No announcement yet.

Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Hello,

I noticed on my new motherboard there is a device in device manager with an exclamation mark and obviously this is related to the "Intel Management Engine Interface" drivers gigabyte offers.

I researched about this a lot, and it's of no use to me, my question is, is it needed? What is the recommendation on this? There is no option to disable this in bios, so I reckon it's necessary?

Thanks,
    Gigabyte z87x-ud3h
    Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
    Gigabyte 610W
    Onboard sound

Re: Intel Management Engine Interface, is it needed?

Without knowing what mother board model and chipset you have, it is difficult to tell you how important the IME software is for your board.

In general, the newer the board/chipset (Intel 7 or 8 series), the more you need the IME software. It's not a Gigabyte driver, it is from Intel and does many underlying things that are difficult to explain. All of the chipset's features may not work until IME is installed. The Device Manager unknown device entry is a sign that IME is not installed.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Without knowing what mother board model and chipset you have, it is difficult to tell you how important the IME software is for your board.

In general, the newer the board/chipset (Intel 7 or 8 series), the more you need the IME software. It's not a Gigabyte driver, it is from Intel and does many underlying things that are difficult to explain. All of the chipset's features may not work until IME is installed. The Device Manager unknown device entry is a sign that IME is not installed.
      My motherboard is z87x-ud3h. I've read that IME is related to overclocking, maybe it affects overclocking from inside windows only? Any idea what functionality will I lose if I don't install the drivers for IME?
      Gigabyte z87x-ud3h
      Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
      Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
      EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
      Gigabyte 610W
      Onboard sound

Comment

I am really curious what functionality this thing has ANYONE would need. I haven't seen one case where not installing the driver caused any problems in last ten years.
        I don't even understand why they put it on boards.

Comment

For a brief introduction to IME check out: All about Intel Management Engine Interface | Intel Technologies:

Posted by Tom Carpenter
          Intel Management Engine Interface or IMEI is one of the main components of the VPRO Remote Access technology by Intel. VPRO is an umbrella term that refers to a collection of several computer hardware technologies that help in managing the PCs. These technologies provide security features and enable remote accessing to the PC including the management, monitoring and maintenance irrespective of the operating system state and PC power state as well. IMEI manages the processor’s input/output operations.

What exactly is IMEI?
          Most of the people still remain confused with the term Intel Management Engine Interface as they have little knowledge of the computer hardware. So, here is a short definition of IMEI. Basically, it is an interface that uses the Intel ME hardware features to enable an interaction between high- and low-level hardware systems in a system. With this Intel feature, the administrators can now handle the tasks without intervention of the human beings. This has simplified various tasks in a computer system.
          Is IMEI required in all systems?

Intel Management Engine Interface allows you to work in both low as well as high level hardware environments. You can carry out various configuration tasks using this interface system. Also, some applications like remote access require connection between low and high levels of hardware in the board. For this IMEI is must.

Setting up the Management Engine (ME)
          Management engine is a low power, small computer sub-system that is built into many chipset based platforms of the processors. For utilising the Management Engine interface, you are required to setup the Intel’s ME by activating it successfully in compatible BIOS system of the PCs. Once the Management Engine is enabled in the system, you get access to different BIOS functions. For altering any existing changes in the BIOS system, you need to configure an initial password for the administrator when you enter the ME BIOS interface for the very first time.

With the help of ME, one can easily turn ON Intel’s active management technology already existing on the system. The power management feature of this technology saves overhead energy that is not in use. Management Engine shuts down after a definite interval of time when the interface is no longer active. This allows the systems to sleep thus saving power when not in use.

Tasks performed by the Management Engine
          The main component of Management Engine interface, ME performs a number of tasks in conditions when the system is running or in sleep mode. It also supports several tasks during the boot process. This sub-system is required for proper functioning and maximum efficiency of the PC. The interface checks whether the system is working properly or not while communicating with the operating system of PC.

