No announcement yet.

GA-Z77X-UD5H odd behaviour when connecting Dell U3014 integrated USB3 hub/card reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z77X-UD5H odd behaviour when connecting Dell U3014 integrated USB3 hub/card reader

Hi beautiful people:

I have recently purchased a Dell U3014 monitor and I'm experiencing some bizarre behaviour.

The very moment I plug the USB3 cable to any USB3 port the unit powers on. If I try soft-off the unit shuts down then in a couple of seconds powers on again. The only way to shut the unit down is cut the power during those couple of seconds (via the switch on the PSU). If after this I switch the PSU on again most of the time the unit stays off.

This happens both in the "fixed" USB3 ports or on the ones on the MB headers (via appropriate bracket).

I have tried two monitors, five different USB3 cables (different as in different lengths and makes, not just five iterations of the same model) with the same outcome.

This however does not happen when I connect my 7 port USB3 hub (which I was hoping to retire).

I have also changed the xHCI mode on BIOS from "Smart Auto" to "Auto" but it has not made any difference.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this behaviour? (besides "don't plug the monitor's USB hub" that is )

BIOS version is F15r.

Thanks for reading :)

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H odd behaviour when connecting Dell U3014 integrated USB3 hub/card reader

Does the monitor have a driver or other software you should load? Check the information page for you monitor on Dell's website.

Comment

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H odd behaviour when connecting Dell U3014 integrated USB3 hub/card reader

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Does the monitor have a driver or other software you should load? Check the information page for you monitor on Dell's website.
      Hi parsec, thank you for the reply.

The monitor has no required drivers or software (apart from the usual .inf file that "describes" the monitor's capabilities to the OS).

There is an optional software that Dell labels "Display Manager" which lets you control and automate certain image quality/post-processing settings, but it has nothing to do with the USB hub.

I have made some progress thanks to the guys @ station-drivers though. I have now updated the integrated VIA USB 3.0 hubs on the motherboard to firmware version 9.70 (beta) and 90% of the time the computer shuts down and stays that way.

There is still that 10% of the time that it doesn't and also the niggle that you can't use the keyboard pre-OS (to enter BIOS or RAID BIOS) while the hub in the monitor is plugged in, but is certainly progress :)

The USB hub in the monitor is USB\VID_0451&PID_8041&REV_0100 which would suggest Texas Instruments, but I can't find much in terms of specific drivers or firmware "out there".

Comment

Originally posted by MrT0ad View Post
        Hi parsec, thank you for the reply.

I have made some progress thanks to the guys @ station-drivers though. I have now updated the integrated VIA USB 3.0 hubs on the motherboard to firmware version 9.70 (beta) and 90% of the time the computer shuts down and stays that way.

@MrT0ad

Thanks for the tip! My display is DELL U2413 & having the problem as you. I just want to fix this issue!!

Found the 0.97b firmware at station-driver and tried to install.
        But double click the SETUP.EXE, no success with "cannot find the supported hardware" message.
        (sorry i'm in Japanese system and don't know what the exact message in English)

I have already updated the FM to 0.96. But i may have to go to 0.97.
        Could you tell me the way to install that?

Cheers,
        Last edited by kantok; 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kantok View Post
          @MrT0ad

Thanks for the tip! My display is DELL U2413 & having the problem as you. I just want to fix this issue!!

Found the 0.97b firmware at station-driver and tried to install.
          But double click the SETUP.EXE, no success with "cannot find the supported hardware" message.
          (sorry i'm in Japanese system and don't know what the exact message in English)

I have already updated the FM to 0.96. But i may have to go to 0.97.
          Could you tell me the way to install that?

Cheers,
          The process is not as straightforward with the 9.70 firmware.

First you need to download and install the 0.96 version of the VL810 firmware updater. Then although I am not sure whether you need to up flash the 0.96 firmware first or not I did anyway just in case.

If you do flash the 0.96 firmware remember to shut down and then remove power to the PC (with this I mean unplug from the mains and drain the PSU) before following to the next step(s).

After that you have to download the V0.983 firmware under the VL811. This file actually contains all the firmwares. Open it and you will find, in the ".\x64\Binfile" (or ".\x86\Binfile", a hex comparison showed no differences between firmware files, I believe whether you are using x86 or x64 only matters to the flasher) folder a file called "vl810_0970_beta.bin".

Copy that file to the location where the bin files for the flasher reside (for me it was "C:\Program Files (x86)\USB3 Hub FW Upgrade Tool\Bin") and delete the existing one (the 960 firmware file).

