Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G1 sniper m5 z87 boot issues.

Hey forum peeps.

Alright so to start things off, this isnt a critical disruption but rather an annoyance for me as my PC is running fine at full expected performance. I built this computer in January of this year. Specs:

i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz
    2133mhz 9-11-11-31 1.65v corsair dom plat
    gb z87 g1 sniper m5 mobo
    evga 780 ti SC
    xfx black edition 750w gold psu (seasonic)
    sandisk 480gb extreme ii boot drive
    wb blue 500gb for a bit of storage
    corsair 350D case
    win 8.1 fully updated

Alright, so, what has happened is.. when i built the computer i flashed the old F3 bios to the latest at that time, F7 version. I used the windows @BIOS utility and was later told that Q-flash is superior and sometimes things can get messed up with @BIOS. So i reflashed with Q-flash. What started happening after several boots and my overclock tested 100% stable was... with the computer plugged in and power supply switch on, i hit the front button to boot up on my 350D. Computer boots goes through usual LED codes and hits A0 ( which i think is the last code before it hands off to O/S) and the computer just shuts down. No, its not a boot loop like many people have tried to diagnose it as on other forums, just shuts down in a second and its off for good. Ok, a few seconds later i hit the power button again, it boots, and this time it successfully boots into windows. This happens every single time i start the computer, takes two boots to hit windows. Weird thing is, the computer runs 100% fine after it actually boots, i know that my overclock settings are stable based on testing, so im confused here. I tried using the BETA bios versions, and currently im on F8C and i tested the released F8 and its no different. Of course i think this is a BIOS issue on bootup, but it could be O/S or power supply issues which ive also been suggested on other forums. Here are a list of things ive tried:

-Clear CMOS many times
    -Use stock settings in BIOS, same thing happens.
    - tried different BIOS versions flashing with Q-flash, F7, F8c, F8, havent tried F5 or F6, board shipped with F3 initially.
    - using backup BIOS, i actually switched off of dualbios mode, and im not on the first bios anymore, i flashed the backup to F8C just because i didnt want the old F3 anymore, issue persists. I switched BIOS just in case i corrupted the first one by using @BIOS. Im unsure on that one.
    -Using XMP and manual timings on memory, indifferent.
    -Running several passes of memtest and apparently my memory has no errors.
    -booting using onboard power button instead of case.

This issue has me stuck because it doesnt appear to be identical to any other google search i lookup. Its close, but since it isnt a boot loop, i dont know. Another thing to note is, sometimes the board will bootup in just 1 hit of the power button but it boots with code 04 instead of A0. From what ive read, 04 means booting from sleep, and im not sure why that is, because my computer is always shut down and never put into sleep mode. The main points people have brought up is, check your connections for the front panel header, im pretty sure according to manual i have all + and - in the right spots, someone said this might short the board. Another suggestion was maybe your power supply is turning it off on boot because the voltage is too high during boot as a safety measure, i tried taking out my GPU and using iGPU and that didnt help.

Ive been so stressed over this minor bug even though with 2 boots the computer boots up and im perfectly fine gaming or doing school work. Its one of those mild annoyances that noone can seem to diagnose, and thats my frustration with it. changing out the PSU or RMA'ing the board are possibilities, even though i could live with this problem. Seeing as the board works 100% in functionality i dont see how it would be the board itself, but who knows.

No other bugs appear in my computer just this boot up one, thanks for reading my thoughts and words and i would appreciate if anyone could provide some input. Thank you.

Re: G1 sniper m5 z87 boot issues.

anyway to test without the ssd?

doe sit do it if you set the memory to stock speed?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

yes it does it with memory at stock settings, ummm about the ssd.. i only have windows installed on it and not my hard drive. how could i setup something to test it?

Comment

idk,do you have all intel sata ports on that board? or any asmedia aswell? try on any third party sata ports if you have them

there are issues with some sandforce controlled ssd's on z87 chipset,so I would test that first
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

its a marvell controller from sandisk in thier drive with custom firmware. I could try another sata port i guess as a start.

Comment

I have had this identical issue; cold start after a normal shutdown, PC goes through POST, I get the single beep of POST completing, and shortly thereafter, it shuts off. The PC does not restart on its own. I then push the power button again, same POST sequence and Windows boots fine. PC is fine after that.

I have an ASRock Z87 EX 6 board, 4670K, and a 480GB SanDisk EX II SSD as the boot drive. I've also had the same problem using various other SSDs as the boot drive, Intel 530, 520, or two 520s in RAID 0.

I also have this issue on another PC with an ASRock Z77 board with a 3570K, Samsung 840 EVO as the boot drive. Both PCs use Seasonic PSUs.

There is only one thing in common between these two PCs, and TallGora's PC that I suspected and I now think even more is the culprit: Windows 8.1.

(Read the entire paragraph before getting excited.) I recently seem to have fixed this issue on the Z87/SanDisk EX II PC, by enabling Ultra Fast boot. That can only be done with a Windows installation configured for UEFI booting, if you are familiar with that, so don't bother trying Ultra Fast boot unless you use such an installation. Not that it would hurt anything to try, but the PC won't boot.

Do I know why using Ultra Fast boot fixes this issue? No. I wonder if it's related to the Windows 8 "quick start" feature I imagine you know of, but exactly how I don't know.

Your post is the first one I've seen that described my issue perfectly. Before that, I wondered about the board, the UEFI/BIOS, etc, as I'm sure you have. This thread gave me some relief and now the motivation to follow up on this issue, in the Windows direction. I hope my post gives you some relief, as I really do not think it is hardware related.

An example of that is this, a third PC I have with an identical ASRock Z77 board, same UEFI version but a 2600K CPU, another Intel 520 SSD as the boot drive, Seasonic PSU, and UEFI booting Windows installation, does NOT exhibit this shut down once on cold start, work perfect second time thing. The difference is it uses Window 8. Not 8.1, I deliberately did not update this PC to see if there were differences. I think we found one.

Comment

hmmm this is comforting to know that someone has experienced this. I appreciate your feedback, i disabled the startup feature in the power controls, and this morning on cold boot it was fine, and no 04 sleep code, im guessing that code may of also been caused by the quick boot feature, perhaps tricking the board into believe it awoke from sleep? so weird, disabling this feature alone has made me so happy! I probably wont redo the install in UEFI mode, unless i have reason to reformat i may try it, is there a guide on how to do it? Thank you so much for the response, i dont know if its 100% fixed but so glad it booted properly this morning

Comment

Originally posted by TallGora View Post
                hmmm this is comforting to know that someone has experienced this. I appreciate your feedback, i disabled the startup feature in the power controls, and this morning on cold boot it was fine, and no 04 sleep code, im guessing that code may of also been caused by the quick boot feature, perhaps tricking the board into believe it awoke from sleep? so weird, disabling this feature alone has made me so happy! I probably wont redo the install in UEFI mode, unless i have reason to reformat i may try it, is there a guide on how to do it? Thank you so much for the response, i dont know if its 100% fixed but so glad it booted properly this morning
                Hello.
                I have the same problem. How do you solve this? Thank U

Comment

Working...
                X