Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my new radeon 7750

Hi everyone,

I just bought a gigabyte radeon HD 7750 from newegg and it arrived 2 days ago (monday). I installed the card to replace my nvidia 7600 GS and everything worked great. Yesterday while I was playing world of warcraft my screen suddenly turned black and my keyboard and mouse are not responding. I hard booted the computer, nothing happened, black screen, no video signal, hard drive didn't even boot. I tried booting again 2 more times and still nothing. I then proceeded to unplugged the new radeon card and plugged it back in and the computer started again perfectly. Long story short, this happened 2 more times yesterday.

This morning the same thing happened only this time I could not started the computer at all with the radeon card installed. As I'm writing this post I had to install my old nvidia 7600GS card.

This is my system spec:

Dell studio 540
    Q8200 Intel Core2 Quad 2.3 GHz
    6 GB DDR2 RAM
    Generic 350W PSU

I just contacted newegg to get a replacement card but now I'm wondering if my motherboard is incompatible with this card. Has anyone here with an older motherboard have the same kind of problem? Also I think I only have a PCIe 2.0 slot instead of 3.0 (does this make any sense?) but I asked a couple of people and they said this should not be a problem. Is this true?

Any reply/advice on this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Problem with my new radeon 7750

I see on GB site PSU need to be 400W so that may be a concern.
    Could be compatibiliy issue, but only new boards with 22nm CPUs support PCIe 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      I see on GB site PSU need to be 400W so that may be a concern.
      Could be compatibiliy issue, but only new boards with 22nm CPUs support PCIe 2.0.
      If PSU was the problem shouldn't it wouldn't boot at all when the first time I started it? I also checked with a few of my friends who is more knowledgable on this technical stuff and they said my PSU should be fine because the power requirement for this card is so low. Should I get a new PSU too when the replacement card arrives?

Comment

If you are waiting for the replacement don't rush to get better PSU unless you can borrow one just in case the replacement doesn't work also.

Comment

I thought video card used to have a AMP raiting? I know power supplys say how much amps they put out on each rail but I thought video card required so may amps for single use or for crossfire or SLI.

Yes AMD says 500w - 600 wats or better. They do not mention how many amps the psu needs to supply.
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
          Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
          Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
          Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
          Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block
          Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
          Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
            I thought video card used to have a AMP raiting? I know power supplys say how much amps they put out on each rail but I thought video card required so may amps for single use or for crossfire or SLI.

Yes AMD says 500w - 600 wats or better. They do not mention how many amps the psu needs to supply.
            500 or 600W for the radeon 7750?? I was recommended this card because one of the selling point is that you don't need a high capacity power supply to run this. Is this true? If it is I'm just going to try and get a refund on this instead of a replacement.

Comment

AMD RadeonGIGABYTE - Graphics Card - ATI - PCI Express Solution - Radeon HD 7000 series - GV-R775OC-1GI

Gigabyte says if this is your correct card. 400w.
              Last edited by Acebmxer; 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM.
              Main Rig
              Gigabyte z87x-OC
              Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
              G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
              Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
              Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
              HiS ATI HD 6950
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
              Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
              Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
              Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
              CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
              Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
              EK Supremacy Cpu Block
              Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
              Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Also keep in mind Dell uses proprietary power supplies, that only work on their systems due to the pinouts, so you will need to buy a Dell PSU if you do intend to upgrade the PSU.

500W PSU is suggested for this card, directly from the AMD Site, as linked above, so you may need a larger PSU.

I'd go ahead and try out the new card first before you decide to look into Dell power supplies (Ebay, or Dell direct)

Also be sure you are using the latest BIOS, you can download that here, to check your current version look in Mainboard tab of CPU-z
                Drivers and Downloads | Dell [United States]
                CPU-Z for Windows® x86/x64 is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system : Processor name and number, codename, process, package, cache levels. Mainboard and chipset. Memory type, size, timings, and module specifications (SPD). Real time measurement of each core's internal frequency, memory frequency. CPU-Z is fully supported on Windows® 11. The CPU-Z‘s detection engine is now available for customized use through the CPUID System Information Development Kit, a professional SDK built for the Microsoft Windows & Android.

