Phase LEDs are Red, Yellow, and Green on GA-X58A-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase LEDs are Red, Yellow, and Green on GA-X58A-UD3R

GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0, i7-960, Corsair RM1000 PS, GTX-560 Ti, Corsair 120GB SSD SATA3 System, 3TB Hitachi SATA3 data, Win 7, 64bit

This problem started the Sat before Xmas. Machine would not power up. The 6 Phase LEDs were Green, Green, Yellow, Yellow, Red, Red. NB Phase LEDs were Green, Yellow. DDR Phase LEDs were Green, Yellow.

Yesterday I replaced the motherboard with a new one and replaced the power supply with the RM1000 and on power up (power on at the PS) Phase LEDs were the same (G,G,Y,Y,R,R), got 3 or 4 sets of 4 beeps (I think short). Something was on the screen white on black, but I was not able to catch it.

Right now if I turn the PS on, the 6 Phase LEDs go G,G,Y,Y,R,R. NB Phase goes G,Y. DDR Phase goes G,Y. Then when I hit the PC power switch I get 4 sets of 4 short beeps, then it attempts to boot. I stop and go into BIOS at this time because BIOS sees the data drive but not the system drive. Not sure if this is a related problem. Both drives were just replaced. AC power source is routed thru an APC surge protector/battery backup unit.

This sequence of beeps is not listed in the mobo manual. The closest is continuous short beeps indicating a power error. The Phase LEDs are listed in the manual as "The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs. To enable the Phase LED function, please first enable Dynamic Energy Saver 2. Refer to Chapter 4, Dynamic Energy Saver 2 for more details"

Really could use some help here. Do I have a bad processor?? Does anyone know the meaning of the beeps?? Thanks for your help.

David

Re: Phase LEDs are Red, Yellow, and Green on GA-X58A-UD3R

tried with just one ram stick installed and the graphic card? no other hardware attached (hdd's/ssd's)

put just one stick in any of the white slots
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, I just love these intermittent problems! I disconnected everything except graphics card and one mem stick. GGYYRR phase LEDs on only on pc power up (not ps on). No beeps. Added 2nd mem stick, same results. Added 3rd mem stick, ditto. Added system SSD and the damn thing boots into windows, although I had forgotten to set date/time in bios (Remember I have a new mobo - same model). Interestingly, Windows is missing almost all startup programs. Don't know whether this because of new mobo or not setting date?? I was surprised that it booted because bios had not been recognizing the SSD.

Rebooted successfully several times. Note that once system booted into windows, phase LEDs never came on again. Then on one reboot, boom, back to square one. Phase LEDs GGYYRR, 4 sets of 4 short beeps, bios not recognizing the sys SSD. Disconnected everything again and repeated and finally booted into windows, this time mouse stuck in middle of screen and no startup progs. Rebooted into f8 and repair and all seems to be well. Problems with Norton Ghost and AV.

Don't have a good feeling here. Some type of intermittent problem, but what. I'm pretty much left with memory, graphics or CPU. I've already replaced the mobo and ps.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

Comment

are you stable once in the bios?if so might help to flash to latest bios

I would only run one ram stick at the mo to ensure more stability
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The phase LEDs are not an error indication. All they do is indicate how many of the various mother board power voltage regulators (or phases) are active at a given time. If they shut off when the PC boots, that might be a BIOS option. When the PC starts, they might all be on normally, and any control of them does not kick in until after POST or system boot. That may be controlled by a Gigabyte utility that starts when Windows boots. It's usually a good idea to know how the features of your board works, and what if any software control of those features is active when the PC boots.

Searching for four short beep codes for your board's Award BIOS turns up nothing. The closest is one long and three short beeps, which is a memory problem.

My vote for your problem is the SSD. Not recognized at times, intermittent freezing in Windows, missing startup programs, which are not affected by the date and time. If the replacement board is the same model as the old one, nothing changed regarding drivers and board hardware, so the Windows installation should boot fine.

OTOH, connecting the SSD to the correct SATA port is essential. If you're using the Marvell SATA III (not!) interface, don't, they are terrible. Same with the Gigabyte SATA ports. Find and use the Intel SATA II ports, the best and most stable interface you have on that board. But who knows what SATA mode and driver is installed for the Intel SATA II ports. What SATA ports are you using?

Comment

Okay. Just got off phone with Gigabyte. Parsec you are right. The Phase LEDs are not an error condition, only an indication of voltages for hw attached to mb, although red is not good. Note that there is no way to tell which lights refer to which hw. Only the gigabyte tech can tell with a troubleshooting card. The tech knew immediately that the 4 short beeps indicate a memory problem. He said re-seating the memory sticks would cause them to work for a while which would explain the behaviour. Asked me to check stick voltage against bios because if different can cause memory to burn up slowly over time. No problem there though for me - both at 1.5v. Corsair is replacing them and I should have in a few days.

Since I installed the identical mobo (new board did have latest BIOS), I expected Windows to just boot up normally, so didn't expect the problems I experienced. As for the Corsair system SSD, I have replaced 3 times in the 2 1/2 years, the 1st 2 times the result of early Corsair problems with firmware. The last was this last November when a failing data disk (also installed on the Marvel), caused the SSD to fail and corrupted windows. That was a nasty problem that took me about 5 weeks to solve and recover from. I had just recovered from that problem when only 2 - 3 weeks later this problem happened. It's very likely that the memory was complicit in the earlier problem.

This board has 6 Sata2 connections running off ICH10R, 2 Sata 3 connections on Marvel 9128, and 2 Sata2 connections on Gigabyte Sata 2. I bought this board because I wanted Sata3 (6gb/s) support. With hindsight, I do not like the Marvell and have not been happy with it. I don't really want to use the Sata2, but if I continue to have problems, may have to. I thought about upgrading mobo to later generation that supported the Intel Sata3, but just don't want to deal with all the problems that will cause Windows. I have over 250 installed programs, 2 1/2 years of updates, configurations, etc. to deal with. I just don't want to do a fresh install and reinstall everything. That would be a nightmare. I believe Acronis supports a system migration to different hardware, but I believe that you have the option of updating hw drivers on an image recovery if I'm to understand how that works. Would have to change from Ghost to TrueImage for that.

I will update any changes after install the new memory. I think the most frustrating thing is how easily Windows gets corrupted.

Thanks for the help so far. --- David

Comment

Working...
            X