Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plextor M2 ssd on a Z97x ud5h bk versus a normal Plextor m5p ssd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor M2 ssd on a Z97x ud5h bk versus a normal Plextor m5p ssd.

Recently I purchased the new Gigabyte z97x ud5h bk mb, will also buy a new Devil's Caynon processor the end of this month.

On this mb you can ao. place a M.2 ssd, will this have any effect versus a normal Sata ssd, since it will be plugged directly ont
    the mb?

tks.

Re: Plextor M2 ssd on a Z97x ud5h bk versus a normal Plextor m5p ssd.

im not sure,i think some are slightly faster than an ssd or will be a lot faster in the future
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by polypenko View Post
      On this mb you can ao. place a M.2 ssd, will this have any effect versus a normal Sata ssd, since it will be plugged directly ont
      the mb?
      I am getting ready to try this. It is supposed to be a lot faster because it is using a PCIe interface, not a SATA interface. Post your speeds and let us know!

Do you mean Plextor M2 or Plextor M.2? Because the Plextor SSD available for PCIe is called M6.

BTW, the M.2 support document (just posted on the Gigabyte site) shows two Plextor models - make sure for the UD5H you get the PCIe model! (Though I imagine any capacity of that PCIe model works, not just 128Gb.)

Comment

Originally posted by polypenko View Post
        Recently I purchased the new Gigabyte z97x ud5h bk mb, will also buy a new Devil's Caynon processor the end of this month.

the mb?

tks.
        I'm not sure what you mean by "effect", but this is a benchmark of a Plextor M6e SSD, removed from the PCIe adapter board and inserted into the M.2 slot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	M6e M.2 AS SSD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	754419

M.2 SSDs can be designed as either a PCIe or a SATA SSD, the M6e is a PCIe SSD.

Saying a M.2 SSD "is supposed to be a lot faster" leaves out a lot of important detail, such as is the M.2 SSD a PCIe or SATA device, and if PCIe, what is the interface type, x2 or x4. The M6e is a PCIe x2 SSD.

The SSD controller used in PCIe SSDs will make a big difference in performance. The M6e uses a new SSD controller from Marvell, but is a first generation device. It worked flawlessly for me but is one of the first SSDs of this type.

The M6e in some areas is somewhat faster than the best SATA SSDs, but is a first generation M.2 PCIe SSD, and is not a huge leap forward in performance... yet. I used it for a while as an OS drive, and it booted Windows a little bit faster than a Samsung 840 Pro or SanDisk Extreme II. The difference was at most a second or two.

Comment

please see below photo, this is the slot I mean.

Name:	Gigabytez97UD5h-black-edition.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	754421
          Last edited by polypenko; 06-08-2014, 04:19 AM.

Comment

This is the M2 ssd, I read the dutch test on the plextor pci-e ssd and eventhough it is a bit faster than the normal plextor
            m5pro sata ssd, the speed advantage was not substantial.

Name:	1378463300.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	754422

Comment

This is my AS ssd scorer with a Plextor M5pro

Name:	plextor m5pro.png
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	754423

Comment

The Plextor M.2 SSD in your picture will work in the M.2 slot on the Z97X UD5H board. Be careful when putting it in that slot, the slot and connector on the M.2 drive is "keyed", meaning it will fit only one way. The picture you posted is the top of that SSD, and should be up when inserted into the slot.

The Z97X UD5H board has this in the specifications:

Name:	gigabyte z97ud5h ports.PNG
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	754424

As it states, when using an M.2 SSD, the Intel SATA ports 4 and 5 will no longer work. That seems strange IMO, it is true if the M.2 SSD is a SATA type SSD, but a PCIe type SSD like the M6e would not use up SATA ports 4 and 5 as far as I know.

Is this what you mean by effect?

Comment

What I mean is, will a M2 ssd versus my normal plextor m5p be noticible in responciveness and overall
                  performances of my system?

Comment

Has anybody meanwhile bought a m.2 ssd with the new z97 mb and does it boot correctly
                    with W 8.1 64 bits.

Comment

I cant see why it wouldn't work fine

as for it being faster than a normal ssd idk,I think its still early tech and speeds will increase in the future,right now I think its no faster than a normal ssd
                      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Since it is not yet on the GB approved list, GB cannot guarantee it will work.

On the otherhand you would expect the m2 slot should work flawlessly with a m.2 ssd.

Comment

gigabyte need to get a move on and test it

I cant see any reason why it wouldn't work,if not then email them and sure they would send a revised bios for you
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Since reading the below review, I have put my planned upgrade from Ssd to M.2 ssd on Hold.

Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD Review - Page 7 of 7 - Legit ReviewsFinal Thoughts & Conclusions

Comment

yeah its early technology at the moment,but will become faster as it matures

EDIT: what about one of these?

Our attendance at the Samsung Global SSD Summit in South Korea brought us a first glimpse of a new standard in ultrabook storage performance.  At the Summit, t
                              Last edited by wazza300; 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM.
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X