updated my Bios with a modified one with TRIM in RAID0 support.
    I was wondering if anyone else has try'ed this on that board, and if they have had any problems?

Re: 2xSSD's Raid 0 on a GA-X58A-UD3R

it should work fine

trim should also work if you've modded the bios and use latest rst drivers
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The latest IRST drivers, 13.2, won't install on the X58 board's ICH10R chipset, or apparently anything up to and including Intel 7 series chipsets, like the Z77.

Yes that is different than previous versions of IRST, but Intel had to leave some older chipsets behind at some point.

But, depending upon the BIOS mod to enable RAID 0 TRIM (more that one method), if it uses the chipset ID hack, then the latest driver might install.

For RAID 0 TRIM, all that is needed is an IRST version 11 or greater driver.

No mention of what OS you are using. A modded BIOS is always a risk IMO, the RAID 0 TRIM support mod has potential side affects.

I ran three Samsung 830 SSDs in RAID 0 on an Asus X58 board, with the same ICH10R SATA chip, without RAID 0 TRIM. I did that before RAID 0 TRIM existed. If you keep the RAID 0 array mostly empty, it will perform fine for a long time without TRIM, I had mine going for over a year before I moved on to another board, etc.

Comment

if your using Samsung ssd's you have the performance optimisation feature in Samsung magician,which does the job of trim
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          The latest IRST drivers, 13.2, won't install on the X58 board's ICH10R chipset, or apparently anything up to and including Intel 7 series chipsets, like the Z77.

Yes that is different than previous versions of IRST, but Intel had to leave some older chipsets behind at some point.

But, depending upon the BIOS mod to enable RAID 0 TRIM (more that one method), if it uses the chipset ID hack, then the latest driver might install.

For RAID 0 TRIM, all that is needed is an IRST version 11 or greater driver.

No mention of what OS you are using. A modded BIOS is always a risk IMO, the RAID 0 TRIM support mod has potential side affects.

I ran three Samsung 830 SSDs in RAID 0 on an Asus X58 board, with the same ICH10R SATA chip, without RAID 0 TRIM. I did that before RAID 0 TRIM existed. If you keep the RAID 0 array mostly empty, it will perform fine for a long time without TRIM, I had mine going for over a year before I moved on to another board, etc.
          Yet at moment i have the software bios for 13.2 with trim 0 support from the mod bios thread some time ago, and installed windows rst 13.2.4.100. everything seems fine with 1 ssd cache drive running 2x hdds in raid 0.

I was thinking of getting 2x Samsung 850 Pro's 256gb and runing as raid 0. But 1-2 people have said i'm asking for trouble and better to just get the 1 bigger drive 512gb. So now unsure myself.

Thanks for the feadback guys :))
          p.s updated my pc spec's info.
          Last edited by TrebleTA; 01-13-2015, 06:09 AM. Reason: p.s

Comment

Originally posted by TrebleTA View Post
            Yet at moment i have the software bios for 13.2 with trim 0 support from the mod bios thread some time ago, and installed windows rst 13.2.4.100. everything seems fine with 1 ssd cache drive running 2x hdds in raid 0.

I was thinking of getting 2x Samsung 850 Pro's 256gb and runing as raid 0. But 1-2 people have said i'm asking for trouble and better to just get the 1 bigger drive 512gb. So now unsure myself.

Thanks for the feadback guys :))
            p.s updated my pc spec's info.
            So you have the chipset ID mod for TRIM support, which allows you to use the IRST 13.2 software. Which is also how you can create an SRT setup on an otherwise completely unsupported chipset.

Caching SSDs and TRIM is an obscure topic, the first boards to support them (Z68) were pre-RAID 0 TRIM driver and chipset support. While SRT is called a type of RAID 0 array, I wonder if TRIM can be passed to a caching SSD, since the data is not striped, just copied from the HDD.

FYI, while the Samsung Magician software does have a manual TRIM feature, it won't work on their SSD when in a RAID array. The Magician software does not recognize RAID mode correctly, and since RAID implementations are usually different depending upon the manufacture, which one do they choose to support, if they bothered to do so?

Using Samsung 850 Pros in RAID 0 would be among the most worry free SSDs to use. I've seen sales where two 256GB SSDs were cheaper than the same model's 512GB version, which is how I ended up with three SSDs in RAID 0 again recently.

SSDs in RAID 0 are not very popular now, but I've had no trouble with multiple arrays. The other downside to SSDs in RAID 0 is the 4K/small file random performance never increases, and usually decreases a bit, so they don't boot faster, plus take a little longer to start up than a single SSD, so two strikes as boot drives. The performance areas they do improve are in aspects that most PC users never or rarely encounter. I agree that a single 512GB 850 Pro would be the best bet for most people.

Comment

So the only real improvement in raid 0 ssd's is if I was copping a lot of big files. For me I'm more a gamer and general user and after looking around the web I will just get the one SSD drive. Going to get the Samsung 850 pro 512gb. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by TrebleTA View Post
                So the only real improvement in raid 0 ssd's is if I was copping a lot of big files. For me I'm more a gamer and general user and after looking around the web I will just get the one SSD drive. Going to get the Samsung 850 pro 512gb. Thanks for the help.

i have x58a dur3 rev 1.0 with last bios f8b and last 11.7 irst driver fernando trim... i set 2 ssd 860 evo in raid0 strip 64k into 2 port gsata 3 but not have very bust respect no raid

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattura.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	755225
                Last edited by MEMOREX; 10-14-2018, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X