Haswell Refresh not compatible with Z87 Sniper m5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haswell Refresh not compatible with Z87 Sniper m5

So, i bought a brand new system a couple of days ago. 4690K with sniper m5. I checked the CPU and Memory list if both things where supported and yes they where. Straight away i noticed some strange things. It didn't want to recognize one of my two samsung f3 HDD's, realy strange, becasue they'd ran fine in raid0 on my previous build. In the end i decided to just take the one out that wasn't working in my new system, even tho' it worked on a different motherboard from my brother aswell, so it wasn't broken.

Then. Since i bought a K model cpu i thought; lets see what this puppy can do, so downloaded CPU-Z, Realtemp, LinX. Then even before i did any overclocking i noticed something strange in CPU-Z. My V-Core aswell as the Multiplier where hanging continuously at the same 1.088 volt at 40X Multiplier?!?!?!? I thought, this could only mean one thing (even tho it was weird, because initially i loaded bios default) that EIST and C-states where disabled, but to my surprice the V-Core and Multi where still hanging at 1088V and 40X after Enabling EIST and C-states. Then i checked if i wasn't using any locked Voltage settings or a locked multiplier, but that wasn't the case ider. I've had numerous gigabyte motherboards x58-ud7, p67-ud7, sniper-3 and now sniper-5, so i know exactly how this works.

But yesterday my biggest fear came true. I started digging a bit on the forums and it seems that multiple people with a Haswell refresh are having these problems on sniper 5 motherboards, locked Multipliers and V-Cores. http://www.overclock.net/t/1397554/o...#post_22837374 I mean, i checked and it definately sais that a 4690K is supported by this motherboard on bios f10? GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket 1150 - Intel Z87 - G1.Sniper M5 (rev. 1.x) But after reading a bit more i have a feeling gigabyte already abandoned this motherboard. I mean, only 2 bioses? The first one, F9 came out on 25-04-2014 and the latest one, F10 on 25-08-2014. I mean, wtf? So, i'm left with a motherboard that doesn't even properly support my CPU and at the rate Gigabyte update's bioses i feel this problem is never going to be fixed?
    Last edited by jbkappirossi; 11-19-2014, 05:24 AM.

Re: Haswell Refresh not compatible with Z87 Sniper m5

Same problem here.

Z87-HD3 + 4690k. Bios F8.

VCore sticks at 1.088V (going not above; whatever the multi is set to). Seems that the VID is not read out correct. Overclocking only with fixed Vcore.

I hope Gigabyte have a solution soon?
    Last edited by Pastrana; 11-20-2014, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrana View Post
      Same problem here.

Z87-HD3 + 4690k. Bios F8.

VCore sticks at 1.088V (going not above; whatever the multi is set to). Seems that the VID is not read out correct. Overclocking only with fixed Vcore.

I hope Gigabyte have a solution soon?
      thx, for letting me know.

If you buy a new car with optional airco package and the airco doesn't work with you're car model you might aswell have bought the one without, right?

All these features don't work and for how long? Looking at the bios history for my board, this problem probably already existed from april 2014.
      What i pisses me off is the fact they put the haswell refresh in their vendor list as ''supposedly working fine'' on these Z87 boards, but this is not true.

And i can't return mine, because it's second hand now.

Comment

Guys,
        check your pins in CPU socket......
        Latest BIOS support Haswell Refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
          Guys,
          check your pins in CPU socket......
          Latest BIOS support Haswell Refresh.
          Pins are good, not bend if that's what you mean.
          Did a second remount already, because ''out of the box'' the sniper m5 doens't support Haswell Refresh,
          so i had to flash it to f10 bios using my brothers Pentium g3220. With that CPU, being a 1st gen Haswell EIST did work perfectly.

edit; What's also strange is that everyone having this problem all reporting the same 1.088 where it hangs on.
          Last edited by jbkappirossi; 11-20-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbkappirossi View Post
            Pins are good, not bend if that's what you mean.
            Did a second remount already, because ''out of the box'' the sniper m5 doens't support Haswell Refresh,
            so i had to flash it to f10 bios using my brothers Pentium g3220. With that CPU, being a 1st gen Haswell EIST did work perfectly.

edit; What's also strange is that everyone having this problem all reporting the same 1.088 where it hangs on.
            So did the F10 BIOS fix the issue with with the 4690K?

While it is strange the CPU voltage is locked at 1.088, and the multiplier is locked at 40 (apparently), it is not strange that users of this board, earlier BIOS versions, and Haswell-R processors, are having the same problem. They all are experiencing the same BIOS problem.

It almost sounds like Turbo is disabled when it must be enabled.

Comment

Working...
            X