Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z87X-UD5H Z87 constantly rebooting after bios update failure

Hello all,

I recently replaced the motherboard, CPU, and hard drive in a 3 year old computer case I had (Velocity Micro mid-case). Current setup is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H Z87

CPU: Intel i5-4670k
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
    Hard drive: SSD - Corsair Neutron Series GTX 2.5-Inch 240GB
    Video Card: 1 - Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti 2GB (3 months old, had been working well)
    Power supply: Thermaltake 850W SP-850 AH3CCB (3 months old has been working well)
    Network Card: Trendnet TEW 641 pc Wireless N card

My experience level is medium-low - I have built several computers and replaced multiple components in computers before. Everything went well with the replacement, the computer booted up with no problems and my clean install on Windows 7 worked fine. I worked with the computer for 6-7 hours yesterday reloading programs and checking operations with various software and games. Everything worked great with the exception of the power on/off switch. I had to power on the computer directly from the motherboard power switch.

This morning I loaded up the Gigabyte utility program and attempted to use the @bios app to update the Bios. Unfortunately, I did not note what the actual bios was on the machine. I received a message that the Bios update had "failed". I decided to do a restart on the machine and try again. After the machine shut down it began to try to restart and from that point on will only reboot endlessly. The led's and fans will come on and it will begin to startup, even to seeing the Gigabyte bios on the screen then will power off and start over. At no time will it go long enough to let me get into the BIOS. The time between restarts is random - sometimes it only goes about 5-6 seconds and sometimes will go as long as 20 seconds before it restarts.

Reading the forums - I noted that there are some potential hardware conflicts. However, it seems very suspicious that this began right after I tried to update the BIOS. There were no issues working with the new hardware for the firs 6-8 hours after first starting up. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I am stumped.....

Thanks,

Don Cameron

Re: GA-Z87X-UD5H Z87 constantly rebooting after bios update failure

Have you trying to clear CMOS? Try to clear cmos via push button, with system powered off hold button for 10-20 sec. If you can get into the system I could recommend reflashing the bios from q-flash. It is highly recommend that you flash the bios with q-flash, only use @bios when gigabyte updates q-flash. If and when then make sure you download the latest version of @bios before flashing. After flash it is always recommended that you load optimized defaults and reboot then make your changes in bios.

If you still cant get into the bios there should be a bios switch to switch from main to backup bios I believe. With the system shut off switch the switch and system should boot from backup bios. Then you should be able to flip switch back and enter q-flash to flash main bios the correct way.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Thanks Ace,

Just wanted to follow up and let you know I was able to get this resolved (although felt a little like an idiot). After rereading the manual on the Gigabyte motherboard, I realized the GA-Z87-UD5H has a small switch on the MB allowing you to switch to the backup BIOS. After flipping the switch, I was able to come up smoothly on the backup BIOS and the flash back over the corrupted BIOS on the main chip using Alt-f10. After verifying I could boot on both BIOS, I used Qflash to flash the lastest BIOS in with no further problems.... . Honestly, hard to believe that Gigabyte gets away with a crappy app like @bios but the dual BIOS design saved my butt this time!

Thanks,

Don

Comment

Had exact same issue trying to update bios to F7 via windows. once reflashed back to F3 using same procedure was able to flash to F7. Thanks for posting procedures as the Gigabyte instructions for recovering are less than helpful. Gigabyte manual does say have to get rid of all TSR programs - but who can tell what they are nowadays and if was a windows7 issue or Gigabyte. I would warn everyone not to use the @bios windows utility also.

Comment

always flash from within the bios using qflash and a usb memory stick
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Don Cameron View Post
            Thanks Ace,

Just wanted to follow up and let you know I was able to get this resolved (although felt a little like an idiot). After rereading the manual on the Gigabyte motherboard, I realized the GA-Z87-UD5H has a small switch on the MB allowing you to switch to the backup BIOS. After flipping the switch, I was able to come up smoothly on the backup BIOS and the flash back over the corrupted BIOS on the main chip using Alt-f10. After verifying I could boot on both BIOS, I used Qflash to flash the lastest BIOS in with no further problems.... . Honestly, hard to believe that Gigabyte gets away with a crappy app like @bios but the dual BIOS design saved my butt this time!

