No announcement yet.

X79 Intel GBit LAN GBE firmware update HOWTO (...also socket 1155/1150?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X79 Intel GBit LAN GBE firmware update HOWTO (...also socket 1155/1150?)

A big big big THANK to GhostEarth!! He help me to finally flash the GBE to 1.5 and is perfectly work!!

GhostEarth are a ARTISTE!!

Merci encors

Comment

Eeps, sorry for not replying.

Let me emphasize this, this is ONLY for mainboards with Intel 82579V onboard LAN. The BIOS components/regions are INTEL SPECIFIC as they are used the way I describe it, by using FPT.

It MAY also work with the i217V, the newer cousin of 82579V, but the chip will appear as 82579V if you are not getting a newer firmware specifically for the i217V....

Since the i217V is the newer chip, using a 82579V GBe ROM may rather be a DOWNGRADE than an UPGRADE!

Comment

Originally posted by Amurtigress View Post
        Eeps, sorry for not replying.

Let me emphasize this, this is ONLY for mainboards with Intel 82579V onboard LAN. The BIOS components/regions are INTEL SPECIFIC as they are used the way I describe it, by using FPT.

It MAY also work with the i217V, the newer cousin of 82579V, but the chip will appear as 82579V if you are not getting a newer firmware specifically for the i217V....

Since the i217V is the newer chip, using a 82579V GBe ROM may rather be a DOWNGRADE than an UPGRADE!
        I have a x79 UD3 rev 1.0, this is right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mseirco View Post
          I have a x79 UD3 rev 1.0, this is right?
          Not sure what you are asking. You can also reply in german if that's more comfortable... <peeks at 'Switzerland'> My french is lousy though

Comment

Just figured I would share how I did this on my Z87X-UD4H

I followed essentially the same instructions except I was fiddling with FPT and found that you can backup the GBE region.

---------------
            1. Make bootable dos flash drive with FPT for z87 on it (do no overwrite files if it asks you to)

2.boot into the drive and the command to backup your GBE region is

fpt -gbe -d *filename*

I recommend GBEREG.bin
            -----------------

then you can just use that to overwrite your GBE region in the bios file on a z87 board. Updating the GBE region would be different of course, but if you just want to keep it while using a modded bios flashed with FPT thats what I did.

I also noticed there might be an option to write the GBE region directly in FPT? idk i could be wrong but i thought i saw something.</filename>
            Last edited by Echoa; 06-10-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I just want to add my thanks for this guide, great work! Saved me hours of work, thanks again.

Fixed my stupid X79 UP4, long ago I forced in a modified bios to get it to work and then I realized that I set my MAC to that silly number. All fixed now

Comment

Originally posted by gbis View Post
                Hi all,
                If i input another MAC address than the original, do i risk bricking the mobo, what will happen?
                I want to write the address from another PCI-e Intel card of mine.
                Thanks.
                Nothing happens, it will work. Almost as if you change the MAC in the driver properties.

The only scenario where it would cause trouble is if you are using two identical MACs in the same network will potentially sabotage your network.

For example you are flashing two Gigabyte boards the hard way and wind up with two Intel NICs on 88-88-88-88-87-88 (or any other MAC) for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Echoa View Post
                  Just figured I would share how I did this on my Z87X-UD4H
                  I also noticed there might be an option to write the GBE region directly in FPT? idk i could be wrong but i thought i saw something.</filename>
                  Well I had trouble with the GBe specific commands, see my initial post:

(Quote:)

-- Intel's FPT flashtool overwrites the ME region with the -me parameter, however not the GBe region using fpt -gbe -f . fpt -i still states that there is no write protection active.

That part had me quite confused. But hey, it works now, right? ^.^

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Do we have to do this every time we update the BIOS? I always use the latest modified BIOS, but MEI always shows Gbe as v1.3. :c/

Comment

Originally posted by ZzBloopzZ View Post
                      Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Do we have to do this every time we update the BIOS? I always use the latest modified BIOS, but MEI always shows Gbe as v1.3. :c/
                      If you upgrade The Gbe Lan Firmware from 1.3 to 1.5 using fpt DOS command, the next time you flash your Bios with Q-Flash or Gigabyte @Bios, the firmware will not change, however if you flash a new bios with fpt DOS command Gbe will remain to 1.3, so the best way is to use one time the fpt DOS command and after always the Q-flash or @bios.

