No announcement yet.

X79 Intel GBit LAN GBE firmware update HOWTO (...also socket 1155/1150?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X79 Intel GBit LAN GBE firmware update HOWTO (...also socket 1155/1150?)

Ah, I'm glad it worked. I ahd hoped that there would be the need for this, since people began messing with the ME upgrades....which led to the loss of the MAC and the hint on me having apparently overwritten the entire flash rom, and wondering how I did. ^.^

Comment

I have never used a Hex editor before as far as I can recall let alone on my bios but I followed your instructions for my GA-X79-UD3 and I have my MAC address back. I was sure it was going to go horribly wrong and I was about to brick my motherboard. The only part I hesitated over was not fully understanding whether I was just adding your section to my original bios or replacing that section. I feel exhilarated. I just wish the wife and children were willing to share in my joy - they just don't appreciate all I do for them.

Thank you again.

Comment

Zind: Welkies! Actually all you need to do is taking a copy of your BIOS file and change the 88... section at 1000h-1005h to your original MAC and flash it with the Intel tool.

The firmware as such does not need to be updated if you only want to restore the MAC.

Congrats tho on fixing your board. Bricking ist isn't all that likely tho as long as you don't totally mess up. And you are basically replacing the firmware without shifting the rest of the BIOS around. Since I have no idea if those BIOS modules are having hardcoded jump adresses or not...prolly not but you never know. Besides ADDING would push the size of the BIOS beyond 8 MB and thus beyond the size of the flash rom.

Last edited by Amurtigress; 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Looks like everyone's had good success with this.

The latest BIOS for my board had the MAC and GbE listed at 1000 and 2000, so I copied it to both places and it works like charm.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for the tutorial. I was totally new to a hex editor and somewhat afraid I'd do something wrong.
            Still, everything went smooth and I'm on 1.5 now, too. I flashed on my Z77X-UD5H.

Comment

MacG32, Andi:

Cool to hear. Hex editors can be scary, it was to me too when I found this procedure. But mostly only because this particular one isn't very clear about pasting/inserting/overwriting. Also messing with a BIOS directly without a piece of software that keeps you from doing stupid sh... is a bit unsettling on top.

Andi: In 5 Minuten lötet sich deine Southbridge aus. Muhahaha. Scherz...

Comment

hi, i try all time to do this but is imposible dude, i dont read perfect english for that i think, dont finish good, is posible to upload any video to youtube channel?, i this is i see the video maybe finish this fast, thx for all.

Comment

hi, now i mod my gbe thx for all.

Comment

Karateca,

What are you asking? See first page of this thread, the entire HOWTO is there. Nothing else that I can say about it. I cannot help you with your lingual problems...

Comment

Don't understand why when I launch MEInfo it doesn't display my Gbe version and says me region doesn't exist. Any solution ? I'm on Z77-D3H with modded bios.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sans titre.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	754128

Comment

tt
                        Last edited by AucJ; 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

No answer ?

Comment

Originally posted by TheInfamousMobb View Post
                            No answer ?
                            Very simple.....your Z77-D3H do NOT have Intel GbE LAN........(Atheros GbE LAN)......

Comment

Ahah ok ty stasio

Comment

Hi all,
                                If i input another MAC address than the original, do i risk bricking the mobo, what will happen?
                                I want to write the address from another PCI-e Intel card of mine.
                                Thanks.
                                Last edited by gbis; 03-24-2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X