Once you've done this fire up the flasher again and repeat the process (flash firmware, shut down, remove power, wait 30 secs, power on again) and you should be good to go.

Said this the firmware update does not do away with the problem. It just makes it happen less often.

Another side effect I have noticed is that while the USB hub in the monitor is plugged in the keyboard is not operative until the OS loads, therefore I can't access the BIOS or the RAID setup OpROM.

To be fair the USB support on this board is a bit flaky. I have a ESXi server on another GA-Z77X-UD5H and the USB keyb/trackpad combo stops working every time I reboot the PC. I need to unplug it and plug it again for it to work. This happens in both the "blue" and the "red" USB connectors.

Comment

The process is not as straightforward with the 9.70 firmware.

First you need to download and install the 0.96 version of the VL810 firmware updater. Then although I am not sure whether you need to up flash the 0.96 firmware first or not I did anyway just in case.

If you do flash the 0.96 firmware remember to shut down and then remove power to the PC (with this I mean unplug from the mains and drain the PSU) before following to the next step(s).

After that you have to download the V0.983 firmware under the VL811. This file actually contains all the firmwares. Open it and you will find, in the ".\x64\Binfile" (or ".\x86\Binfile", a hex comparison showed no differences between firmware files, I believe whether you are using x86 or x64 only matters to the flasher) folder a file called "vl810_0970_beta.bin".

Copy that file to the location where the bin files for the flasher reside (for me it was "C:\Program Files (x86)\USB3 Hub FW Upgrade Tool\Bin") and delete the existing one (the 960 firmware file).

Once you've done this fire up the flasher again and repeat the process (flash firmware, shut down, remove power, wait 30 secs, power on again) and you should be good to go.

Said this the firmware update does not do away with the problem. It just makes it happen less often.

Another side effect I have noticed is that while the USB hub in the monitor is plugged in the keyboard is not operative until the OS loads, therefore I can't access the BIOS or the RAID setup OpROM.

To be fair the USB support on this board is a bit flaky. I have a ESXi server on another GA-Z77X-UD5H and the USB keyb/trackpad combo stops working every time I reboot the PC. I need to unplug it and plug it again for it to work. This happens in both the "blue" and the "red" USB connectors.

Thanks for the very quick answer!
            Yeah, I'm not sure because of lack of experience but for me, the Z77x-ud5h's internal usb "hub" is not reliable.
            It's weird not many people claim about this. And usual answers are "change ports". It's odd. Justa quick care but not the solution!

Anyway, I've tried what you teach me. But could I have a question about this?

I've downloaded "Usb3HubFWUpgrade_Setup_V1.1_VL811_0983.zip"
            Extracted the exe, I can see only "vl811b3_0983_u1u2_dis.bin" in both \x64\Binfile and \x86\BinFile.

This is the one you mentioned right? --http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/Notice_VL811_0983.jsp

Cheers,

Comment

Thanks for the very quick answer!
              Yeah, I'm not sure because of lack of experience but for me, the Z77x-ud5h's internal usb "hub" is not reliable.
              It's weird not many people claim about this. And usual answers are "change ports". It's odd. Justa quick care but not the solution!

Anyway, I've tried what you teach me. But could I have a question about this?

I've downloaded "Usb3HubFWUpgrade_Setup_V1.1_VL811_0983.zip"
              Extracted the exe, I can see only "vl811b3_0983_u1u2_dis.bin" in both \x64\Binfile and \x86\BinFile.

This is the one you mentioned right? --http://www.via-labs.com/en/support/Notice_VL811_0983.jsp

Cheers,
              Dammit! So sorry, I've given you the wrong file... is actually "via_vl-8xx_firmwares(www.station-drivers.com).exe", click on "Version V8571" under "VL812".

The VIA hubs on the GA-Z77X-UD5H are VL810, hence the "vl810_0970_beta.bin" being the firmware you need.

EDIT (to summarise) you need:

1) "Usb3HubFWUpgrade_Setup_V0.41_VL810_0960.zip" -> Link labelled "Version 0.96" under "VL810". This will install the flashing utility and will contain the firmware 0.96.
              2) "via_vl-8xx_firmwares(www.station-drivers.com).exe" -> Link labelled "Version V8571" under "VL812". You can get the file "vl810_0970_beta.bin" from it.

Again my apologies, I fail at explaining big time...

I just hope that USB 3 support on Haswell boards is... hmmmm... more consistent ;)
              Last edited by MrT0ad; 04-30-2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

It's not some silly link with the monitor being on is it? if the monitor is off does it do the same thing?

