Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Rev 1.3

MB is (still) working great.

I'm using 6 SATA ports out of 7 (not #4) and wondered if I could still use the ESATA port for an external drive system.

The manual is a little confusing since it lists:

On Intel Z68
    2x 6Gb/s, SATA 0+1
    3x 3GB/s , SATA 2,3 & 4
    1x eSATA 3GB/s (no port designation)

On Marvell 88SE9172 Chip
    2x 6Gb/s SATA 5&6

Some MB's limit SATA ports if the eSATA is used, not sure if this applies to this MB.

Thanks
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-07-2014, 05:10 PM.

Re: Question re GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (Rev 1.3

The Intel Z68 chipset on your board has the typical (for Intel) six SATA port capability.

Since only five of those ports are designated as standard SATA ports, the eSATA port must be the sixth Intel SATA II port. That's good too, since currently eSATA ports are supplied by third party chipsets that tend to be not the best in terms of performance and stability.

Comment

Actually there are a total of 8 sata ports.
      From the Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev: 1.3) user manual:

As parsec said, use the Intel chipset sata ports, not the Gsata ports controlled by the Marvell controller.

From the AnandTech review of the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3:
      With regards to the SATA connections, we have three (internal) SATA 3Gb/s connections and four SATA 6Gb/s ports. There is an eSATA port on the I/O of the motherboard which takes the total of SATA 3Gb/s ports to four. Two of the four SATA 6Gb/s ports are controlled by a separate controller – a Marvell 88SE917. These are colored gray and have support for RAID 0 and 1. The rest of the SATA ports are controlled by the Intel Z68 chipset and allow for RAID 0, 1, 5 and 10. You are able to create a RAID array across the SATA 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s ports although the performance may vary (according to Gigabyte).

After comparing to other motherboards, the SATA layout is a tad odd. On most motherboards, you would typically find a row of SATA connectors that are adjacent to each other and then color-coded accordingly. Even though it is only one port which points out of the board and the rest stick out of the side, it looks odd and it doesn’t make sense why this has been done.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

What a nice crew here .

Exactly:

The white SATA 6Gb/s (0+1) and 3 black 3Gb/s (2-4) ports are from Z68
        The 2 grey SATA 6Gb/s ports are from Marvell 88SE9172.

PS thanks for the pics, I just put the case covers on....

With 1 SSD and 5 HD's in the server, I tried to use the 6Gb/s ports first.

That's why I asked about using the external eSATA port vs USB 3.0 if I added a few 3TB HD's that I have as long-term backups.

You both answered my question and together then some. So the eSATA is only 3Gb/s, I could add a drive box externally or another HD internally, both are just SATA II.

PS: Assuming its works, is the Marvell 6Gb/s faster than the Z68 3Gb/s?

eSATA (SATA II) or USB 3.0?

Thanks

Comment

You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure that the eSata connection will provide better overall performance than the usb 3.0 setup, especially when reading or writing small files.

I doubt that hard drives connected to the Marvell sata3 ports will have any better performance than the Intel sata2 ports.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Well, I added the HD box and managed to get it working with USB 3.0, but no joy with eSATA either via MB or SATA2_4 run to my eSATA port on the case. Also, via USB I get no smart data about the HD from Covecube Scanner. I will spend some time with the covers off again and see if I can fix that.

I don't see in the manual which SATA port must be open to use the onboard external eSATA port.

Since this is my server its quite possible that the issue is drivers for WHS2011 my OS.

Just a thought, is there any MB/Chipset combo that will work with Intel 1150 CPU and provide more SATA 6GB connectors? Preferably from the onboard chipset.

I know its a chipset limitation, but its been a while since I avidly followed chipset development.

I don't mind speculating on a new MB, but changing the PC doubles or triples the upgrade cost. Possible, but not my preference.
            Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-15-2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
              Well, I added the HD box and managed to get it working with USB 3.0, but no joy with eSATA either via MB or SATA2_4 run to my eSATA port on the case. Also, via USB I get no smart data about the HD from Covecube Scanner. I will spend some time with the covers off again and see if I can fix that.

Since this is my server its quite possible that the issue is drivers for WHS2011 my OS.

Just a thought, is there any MB/Chipset combo that will work with Intel 1150 CPU and provide more SATA 6GB connectors? Preferably from the onboard chipset.

I know its a chipset limitation, but its been a while since I avidly followed chipset development.

I don't mind speculating on a new MB, but changing the PC doubles or triples the upgrade. Possible, but not my preference.
              There is no chance of getting SMART data over a USB interface. USB is a packet interface that is unrelated to SATA. The SATA to USB interface in the HD box converts the SATA data stream into USB packet data, ignoring anything in the SATA data stream besides the pure user data.

You may need to set a BIOS option to activate the eSATA port.

Your question about a different mother board confused me. The CPU in your Z68 board is a socket 1155 processor, not 1150, and won't work in socket 1150 boards.

