No announcement yet.

Assistance adding ram to my GA-X58A-UD3R would be appreciated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance adding ram to my GA-X58A-UD3R would be appreciated...

I'm having an issue installing more memory in my GA-X58A-UD3R. This board has 6 memory slots.

Currently I have 6gigs of GSkill in a Triple Channel Kit. ( G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ )

I wanted to boost the 6 gigs to more and purchased a 4 gig module. ( G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL ).

According to the GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard manual I can use 4 modules in slots 1,2,3,5 (currently using slots 1,3,5 with the 2 gig, triple channel ram above).

When I install the new module, I get a single long beep (no short).
    My question is: Can a single 4gig module work with 3ea 2gig modules?

Re: Assistance adding ram to my GA-X58A-UD3R would be appreciated...

For the Award BIOS in your board, the single long beep is a memory error/problem.

The problem is not one of capacity but most likely of compatibility. Your G.SKILL F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL memory does not have any X58 boards listed in its compatibility list:

Ripjaws - F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL - G.SKILL DDR3 Memory

That list goes back as far as an Intel P55 chipset board, which was very close or concurrent with X58, so it appears X58 was not left out simply because it is a relatively older platform. The 4GBRL model did not exist when X58 boards were released, or is not compatible or tested, given the Gigabyte compatibility list for your board. Actually, I see that G.SKILL does not include the LGA1366 platform as compatible with the 4GBRL model.

Unfortunately, you cannot just use any DDR3 memory model available with any board (really the memory controller in the CPU itself, but they are linked to a specific chipset used on a board), its compatibility is much stricter than DDR2, for example. Mixing models from even the same manufacture is a big gamble, and in most cases it fails to work.

I see the F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL was a pretty good buy, another kit of your F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ was about $20 more for an extra 2GB. Actually, the price per GB of those two models is virtually the same per GB.

Bottom line, if you can return the 4GBRL, do so and get another 6GBNQ kit. You won't get the 4GBRL working in your board, sorry to say.

Comment

Re: Assistance adding ram to my GA-X58A-UD3R would be appreciated...

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      For the Award BIOS in your board, the single long beep is a memory error/problem.

The problem is not one of capacity but most likely of compatibility. Your G.SKILL F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL memory does not have any X58 boards listed in its compatibility list:

Ripjaws - F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL - G.SKILL DDR3 Memory

That list goes back as far as an Intel P55 chipset board, which was very close or concurrent with X58, so it appears X58 was not left out simply because it is a relatively older platform. The 4GBRL model did not exist when X58 boards were released, or is not compatible or tested, given the Gigabyte compatibility list for your board. Actually, I see that G.SKILL does not include the LGA1366 platform as compatible with the 4GBRL model.

Unfortunately, you cannot just use any DDR3 memory model available with any board (really the memory controller in the CPU itself, but they are linked to a specific chipset used on a board), its compatibility is much stricter than DDR2, for example. Mixing models from even the same manufacture is a big gamble, and in most cases it fails to work.

I see the F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL was a pretty good buy, another kit of your F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ was about $20 more for an extra 2GB. Actually, the price per GB of those two models is virtually the same per GB.

Bottom line, if you can return the 4GBRL, do so and get another 6GBNQ kit. You won't get the 4GBRL working in your board, sorry to say.
      I think you are exactly right, and I should have done more research before I assumed anything... I'll see if Newegg will take the G.Skill back and credit it towards another 6gig (3x2 like I have now) to populate my remaining 3 slots... That would give me 12 gigs total, which should be sufficient for a while...

Thank you for the great response...

Comment

Working...
      X