Use of IMEI drivers
          It is well known that the Intel Management Engine Interface enables effectual communication between the Intel Management Engine firmware and the host operating system. The Driver installs the hardware required for proper functioning of interface. Intel Management Engine interface driver support is different for different operating systems.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

@profJim, Thanks for that but unfortunately it doesn't answer any of my questions.
            Gigabyte z87x-ud3h
            Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
            Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
            EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
            Gigabyte 610W
            Onboard sound

Comment

It sort of does: it's completely useless. It's part of some weirdo remote access functionality which isn't even fully implemented on mainstream motherboards (not sure about you, I have never seen any MEI-related stuff in BIOS on any of my boards, ever), and it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to put those chips in. It probably just makes the boards more expensive.

I just disable that thing in device manager and don't bother. It doesn't seem to provide ANY functionality at all.

Comment

The ME firmware is often installed along with the BIOS so people are often unaware it even exists.
                ......not understanding how it works doesn't make it useless.
                Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
                Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
                PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
                Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
                HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
                SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Please give me ONE example of what it does.
                  Except for these copypastes from Intel site, part of vpro blabla, remote access blabla, numerous things that use it blabla... I have NEVER EVER seen anyone explain what it actually does and what functionality does it add to a desktop board that's needed.
                  Last edited by Octopuss; 11-23-2013, 03:47 PM.

Comment

One post I found that sums the confusion up nicely:
                    IMEI is one component of Intel's VPRO remote access technology. I'm a bit
                    surprised that it's unexpectedly showing up in what I presume is a consumer
                    computer; it's an extra-cost item (last time I talked to our account team we
                    were told that they paid Intel $25 for each system shipped with the
                    feature).

Comment

There's some examples in profJim's post. If you don't understand what it says, that's on you.
                      I guess you're trying to make an argument out of it.....but I'm done with it.
                      PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                      Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

No, those are not examples of any kind, it's more like that bull**** people from recruitment agencies say - tons of words with no meaning whatsoever :D
                        I have yet to see any real world example of what that thing actually does. I even tried to google for it for quite some time and got exactly zero results.

Comment

Originally posted by Octopuss View Post
                          No, those are not examples of any kind, it's more like that bull**** people from recruitment agencies say - tons of words with no meaning whatsoever :D
                          I have yet to see any real world example of what that thing actually does. I even tried to google for it for quite some time and got exactly zero results.
                          The functionality is pretty clear if you do enough research. It's mainly for remote management of machines, for example you can boot up a turned off machine and even modify the bios remotely (teamviewer for bios :P). You can also set up many policies for this machine.. Basically It's a great idea for businesses and so, not for home users.

Check these videos out:
                          What makes Intel AMT motherboards special? - YouTube
                          Intel AMT Commander demonstration (1/2) - YouTube
                          Intel AMT Commander demonstration (2/2) - YouTube

My main point was that some of the articles discussing IMEI mentioned that the chip itself is responsible for many functions in the system, making it sound like a core component, without explaining those 'many functions'. (I think it's related to overclocking from inside the windows environment too, but thats something I don't do)

Anyway, I never installed the windows driver and I'm not planning to. I wonder why the chip does not have any options in bios, we should be able to disable it.
                          Gigabyte z87x-ud3h
                          Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
                          Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
                          EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC
                          Gigabyte 610W
                          Onboard sound

Comment

I once tried to do something-anything with this. I figured ok, this is supposed to let me do some sort of remote access/management with any PC that has such chip on the board. I thought I'd install driver for the ME engine something, and some software that would do the remote management on other PC. I was very surprised I couldn't find ANYTHING. I looked through Intel's web and there was nothing that looked like it could do this.
                            The whole thing is still a mystery to me.

Comment

I look at it mostly as an interface between the BIOS and the OS.
                              But the way things are going these days, it wouldn't surprise me if someone found out it's also a backdoor for the NSA.

Comment

Working...
                              X