GA-Z77X-UD5H will not post getting error code 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z77X-UD5H will not post getting error code 8

When I booted the first time everything went smooth sailing and I was installing a fresh copy of windows 7 when my hard drive gave an error. So I rebooted to see if a reset would fix it it did not. The computer wouldn't turn back on and its been in this state ever since. I am getting error code 8 when I try and boot my pc. The cpu fan spins for a few seconds and then the power to the machine cuts out. It then automatically powers back on and tries to boot again. This whole time error code 8 is displayed on the debug led. I have taken the MB out of the case and placed it on a card board box. Currently I only have one stick of ram, power supply, monitor, and keyboard hooked up. I have reset the CMOS by pressing the button as well as taking out the battery with power disconnected for over a minute. I am going insane and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I have also doubled checked to make sure the cpu/heatsink was seated properly it appears so. I know the power supply is good as I have tested it on my other gaming rig. Any other ideas?

Error Code 08 - North Bridge initialization after microcode loading

MB: GA-Z77X-UD5H
    CPU: CORE I5 3570K 3.4G
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80
    Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH (Ram from my old gaming cpu which was a tri channel i7
    Video Card: Using MB stock for now just trying to turn it on

Re: GA-Z77X-UD5H will not post getting error code 8

Remove two of the memory modules and try booting with a single kit after you clear your CMOS.
    Check your mobo user manual to make sure that you use the correct memory slot.
    You will have a much easier time if you buy a single kit of 2 x 4GB or 4 x 4GB memory and use your old tri-channel memory kit as a high tech paper weight. Obviously you can sell your old memory to help offset the cost of your new memory.

You can select memory from the Gigabyte memory QVL list for your motherboard or buy a kit that the memory manufacturer has tested with your motherboard.
    Non listed memory kits might work out OK, but they might require more effort to ensure that your system is stable.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

thanks jim

i did both and still no luck

Comment

O.K., fine....step #2:
        How old is your power supply?
        Can you borrow another psu to test with?
        Can you borrow one or two memory modules to test with?

You might need to unplug your psu power cable from the wall or the back of the psu, jumper the CLR_CMOS pins and remove the CMOS battery for 20 minutes (or much longer) to fully clear the CMOS.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Did you try the back bios too ? Take out all memsticks, boot with out memory and the turn off (won't boot with mem obviously). Then put only 1 memstick to mem slot 1 and see if it reseted the mem config.
          Switch to back up bios and clear CMOS.

As above (profJim) try to borrow know working memstick and if it boots update newer BiOS.

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
            O.K., fine....step #2:
            How old is your power supply?
            Can you borrow another psu to test with?
            Can you borrow one or two memory modules to test with?

You might need to unplug your psu power cable from the wall or the back of the psu, jumper the CLR_CMOS pins and remove the CMOS battery for 20 minutes (or much longer) to fully clear the CMOS.
            Power Supply is brand new and working as I've tested it with other gaming rig.
            I borrowed a memory module still getting same code 8.

I will try the jumper the cmos and remove the battery for 20 mins. I will update after I find out what happens. Thanks again for your time and efforts.
            I switched to backup bios and am still getting the same error.
            Last edited by spliton; 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM. Reason: found backup bios switch

Comment

Originally posted by spliton View Post
              Power Supply is brand new and working as I've tested it with other gaming rig.
              I borrowed a memory module still getting same code 8.

I will try the jumper the cmos and remove the battery for 20 mins. I will update after I find out what happens. Thanks again for your time and efforts.

How do I switch to back up bios? I don't see a switch for it.
              It's between the SATA3 port and BUTTON/LEDS connector if I remember correctly.

Comment

thanks hms now i am just waiting 20 mins on the battery

Comment

Did both no luck

Comment

Did you try to boot it without memory ? It does that "The cpu fan spins for a few seconds and then the power to the machine cuts out. It then automatically powers back on and tries to boot again" if there's error. Do you get the memory missing beep code ? After that put back one stick (diffrent that you tried before) in slot 3 (diffrent you tried before) , Best would be testing with known working stick.

AND DON'T INSTALL mouse, keyboards, HDDs etc. just CPU (+heatsink) and mem, and display on the mb vga connector.
                    Last edited by hms; 02-22-2013, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I did try without any mem got the exact same code and situation no beeps just same thing

Comment

Anyone knows if there's reset codes on Gigabyte , like there was nforce2 chipsets ? Try keeping button(try diffrent buttons) pressed while turning power on (the main swith on psu or via plug)).
                        F11
                        DEL
                        ESC
                        F2
                        F12
                        insert
                        home

etc. maybe google about subjet

Also always when it hangs , turn power off via mains, do this 3 - 5 times on a row it should cause reset to default values for bios.

Comment

The problem is its not even hanging. It just spins for 20 seconds or so and then shutsoff it then will repeat the same process all over again. Here is a video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sE6JDkzgmc
                          Last edited by spliton; 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spliton View Post
                            The problem is its not even hanging. It just spins for 20 seconds or so and then shutsoff it then will repeat the same process all over again. Here is a video of it Pc wont boot - YouTube
                            I think your better off rma'ing the board back to gigabyte,could be a motherboard fault

esp since you've tried cmos clear ect I cant think what else you can try
                            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

thank you to everyone with your suggestions and help i really appreciate it. I think an rma is in my near future

Comment

Working...
                              X