new x99 g1 Wi-Fi won't recognize gpu in slot 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new x99 g1 Wi-Fi won't recognize gpu in slot 2

Cross post from another forum, hoping for some advice before i file for warranty.

Yesterday i received my new g1 WiFi, along with new ram and cpu. After installing, only one video card is being detected. Both cards work in slot1, though ihaven't tested 3 or 4 yet. Board had bios F4 and is rev 1. Tried to qflash with no luck (invalid image or something) so used @bios and got to f7. No luck.

Tried both Windows 10 tech and 7 pro. Both cards work and sli worked in previous board. Tried included sli hard bridge and soft, as well as my older bridges. Windows driver and nvidia, as well as multiple installs to 3 different drives, one drive at a time with and without optical drive.

I'll test 3 and 4 when i get home, and update.

Specs:
    corsair h100 cooler
    corsair 16gig 2800 ddr4 (4x4)
    X99 g1 Wifi
    evga gtx580 x2
    ocz vertex ssd
    wd velociraptor and cavalier green

Re: new x99 g1 Wi-Fi won't recognize gpu in slot 2

Take a look at your motherboard manual:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	x99sli.png
Views:	1
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	754771
    from top to bottom slots are numbered 1,4,2,3 which one does not work? Also in order for 2 way sli/crossfire to work you have to use slots numbered 1 and 2 which are the first and the third slots.

Comment

Yeah... was on my phone so wasn't all clear. Cards were in slot 1 and 2, then tried 1 and 4 which worked.. though can't try 3 as even my tiny old 9400 gt wont fit there. Seriously.. how could anyone install a 4 way sli system on here? The connectors are right under the #3 socket. No way my 580 would fit there unless I had no fans, usb or audio connectors plugged in. Both cards work in slots 1 and 4 and I'm just gonna assume #3 works. Anyway.. under suggestion from reddit, I checked #4 then pulled the cpu to look for bent pins. Nada there.. Reinstalled cpu and everything boots fine, just no recognition from #2 slot, no matter what card I put in, so chocking this one up to a doa PCIe slot and filed an RMA with Newegg and hopefully won't go through the nightmare of returning boards to them that I'm now reading about.. ie, user damage. Board was less than 24hrs old when I filed so hopefully it will go smooth and won't have to resort to a chargeback.

Anywho.. I'll report back with what they say, if only so someone else with the rare chance of faulty hardware can read it and be comforted, as I couldn't find a thread on a faulty pcie on an x99 board. Rare, but not unimaginable.
      Last edited by Johnathan Post; 01-13-2015, 03:58 PM.

Comment

As i see you have i7-5820K which means PCIE_3 will never work for you. Take a look at the bottom tab from the manual I posted above. i7-5820K have less PCI-E lanes and only support 3 way sli/cf. Most likely the board detects what cpu is installed and disable the slot. So PCIE_1, PCIE_2 and PCIE_4 will work just fine for you. If you can test the board with i7-5930K or i7-5960X then the PCIE_3 ahsould work.

Comment

Originally posted by xplode View Post
          As i see you have i7-5820K which means PCIE_3 will never work for you. Take a look at the bottom tab from the manual I posted above. i7-5820K have less PCI-E lanes and only support 3 way sli/cf. Most likely the board detects what cpu is installed and disable the slot. So PCIE_1, PCIE_2 and PCIE_4 will work just fine for you. If you can test the board with i7-5930K or i7-5960X then the PCIE_3 ahsould work.
          Not slot 3.. slot 2. Slot #2 isn't working, and actually, PCIe slot #3 does work. I tested it by fitting a 9500gt there while using slots #1 and #4 with my 580's. But this is moot. RMA went through and new board came. Same Fn problem. Slots 1, 3 and 4 all detect the card while slot 2 does not. Updated the bios, nothing. Don't think it's the cpu as everything else seems to be running fine. I'm awaiting a reply to my Gigabyte support ticket, and will look for a way to test the cpu further. But I'm at a loss.
          Last edited by Johnathan Post; 01-13-2015, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X