Ghostearth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostearth View Post
                        If you upgrade The Gbe Lan Firmware from 1.3 to 1.5 using fpt DOS command, the next time you flash your Bios with Q-Flash or Gigabyte @Bios, the firmware will not change, however if you flash a new bios with fpt DOS command Gbe will remain to 1.3, so the best way is to use one time the fpt DOS command and after always the Q-flash or @bios.

Ghostearth.

Yes Ghostearth help me to flash the Gbe. The problem is we never have a new bios update for now nearly 1 year..!

Comment

I have successfully updated Intel Gbe to v1.5. Thank you Amurtigress!!!

I have re-wrote Amurtigress's step-by-step instructions to be more clear. Also, I noticed the tools in his GBE15modkit_win64_x79.zip file were outdated. I have updated them below. Basically, it is the latest version of FTK8 (v8 is for Intel 6 - 7 series chipsets) with the necessary Intel GBe LAN v1.5 firmware file (gbe15.bin). It also includes the latest Intel FWUpdate Tool for ME8 Firmware v8.1.40.1456 from the win-raid forums.

Needed Files:

1. Updated Intel Flash Toolkit and the gbe15.bin file - GBE15ModKit_DOS_x79.zip
                          2. HxD Hex Editor from HERE.
                          3. Your desired BIOS file:

GIGABYTE Modified Bios
                          GIGABYTE Latest Beta BIOS

Instructions:

1) Extract GBE15ModKit_DOS_x79.zip.

2) Start HxD and load your BIOS into it, and then load the GBE15.bin from GBE15ModKit_DOS_x79 into another tab.

3) The MAC address of the onboard Intel LAN can be obtained by running ipconfig /all in Command Prompt. Look for the 6 bytes MAC of the 82579V network connection, looks something like 50-AB-13-44-FF-01. Also you might find it on a sticker on your mainboard if it has gotten lost somehow.

4) Find the location of the start offset of the GBe firmware within the original BIOS. Currently it is located at 1000h and the MAC address is located at the very beginning of the GBe15.bin ROM at offset 0h-5h. You will find "88 88 88 88 87 88" there. This might be different in other BIOS’s. To find the location you can always search for “88 88 88 88 87 88” with Datatype set to Hex-values.

5) Copy the entire contents of the second tab (GBE15.bin 0h-1FFFh) over to the GBe region in the first tab from offset 1000h-2FFFh (Or the respective different offset for your particular BIOS) using Paste-Write (CTRL-B) in HxD.

6) Return to 1000h (Or your BIOS GBe offset if different) and enter your MAC address from 1000h-1005h.

7) Save the yourbios.bin file and copy it into the GBE15ModKit_DOS_x79 directory.

ATTENTION: Only perform the following steps on the SECONDARY bios (BLUE on boards with a BIOS switch!) to reduce risk. However, this is not possible for all motherboards such as on the X79-UD3.

8) Create a FAT32 MS-DOS bootable flash drive with Rufus. Copy contents of the GBE15ModKit_DOS_x79 directory onto root of the flash drive. Then boot up from the flash drive. (Much safer to update via DOS, compared to within Windows.)

9) Backup your current BIOS by running “backup.bat”

10) Flash your BIOS using "fpt -bios -f yourbios.bin”

11) Set BIOS to defaults, save and exit, shut down computer and unplug power for 10 seconds.

12) Enter BIOS and re-configure settings.

13) Boot into Windows. MEI driver may stop working until you reboot computer one more time.

Additional Notes:

- If you already have Intel Gbe v1.5, then there is no need to do flash again with the updated FTK package.
                          - You only need to do this once. Going forward, when you update to newer BIOS versions you can just use QFlash (recommended method) or @BIOS. Since these tools do not modify the the Intel Gbe ROM region in the BIOS.
                          - I suggest uninstalling the Intel 82579V driver before flashing. I did not, and now my device manager shows "Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection #2". It has nothing to do with functionality. Just how Windows works, it thinks that a new network device was installed and thus adds the #2 at the end.
                          - I tried this method on my Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, but it did not work. I had to use another method which I will post in the Asus forum.

Once again, thank you SO much Amurtigress!!!
                          Last edited by ZzBloopzZ; 03-01-2015, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X