Computer restarting on its own after shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer restarting on its own after shutdown

Starting about a week ago, my computer has begun to restart sometimes about two to three seconds after it has seemingly shut down (via Win 8.1 shutdown). I suppose it could be a start switch going bad, although in the three years I've had this Cooler Master case I've only recently begun starting manually, vs. powering from a console. Before I write Cooler Master about a replacement, if feasible, are there any other possibilities? Thanks,
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Intel i7-4790K
    32 GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 RAM (Ares 4x8gb)
    EVGA GTX950 SC
    Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C cooler w/ Nexus Silent Fan
    Seasonic X650 PSU
    Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD (system drive)
    SanDisk ExtremePro 480, Seagate 1TB, 2TB and 2x 3TB SATA 6Gb/s
    Plextor PX-891SA CD/DVD Writer/Player
    Dell U2412M Monitor (1920x1200)
    IBM Model M keyboard / Bornd M120 wireless mouse
    Thermaltake F31 Case
    Canon MP640 / Brother HL-2270DW printers
    Audio system: Dac + Powered speakers + USB card + LPS + power cond./distrib.
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: Computer restarting on its own after shutdown

I don't see BIOS (UEFI) U1h on your board's download page, so don't know what its features are, all I see is U1L. I assume U1H is a beta UEFI from @BIOS?

Did you remove the Gigabyte utilities that are not compatible with the UEFI BIOS?

Other mobo manufactures I've seen have UEFI/BIOS updates that include modification for "Windows 8 shutdown behavior", not sure if Gigabyte has anything similar.

I would look into the power switch, I'm sure the part that contains the power button could be replaced.

For a test, you could remove the cables from the power switch to the boards system header. Then start the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the power switch cables were connected to. Later shutdown the PC via Windows, and see if it remains off.

What do you mean exactly when you say, "I've only recently begun starting manually, vs. powering from a console"? Starting the PC via the keyboard or mouse?

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I woke up this morning thinking it's unlikely to be the switch, since after cutting off it must be getting an electrical signal from somewhere. For BIOS instructions, you have to see the Z77-UD3H board manual. I haven't changed BIOS settings for awhile, but will have to check that. I'm wondering if the the power supply isn't the culprit, with some kind of signal being re-sent. Be interested to find out more about Win 8 shutdown behavior, if there's anything special. What I meant by powering from console is that up until recently I had the computer plugged into a console and the BIOS set to start with power. Since adding a good audio system and upgrading the wall outlet quality, the computer is plugged directly into the wall. That means manual start from the computer start button. Since late November.
      EVGA GTX950 SC
      Seasonic X650 PSU
      Thermaltake F31 Case
      Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

You have your signature showing a Z68 board, and you are talking about a Z77 board....not that it likely makes any difference.
        I doubt the manual switch is bad, anything's possible but I tend to doubt the switch. The symptoms of restarting right after shutdown seem more BIOS or OS related to me.

Changed any BIOS settings lately? Installed any utilities?
        Have you tried reflashing the BIOS and loading optimized defaults?
        Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
        Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
        PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
        Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
        Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
        HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
        SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

It's interesting, I normally hold off posting a second place, but this time I didn't and have gotten very different thoughts/suggestions from each. Both are worth trying: 1) reflash the BIOS and 2) disconnect the cable modem before shutdown to test if it's sending a WOL signal. I also contacted Kingwin, the PSU maker, and they are looking into whether or not it could be their unit. As for boards, Gigabyte didn't update the Z68 manual when UEFI became common, so the pertinent info has to be drawn from their Z77's manual.
          EVGA GTX950 SC
          Seasonic X650 PSU
          Thermaltake F31 Case
          Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Hi there,

noticed from your spec's that you're using a Dell monitor that has USB ports. Have you connected this to the PC via USB? If yes, try removing the USB cable as I found with my Dell monitor the same thing happening. Only stopped rebooting once I had disconnected the USB link.
            Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-AX370-Gaming K7 - PSU: Corsair AXi 760 Watt Modular
            CPU: AMD Ryzen7 1800 X - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock (AM4) - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 32Gb running at 2400MHz
            GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1050Ti - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
            Storage: Samsung M.2 NVMe 500Gb, Corsair Force GS 250Gb SSD, SanDisk 250Gb SSD
            ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Keyboard: Logitech K800; Logitech Touchpad T650 - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Comment