Thanks,

Don

Hi Don.

After years of successful BIOS flashing on my old system using @BIOS I've just fallen into the same trap as you did and fried my primary BIOS (using latest @BIOS downloaded today).

I have my system up again on the backup BIOS and want to use QFlash to fix things, but I am now very concerned about scrambling my backup BIOS too. You mentioned fixing the main BIOS using 'Alt-F10' and verifying that both BIOS were good to boot before proceeding with your upgrade, and this is exactly what I want to do too. However, I don't seem to have an ALT-F10 option when in QFlash. I have a prepared memory stick with both my current F5 BIOS and the F7 BIOS, but when in QFlash I can't see a way to say 'Flash my main BIOS' rather than just Flash. I'm worried that I'm flashing my backup BIOS without a safety net. Does flashing with QFlash always flash the main BIOS or did you have an option to specify it?

Many Thanks,

Simon
            Last edited by ZeroSeven; 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

OK - I've found a way out.

My problem description was exactly the same as Don Cameron at the to of this thread. This particular problem was that a bad flash using @BIOS had left the main BIOS in good enough shape that the automated backup BIOS recovery feature wouldn't kick in but too bad shape to boot all the way and hence the endless reboot cycles. I managed to find a way to kick start the backup BIOS auto recovery feature of these Gigabyte boards and flash the bad main BIOS with a copy of the good backup BIOS:

1) shut the PC down and switch off at the wall (wait 15 secs for the PSU to go flat)
              2) Clear the CMOS using the clear CMOS button (10 secs)
              3) make sure the BIOS selection switch is in the main BIOS position (1)
              4) switch back on at the wall
              5) hold the power AND the reset buttons down for more than 10 seconds, then release.
              6) hit the power button and the backup BIOS recovery should kick in and copy itself to the main BIOS

Voila!

On my PC at step 5) it powered up and died in about four seconds, but I kept the power and reset buttons down for a good ten.

Happy that I had a working main BIOS and backup BIOS I then used QFlash to upgrade the main BIOS to F7 with no problems.

Thanks for your posts guys.

Simon

Comment

Having the same issue. I've tried everything suggested here as well as benching the mobo and I've contacted Gigabyte support, waiting on their response. It seems as though both my bios are corrupt. When I have the bios switches to 1 - 1 or 2 -1, it appears to attempt to load one bios and shuts off and on, then appears to attempt to load the other bios. I've been unable to find out if there's a solution if both bios are potentially corrupted.

I'll explain the overall build/situation in case that's helpful. Purchased the mobo from Amazon warehouse deals, it's supposed to be an open-box item. Assembled the machine for the first time and attempted to boot, that's when this started to occur. Oddly enough if I switch to position 1 - 2 or 2 - 2, it will just run but never post.

All other parts are brand new
                CPU: i7-4790K LGA 1150 (Tested on another compatible mobo, it posted and booted with no issues)
                RAM: Corsair Ballistix (It's lit Green so as far as I'm aware it's not bad ram)
                Corsair 640W PSU

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Comment

I'm assuming you are using the same board a z87x-ud5h, correct? Firstly, Open box could mean it was returned due to this bios related issue, right? Okay assuming that at least the backup bios is not corrupted, I am guessing you set the bios switch to main( the 1 position) and the SB bios switch to Dual Bios( position 1) tried @ZeroSeven's post method and it failed ? noting step 5, sometimes you do have to keep it depressed just a bit longer.

If nothing is working, and you have no ram compatibility issues , then it could be some static or similar voltage issue with the board(PSU ?) . A suggestion is to leave the setup unplugged, clear cmos, remove battery, let the system sit for a good long while so it completely discharges. Also, have you checked if your keyboard etc is compatible. When some of the z87x boards first came out, revision 1.0, some folks had issues with USB devices attached. I could never come out of sleep successfully when i first got my UD4h, it hung at the bios step shifting between backup bios and main bios. I had to do a hard shutdown and let the system sit for a while before rebooting.
                  i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
                  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
                  Corsair PSU, 1
                  080Ti EVGA
                  960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
                  Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Working...
                  X