Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Well ****,
    I've ended up back on this page again 8 months later and I STILL don't know what IMEI does!

I'm bored so I'm updating drivers, but somehow I have a newer version of IMEI installed than Intel or Gigabyte have available on their websites.. What the hell?

Comment

With all posts explained earlier,read one more:

Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Comment

Originally posted by stasio View Post
        With all posts explained earlier,read one more:

Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools
        So from this I found out that it "performs various tasks" and "perform(s) functions".
        Anybody know what these 'functions' and 'tasks' actually are?

It would be nice to get a concrete list..

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe50000 View Post
          So from this I found out that it "performs various tasks" and "perform(s) functions".
          Anybody know what these 'functions' and 'tasks' actually are?
          Platform Clocks Control (ICC), Thermal Monitoring/Fan Control/Power Management, Overclocking, Silicon Workaround, Identity Protection Technology, Rapid Start Technology, Smart Connect Technology, Sensor Hub Controller, Active Management Technology, Small Business Advantage, Wireless Display, Protected Video/Audio Path etc

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            Octopuss,

Your forum profile is set up so that you can't receive private messages.

Your location "in the ass" is offensive and not permitted in the forum.

You are now banned from the forum for 30 days.

If you use offensive language in the future, you will be permanently banned from the forum.

Flaming, spamming and inappropriate language is not permitted.

Forum Moderator
            I'm a lazy person but i specially joined this forum to say something about this massively ridiculous moderating. Bad man didn't follow the little rules set up by some sad and lonely computerfreak, is that it :( ? This is so moronic that i just don't have words. Maybe just ....ban this you poor little **** and c u in Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by xcx View Post
              I'm a lazy person but i specially joined this forum to say something about this massively ridiculous moderating. Bad man didn't follow the little rules set up by some sad and lonely computerfreak, is that it :( ? This is so moronic that i just don't have words. Maybe just ....ban this you poor little **** and c u in Youtube.
              I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: It is an opened backdoor! for whom?

Comment

Thought I'd answer this question, as there seems to be some confusion.

The Intel AMT facility is accessed for configuration on boot by tapping ctrl+p or ctrl+j

Within there you can set all sorts of boot options, network options and remote control options.

To access a machine that has AMT enabled (which is what the management engine let's you interface you would use a browser on the same network, in the address bar you would enter

machinename.domain.domainextension:16992

This will give you a back end BIOS access that allows you to turn on machines that are off, restart machines, check hardware status and more.

Sadly it's a bit insecure these days....

I've been using it for years though.

Comment

I know this thread is old, but there's a lot of misinformation here.

So here's the thing. AMT is different than the Management Engine Interface.

AMT is for remotely controlling a machine, but it uses the Management Engine Interface.

The Management Engine Interface has uses such as:
                    1. Overclocking - Allows you to change CPU voltage, core speeds, memory timings, etc on the fly
                    2. Sensors and management - Allows you to control fan speeds, read sensors (temperature, etc)
                    3. Making changes to the BIOS from within Windows (or whatever OS)
                    4. You can do things such as power off the computer, reboot the computer, etc, through the MEI, too, but it's often easier to use the OS's built-in features for this (or the power/reset buttons), so there's not much use for this locally.

Most personal computers have the MEI, but don't have the AMT, as that's usually only needed on workstation-class and server machines.

Hope that clears things up!

Comment

Plus, what we've discovered by Jan 2018: IME could be categorized as a 'backdoor' - since it's all undocumented, closed-source and has serious vulnerabilities which have now been made public.

Comment

Wow, is there a doubt in anyone's mind as to what IME is for? Let's see:

- IME has been installed on all Intel chipsets since 2008;
                        - user has no control over it;
                        - it's a standalone Minix-based system that can take control of the system at the lowest level;
                        - it cannot be turned off by user;
                        - tech specs are not publicly available.

Also have a look here

Comment

Originally posted by lenix View Post
                          Hello,

I noticed on my new motherboard there is a device in device manager with an exclamation mark and obviously this is related to the "Intel Management Engine Interface" drivers gigabyte offers.

I researched about this a lot, and it's of no use to me, my question is, is it needed? What is the recommendation on this? There is no option to disable this in bios, so I reckon it's necessary?

Thanks,
                          I have an asus vivobook/zenbook laptop. and the computer goes to sleep and refuses to wake up no matter what keys you press. disabling this management engine in device manager fixed that problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X