DVI not USB. Note that I put this system together close to two years ago and this problem only developed in the past seven days or so.
              EVGA GTX950 SC
              Seasonic X650 PSU
              Thermaltake F31 Case
              Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Originally posted by absic View Post
                Hi there,

noticed from your spec's that you're using a Dell monitor that has USB ports. Have you connected this to the PC via USB? If yes, try removing the USB cable as I found with my Dell monitor the same thing happening. Only stopped rebooting once I had disconnected the USB link.
                Originally posted by genegold View Post
                DVI not USB.
                I'm thinking absic was inferring if you have the monitors built-in USB hub connected back to the computer to disconnect it and see if your rebooting stops.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks, but I don't use the monitor's USB hub. Not even sure I ever got them working, though there's no need.
                  EVGA GTX950 SC
                  Seasonic X650 PSU
                  Thermaltake F31 Case
                  Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

I give. Your PSU, All I can seemingly find are your posts here and elsewhere when Googling "Kingwin LWP-550".

Maybe LZG-550 or LZP-550 instead?
                    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

LZP-550. Thanks for spotting the typo! Welcome to www.Kingwin.com: Power Supplies - Lazer Platinum Series 550w.

I used the PSU calculator before buying the Kingwin and then again a few months ago when I added an outboard audio system. The estimated max is 430w, and I was very conservative, including aging and adding devices. The Kingwin LZP-550 is an "80 Plus" and the Tweek Town reviewer found it tested a full 550W. He also said, "The LZP-550 is essentially a 650W Gold rated power supply that performs at Platinum efficiency when rated for 550W."

I just disconnected the cable modem before shutting down but the restart continued, so we can probably rule out the network module. One thing I didn't mention is that when the restart occurs, I immediately hold in the start button for several seconds and that kills it.
                      Last edited by genegold; 02-11-2014, 12:18 AM.
                      EVGA GTX950 SC
                      Seasonic X650 PSU
                      Thermaltake F31 Case
                      Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

I posted this over on anandtech and got what seems to be the solution:

"One more thing you might try re the registry:

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Double Click on "PowerdownAfterShutdown"

Then,
                        Change it to "0" if it is "1" OR
                        Change it to "1" if it is "0".

And hit Enter."
                        Computer reboots a few seconds after shutdown - AnandTech Forums
                        EVGA GTX950 SC
                        Seasonic X650 PSU
                        Thermaltake F31 Case
                        Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Interesting, and thanks.

You install any software or util recently that may have changed that? Backup sw maybe?

Comment

No. I used Windows backup and SyncBack Pro under Win 8, but only the latter under 8.1. I do have occasional freezes, apparently related to audio programs in conflict with each other and/or Windows 8 (started with a new dac and its driver last June). I assume the problem occurred because of one of those freezes, but don't really know. Upon rebooting, I immediately run Yamicsoft Windows 8 Mgr's repair module, which buys me a week or two until the next. If anything was wrong, that repair should have fixed it, but since it didn't maybe there was another cause.
                            EVGA GTX950 SC
                            Seasonic X650 PSU
                            Thermaltake F31 Case
                            Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

From what I read at Anandtech, you have other problems so it's hard to say definitively what causes what....I would think that value would be set in the registry normally to "power off", but maybe it's a Windows 8 thing.

Anyway glad you have some of it figured out!
                              Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
                              Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
                              PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                              Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
                              Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
                              HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
                              SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Working...
                              X