Possible MB problem - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible MB problem - HELP!

I have a machine that was running XP/SP3 for a bit over a year when XP support went away. It was used as a web-server/mail-server/livestream video/audio-server. I took it down and tried to install a new operating system, but it would not and still will not let me (I gave up after a few frustating days last spring and decided to check it out again last week).

It will boot from a Hiram's disk and run mini-XP, it will boot from a Win7 or a Win8 dvd, but it will not install:

1) It boots
    3) Loads files
    4) Windows start-up screen appears
    5) The little stars fly around in a circle endlessly.

I've a couple of times got lucky (?) after a re-start and had the special start-up screen with choices and hit <f8> F8 and Safe-Mode<safe Mode=""> <safe Mode="">.
    Each time it stops loading after DISK.EXE <disk.exe> - I think...I'm not sure of the extension because of weakening brain cells...

Once I tried installing Win7 on a hard-drive on another machine and then moving the drive to this one, but it would do exactly the same thing: stall on the Windows start-up screen or, in Safe Mode, after loading Disk.exe.

That's when I gave up.

Last week I put in an IDE drive (always used SATA before) that had an old installation of XP on it. It booted and ran, let me install the drivers, and works. But not either of the other
    OS's.

I replaced the memory sticks with known good ones with no change in behavior.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't have any idea how to test/check the CPU or the MB...and I don't want to just start replacing with new stuff (though it's tempting).

SPECS:

MB: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
    CPU: Intel Core i3 560 @ 3.33GB
    MEM: Corsair XMS3 (2x) 8GB 1333

Thanks for any advice.</disk.exe></safe></safe></f8>
Working...
X