I wonder if in the bios you check the power on options and see if there is an option that allows power-up via USB Mouse/Keyboard, monitor may be sending that command.

just a thought.

Vin
                Main Rig
                OS = Win10-64Bit
                CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                MB = Asus ROG C6H
                GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                Mem = 24GB RAM
                MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                PSU = Corsair TX750
                Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
                  It's not some silly link with the monitor being on is it? if the monitor is off does it do the same thing?

I wonder if in the bios you check the power on options and see if there is an option that allows power-up via USB Mouse/Keyboard, monitor may be sending that command.

just a thought.

Vin
                  I have searched for such option in the BIOS and also tried to change the USB settings but it hasn't made much of a difference.

Besides there are other side effects. Apart from the one mentioned (can't used the keyboard until OS loads) the OS detects random USB devices (the 7 port USB3 hub I was hoping to retire is detected as both as USB3 and a USB2 hub and only some of the ports work as USB3 where others are stuck in USB2, the USB connection to the UPS intermittently drops...)

Summarising, the board is just generally unhappy when I plug it in. For now I have to give up and keep it unplugged. It would have been nice and practical if it worked, but the fact is it does not.

Comment

MrT0ad,

I appreciate your kindness! I could successfully update the FM.
                    But as you said, it's not fully solved the
                    problem though....

Vinster,

I can't find power option in the BIOS. But I agree the power (management?) may something to do with our
                    problem.
                    At the start of this board, i found i could not use 1.5m long usb cable.

I don't see it's focusing on the point, I got messages in the boot log on Mac OSX.

USBF: 1.355 AppleUSBHub[0xffffff80260b8800]::ConfigureHub(hub @ 0x14c20000) SetFeature(kUSBFeatureDeviceRemoteWakeup) failed. Error 0xe000404f
                    USBF: 1.555 AppleUSBHub[0xffffff80260cd800]::ConfigureHub(hub @ 0x14c23000) SetFeature(kUSBFeatureDeviceRemoteWakeup) failed. Error 0xe000404f

Comment

MrT0ad,

I appreciate your kindness! I could successfully update the FM.
                      But as you said, it's not fully solved the
                      problem though....

Vinster,

I can't find power option in the BIOS. But I agree the power (management?) may something to do with our
                      problem.
                      At the start of this board, i found i could not use 1.5m long usb cable.

I don't see it's focusing on the point, I got messages in the boot log on Mac OSX.

USBF: 1.355 AppleUSBHub[0xffffff80260b8800]::ConfigureHub(hub @ 0x14c20000) SetFeature(kUSBFeatureDeviceRemoteWakeup) failed. Error 0xe000404f
                      USBF: 1.555 AppleUSBHub[0xffffff80260cd800]::ConfigureHub(hub @ 0x14c23000) SetFeature(kUSBFeatureDeviceRemoteWakeup) failed. Error 0xe000404f
                      I've read somewhere that if you want to use this board for a Hackintosh you need to change the xHCI setting in BIOS from "Smart Auto" (default) to "Auto"

Comment

Little update on this...

Purchased a NEC/Renesas uPD720201 based PCIe card, connected the monitor, everything seemed fine except the issue with the keyboard (if I connected it to the red USB connectors the keyboard would not be enabled until the OS had loaded).

Changed the xHCI setting in BIOS from "Smart Auto" to "Auto" and this problem went away.

All problems solved now. Hopefully the USB 3.0 implementation in Haswell boards will be a bit less... hmmmm... quirky :D

Comment

Dammit! So sorry, I've given you the wrong file... is actually "via_vl-8xx_firmwares(www.station-drivers.com).exe", click on "Version V8571" under "VL812".

The VIA hubs on the GA-Z77X-UD5H are VL810, hence the "vl810_0970_beta.bin" being the firmware you need.

EDIT (to summarise) you need:

1) "Usb3HubFWUpgrade_Setup_V0.41_VL810_0960.zip" -> Link labelled "Version 0.96" under "VL810". This will install the flashing utility and will contain the firmware 0.96.
                          2) "via_vl-8xx_firmwares(www.station-drivers.com).exe" -> Link labelled "Version V8571" under "VL812". You can get the file "vl810_0970_beta.bin" from it.

Again my apologies, I fail at explaining big time...

I just hope that USB 3 support on Haswell boards is... hmmmm... more consistent ;)
                          Hi MrT0ad, I saw your post mentioned that there is a 0.97beta firmware. As per your advise, I went to station-drivers.com but now the v8571 of VL812 was gone. Can you share the "vl810_0970_beta.bin" with me?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                          X