Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP45T-UD3LR (rev. 1.1) DDR3 memory help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45T-UD3LR (rev. 1.1) DDR3 memory help needed.

Hi,

As specified in the tittle i have a GA-EP45T-UD3LR mobo and this has functioned for many years with Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G dual channel memory kit.
    Recently i decided some more memory would be nice to boost performance and get some more FPS with games.
    And purchased a Kingston KVR13N9S8K2/8 dual channel memory kit.
    To bring me to 12 GB of RAM where the motherboard limits are 16GB i read.
    As can be seen on the links CAS Latency, frequency, voltage and more specs are the same.
    Only large differences are the maximum operating power and tRAS values.

Currently tried booting with only the both new modules in slot 3_1 and 3_3 dont get to bios or post when i power on (black screen).
    When i only use one module and place it closest to cpu same result.
    In case i have my old modules in place and add the new modules after few reboots i manage to gain access over the bios but get a memory_management BSOD.
    I expect some tweaks are required as i read about down clocking to 1066 and increasing the MCH core voltage.
    Or does my scenario require other actions?

Please let me know if more info needs to be supplied to form a better picture of my boot issue with the new memory modules.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hardware settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	756332This screenshots are taken with the two working modules (old) in place.
    Thanks in advance for your support.
    Last edited by magicmichi; 11-25-2014, 02:01 PM.

Re: GA-EP45T-UD3LR (rev. 1.1) DDR3 memory help needed.

Your problem with the new memory is most likely caused by it being simply incompatible with your board's memory controller, that is part of the P45 chipset. The basic timing and speed specs may be identical, but memory incompatibility is based on other factors.

The memory data sheets you provided contain the specs that are different between the two models of memory, and why the new memory is not compatible. Most of the time this information is not available so we never see why incompatibility occurs. Plus this is about things we never consider or understand very well.

If we look at the specs of the memory controller in the P45 chipset, we find this table:

Click image for larger version

Name:	g45 memory specs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	754733

Your old memory has this description:

ValueRAM's KVR1333D3N9K2/4G is a kit of two 256M x 64-bit
    (2GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM), 2Rx8
    memory modules, based on sixteen 128M x 8-bit DDR3-1333
    FBGA components per module

In the DDR3 section of the table above, we find a configuration of 16 (# of DRAM Devices) 128M x8 (DRAM Organization) listed in row B.

The new memory has this description:

ValueRAM's KVR13N9S8K2/8 is a kit of two 512M x 64-bit
    (4GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM), 1Rx8,
    memory modules, based on eight 512M x 8-bit FBGA compo-
    nents per module.

Unfortunately we don't find a configuration of 8 (# of DRAM Devices) 512M x 8 (DRAM Organization) listed in the DDR3 section of the table. That is a configuration incompatibility that cannot be changed by any BIOS options. The new memory simply won't work in your board.

The new memory is also about 2.5 years newer in design, so is tailored to the requirements of more current memory controllers. Memory controllers must be designed to match current memory technology too, so we are left with the chicken and the egg scenario.

Sorry to make a giant post about this, but normally when memory is incompatible we cannot show why it is incompatible. We also never talk about these kinds of memory specs, which can be confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Your problem with the new memory is most likely caused by it being simply incompatible with your board's memory controller, that is part of the P45 chipset. The basic timing and speed specs may be identical, but memory incompatibility is based on other factors.

The memory data sheets you provided contain the specs that are different between the two models of memory, and why the new memory is not compatible. Most of the time this information is not available so we never see why incompatibility occurs. Plus this is about things we never consider or understand very well.

If we look at the specs of the memory controller in the P45 chipset, we find this table:

[ATTACH]7411[/ATTACH]

Your old memory has this description:

ValueRAM's KVR1333D3N9K2/4G is a kit of two 256M x 64-bit
      (2GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM), 2Rx8
      memory modules, based on sixteen 128M x 8-bit DDR3-1333
      FBGA components per module

In the DDR3 section of the table above, we find a configuration of 16 (# of DRAM Devices) 128M x8 (DRAM Organization) listed in row B.

The new memory has this description:

ValueRAM's KVR13N9S8K2/8 is a kit of two 512M x 64-bit
      (4GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM), 1Rx8,
      memory modules, based on eight 512M x 8-bit FBGA compo-
      nents per module.

Unfortunately we don't find a configuration of 8 (# of DRAM Devices) 512M x 8 (DRAM Organization) listed in the DDR3 section of the table. That is a configuration incompatibility that cannot be changed by any BIOS options. The new memory simply won't work in your board.

The new memory is also about 2.5 years newer in design, so is tailored to the requirements of more current memory controllers. Memory controllers must be designed to match current memory technology too, so we are left with the chicken and the egg scenario.

Sorry to make a giant post about this, but normally when memory is incompatible we cannot show why it is incompatible. We also never talk about these kinds of memory specs, which can be confusing.
      Hi Parsec,

I can`t describe how grateful i am with your reply.
      Since i both learned another important factor to pay attention to when looking for a memory upgrade.
      And also get a clear description on why this simply will never work.
      Ill try to find a module that hopefully still fits the requirements.
      Though i guess this might be a challenge due to the age of the product.
      I will update when i found something just to be sure it will work this time.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,
      Michi

Comment

Thank you, and sorry for the bad news.

I must say that certain things about Intel's table bothered me. That means you can try one more thing with your new memory.

Question, when you installed ONLY the new memory, did you clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC?

If not, please try that before giving up on the new memory. That is, install only the new memory in slots A1 and B1, or A2 and B2 if your manual recommends one over the other.

Then clear the CMOS/BIOS with the jumper on the board. Replace the jumper and try to boot again. Don't forget that clearing the BIOS will set ALL the values to their default values, so if you have BIOS settings you must use (like RAID), reset those before actually booting... assuming you get that far. Normally clearing the BIOS will cause a screen to be displayed with a timer that offers the chance to enter the BIOS.

If the new memory works, you may then have the issue of mixing different types of memory. DDR3 memory usually does not work like that.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Thank you, and sorry for the bad news.

I must say that certain things about Intel's table bothered me. That means you can try one more thing with your new memory.

Question, when you installed ONLY the new memory, did you clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC?

If not, please try that before giving up on the new memory. That is, install only the new memory in slots A1 and B1, or A2 and B2 if your manual recommends one over the other.

Then clear the CMOS/BIOS with the jumper on the board. Replace the jumper and try to boot again. Don't forget that clearing the BIOS will set ALL the values to their default values, so if you have BIOS settings you must use (like RAID), reset those before actually booting... assuming you get that far. Normally clearing the BIOS will cause a screen to be displayed with a timer that offers the chance to enter the BIOS.

If the new memory works, you may then have the issue of mixing different types of memory. DDR3 memory usually does not work like that.
          Hi Parsec,

Thanks for this last suggestion.
          Unfortunatly the results have been the same though.
          I tried with both colored slot combinations without luck.
          A boot loop and black screen.
          I will send the memory back to my supplier.
          And thank you once again for your help.

Kind Regards,
          Michi

Comment

Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post489659, posts #606 and #607 for information about some Corsair memory kits that might be compatible with your EP45-UD3LR.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
            X