Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UEFI "Press DEL to Enter Setup" Timer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UEFI "Press DEL to Enter Setup" Timer...

So I noticed when I first purchased my motherboard and configured full, native UEFI (Windows Fast Boot, etc.); that the options to Press DEL to Enter Setup, F12 to Enter Q-Flash never appeared. I've been wondering if their existence in later BIOS revisions is a result of Gigabyte implementing a hard timeout for 'legacy' users to not get confused about how to enter the BIOS from a Windows 8 machine.

Does anyone have any information on this? If it's true? Or why it takes 'so long' to get through POST?

I've got full native UEFI configuration, Secure Boot on, CSM off, GPT Partitioning, SSD, No encryption. Partial startup on USB devices, etc.

My timing concern is only with the POST (or whatever it's called these days in the new UEFI process)

And when I mean 'so long', I'm really just wondering if there's a way I can cut that off because I just don't want to see it. And if there's an associated hard coded timer, to nuke it.

Re: UEFI "Press DEL to Enter Setup" Timer...

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that in later BIOS versions, the screen display/prompts appear now when they did not in the past?

Usually there are UEFI/BIOS options to skip the board's logo screen, and adjust the "Setup Prompt Timeout", etc, usually in the Boot screen. That varies from manufacture to manufacture. Hard coded timers are meant to be non-nukeable.

Given your hardware, the optical drive is a slow poke to start, possibly the sound card, as any extra devices need time to start.

Comment

Re: UEFI "Press DEL to Enter Setup" Timer...

Yeah, I understand what you're saying about the devices. I try to keep DVDs out of the drive tray in my system for this very reason.

But yes, I've heard of the "Setup Prompt Timeout" before; and considering I used to not see this prompt at all on this board (in early BIOS revisions) I just assumed it's something they added to the BIOS to placate people who couldn't figure out how to get there from Windows. I am not one of those people, and I don't want the timeout to exist at all.

Comment

Working...
      X