The last socket 1155 chipset boards, like the Z77, still only have two Intel SATA III ports.

The Intel Z87 and a few of the other 8 series chipsets, and Z97 boards, have (or can have depending on configuration) six Intel SATA III ports. But they are all socket 1150 boards, that won't work with the processor in your Z68 board.

Comment

This may be my issue. Not sure if port multiplier is supported - will remove all but one drive to find out.

Comment

I checked the Intel datasheet for their 6 series chipsets, , and found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	intel pch port multiplier.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	754719

Thought this might save you some time and work.

The 8 series chipset datasheet said the same thing, so it seems that has not changed. I don't have the 9 series chipset datasheet... yet, haven't looked lately, could be available.

Comment

And the add-in card you choose, make sure it's a Silicon Image chipset. They support the FIS based switching that you Mediasonic box requires to access its four drives.

From personal use with my LaCie Biggest S2S 5 drive boxes I'd recommend:
                    SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2E Controller Card - Newegg.com
                    May need/want to flash it's firmware. From within Dev Mgr's Properties box this is a breeze. Then simply install the correct driver.

Also
                    Rosewill RC-219 Silicon Image PCI Express eSata x2 NCQ non-RAID SATA II Controller Card - Newegg.com

There's the below on from Mediasonic but I'd stay away from it as it uses the ASMedia 1061 chipset:
                    Mediasonic ProBox HP1-SS3 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card - Newegg.com
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks.

There are some pretty bad strikes against some of those cards. Not unusual but...
                      Any idea if the cards permit pass through of smart data, some apparently don't.

Comment

Thinking I was being smart .... I ordered the more recent model SATA3 Rosewill RC-226, turns out that also uses Marvell chipset and I couldn't get it to work with the Mediasonic Probox HF2-SU352. Fortunately it can be returned.

I ordered Mediasonic SATA 3.0 HP1-SS3 and the recommended SYBA card, the Mediasonic arrived first Just the card, no drivers they apparently installed from the OS during boot, it confirmed 106X SATA controller ver 0.95AHCI mode - using PCIE Gen 2 but then even though the drivebox is connected to the card and powered up (has to be turned on each 2-30 secs otherwise it shuts down) BIOS screen then shows "can find any device".

The probox is all the while showing USB 3.0, I can't get it to cycle to eSATA, I assume until it finds a valid connection. Catch 22.

Mediasonic Tech support and forums are down of course.

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
                          Thinking I was being smart .... I ordered the more recent model SATA3 Rosewill RC-226, turns out that also uses Marvell chipset and I couldn't get it to work with the Mediasonic Probox HF2-SU352. Fortunately it can be returned.

I ordered Mediasonic SATA 3.0 HP1-SS3 and the recommended SYBA card, the Mediasonic arrived first Just the card, no drivers they apparently installed from the OS during boot, it confirmed 106X SATA controller ver 0.95AHCI mode - using PCIE Gen 2 but then even though the drivebox is connected to the card and powered up (has to be turned on each 2-30 secs otherwise it shuts down) BIOS screen then shows "can find any device".

The probox is all the while showing USB 3.0, I can't get it to cycle to eSATA, I assume until it finds a valid connection. Catch 22.

Mediasonic Tech support and forums are down of course.

Any ideas?
                          I found this marketing information about the Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2, which I assume is the model you have.

The Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 Pro Box is a 4-Bay Enclosure for 3.5" SATA I/II hard disk drive. It supports four HDDs of different brands and capacities up to 4TB per drive. Dual eSATA and USB 3.0 external interface enable a blistering fast data transfer speed of up to 6Gbps and 5Gbps respectively, and switching between USB and eSATA is as simple as pressing a button. (Motherboard's SATA port MUST support Port Multiplier in order for your computer to recognize a multiple hard drive if the unit is connected via eSATA)

Seems to be a magical switch to change between USB3.0 and eSATA, must be there somewhere.

I put the part about Port Multipliers in bold because I have yet to find an Intel SATA chipset that supports port multipliers, yours does not, sorry to say. Hopefully the SYBA card does provide that support.

Comment

I wanted to say thanks for the information.

A recap - I looked at the SYBA card and NE indicated it was SATA2, so in a moment of madness I ordered all 3 cards thinking SATA3 had to be better.

The result may be interesting:

1. Roswill turned out to be another Marvell based chipset - would not work with Probox at all even though it loaded the correct drivers.
                            2. Mediasonic could only see one HD. When its website eventually came back up (down several days) they confirmed special drivers were needed.
                            3. Seyba worked right out of the box, although the box is not clear if its SATA 2 or 3. NE states its SATA 2.

Thought you would enjoy the Mediasonic forum admin comment - if you have SYBA SIL card - use that, SIL is a better chipset!

Thanks to AZN prime the less than perfect cards are going back.
                            Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-30-2014, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X