Comment

Im no expert, but I might be able to offer some advice..

first off I believe the newer Dells are slightly more friendly to some upgrades like PSU (but you must consider the actual dimensions of the PSU itself)

imo I sorta agree that its possible for a known brand to under-rate the power of a PSU, But a few things to consider is 1) time/age of PSU (they lose power capabilitys over time 2) heat can effect performance (read rated power output 3) the PSU must be able to provide the proper juice amt on the specific connection ie. some cards may need 30 amps at startup, but some PSU's may only provide 25

The most important consideration is size (size both wideth & length of PSU) and amps

Im guessing a figure like 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 5.5"(L) but please dont hold me to it period (depends on specific case I believe OR think you cant go slightly longer (gets more fun to install) if your case size is what I suspect maybe go 5.9" x 3.4" x 6.3"

imo Id just add some Watts to what you care to account for ie. Manuf says 400 (add 50) plan to run/use PSU for a few yrs (add another 50)

So maybe something like: Newegg.com - PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Here's the forum to post in help determing the size limits if unable to read what current PSU is and try to judge limitations XPS 430 - 375 Watt PSU - What is the highest spec video card available for this PSU? - Desktop Video Forum - Desktop - Dell Community or try Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisatDell Chris knows or knows who to speak w/

PCI Express is designed to be backwards compatible (I dont believe its an issue)

p.s. I would consider posting back w more info, if you would like help choosing a specific PSU. Im personally not going to recommend thoroughly cleaning your computer (dust adds heat) mainly because I suspect your at the limit of the PSU (increased wear n tear) Summer is commin & shutdowns cant be good!
                  Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
                  NZXT Hale90 (850)
                  Intel Core i7 (920)
                  GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
                  CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
                  EVGA GTX 560 Ti

CORSAIR Performance Pro (128 GB)
                  WD Caviar Black (1TB Raid 0)

Windows 7 (SP1)

Comment

A web search using: dell compatible power supply will help you locate a more powerful psu for your system.
                    As previously stated, you will need to ensure that a new power supply will physically fit in your system.
                    A quick Newegg search in their power supply supply section only found 3 power supplies and all were 400 watts or less.

One option that might work is Dell Upgrade Power Supplies from PC Power & Cooling.
                    Download the http://www.pcpower.com/downloads/S50D_3858.pdf mechanical diagram for the physical dimensions.

If you buy a new psu from Dell, the purchase price will probably be much higher than a quality aftermarket unit, possibly twice the price or higher.
                    Don't buy a refurbished power supply, as the warranty period will be much lower than the standard 5 year warranty.
                    A good quality power supply will probably cost at least $75 - $100.
                    Don't be tempted by lower cost generic power supplies.
                    Using a cheap power supply is asking for trouble.
                    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

A few last notes!

I did find that there is at least two versions 540 & 540s (Id suggest keeping the s stock, if its an actual 540s)because: current card req @ 18 amp, and if you did get a slim design psu, cooling would be a little more questionable (im guessing more chance of deadspots, w any added change from negative case pressure)

Im somewhat certain that if its a "540", quite a few PSU's should work/fit.

btw Im all for gold/plat PSU's, but it may be a good idea to just try to keep the PSU power @ double expected load/pwr draw (operating efficiency). Id like to think a solid bronze PSU, may provide similiar cooling to the stock unit. Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX550M 550W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Semi Modular High Performance Power Supply this is a slightly longer PSU, and while it offers some flexibility in attaching wires (they might be a tad long)

added notes: latest drivers ATI Catalyst heres a nice fan to consider if you plan to add additional intake and exhaust opening's Newegg.com - GELID Solutions WING 14 UV Blue FN-FW14B-12 140mm Case Fan (Id filter the intake and run it slightly slower thn the exhaust)

/Edit
                      p.s. If by chance a friend has a different case to offer, I wouldnt waste time trying to get the reset sw to work (its most likely proprietary plug) I do not have much more info to provide, and since I already suggested returning if its a 540s case (not to mention Im no guru) I wont be posting @ issue!
                      /End Edit

Good Luck! It appears quite a bit of good info posted!
                      Last edited by Zipperbag; 03-29-2012, 12:48 AM. Reason: potential non conformance issues
                      Gaming Rig

NZXT Phantom
                      NZXT Hale90 (850)
                      Intel Core i7 (920)
                      GIGABYTE G1 Guerrilla
                      CORSAIR Vengeance (6 GB)
                      EVGA GTX 560 Ti

CORSAIR Performance Pro (128 GB)
                      WD Caviar Black (1TB Raid 0)

Windows 7 (SP1)

Comment

Ethan, can you confirm if this is a "Normal" ATX power supply connection type, I mean the 4/8 pin and 24 pin, or is it "Dell" type? It may look very similar, you'll need to compare the cable placements in the slot with another PSU, and check to see if another PSU 24 pin cable will even plug into the board.

Just to be 100% sure before you look at other non-dell PSU's, I'd hate to see you buy a brand new good PSU and then it not even plug into your board!

Comment

Hey guys, did anyone ever figure this out?

I'm having the same problem, but I know it isn't the power supply. It's definitely driver-related. When I uninstall the driver, the computer works perfectly fine. Sent an email to HIS tech support asking for help. Any suggestions?

Comment

i had msi 7750 and 250w psu,so its not problem,the card use 55 wats ( Radeon HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 PC Gaming Graphics Card Hardware For Game System Requirements ) its problem in adapet or cable that is connecting gpu and monitor

Comment

Working...
                            X