GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 AC Back Function (Power Restore) doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 AC Back Function (Power Restore) doesn't work

I have a EP45-UD3P in a rack mount chassis that is in a pretty inaccessible location. I have a networked power switch that allows me to remotely switch power on and off to the PSU, but I have not been able to get the AC Restore feature working correctly with this particular board.

The feature in question is under the power management section of the BIOS and is called AC Back Function. The 3 options are as follows:
    • Soft-Off

• Full-On

• Memory

When set to Full-On, the computer should boot up as soon as it AC current is applied. Memory should have it start up only if the computer was booted up when AC current was last removed from the computer. Neither Memory nor Full-On work correctly. Whenever I remove power, whether that be from the remote power switch or simply pulling the plug, the computer does not boot up when power is re-applied. I've never had a problem with this feature on other computers, so I'm a little stumped. I've tried flashing F9, F10, and F11d (beta from this forum), but the result is always the same.

Anyone have any ideas or a EP45-UD3P that they could try this feature on?

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.0 AC Back Function (Power Restore) doesn't work

I have never used this feature, and always assumed it was meant for during a power loss such as a quick flicker or something in a storm, but you surely make it sound like that isn't the case with your other board experience comments.

So, I'll test this out right now on my X58 and see what happens. I will set Full On and remove the power for 3-5 minutes and then turn the power back on and see what happens.

Comment

OK, I see what you mean, and how it should work now! Thanks, I guess I learn something new everyday, this I should have already knew of :)

It could just be a BIOS bug they have overlooked? Are you flashing with Qflash, and clearing the DMI pool before each flash, then starting with optimized defaults and rebooting before making changes? If not flash the latest beta again using that method and see if it helps any.

If not it's probably a bug they need to test for and then fix, go ahead and send in a report here

Comment

I'm struggling with a similar issue with a newer Gigabyte motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H. Perhaps I'm confused about how AC BACK option in BIOS is intended to work?

It was my understanding that if:
        1.) outlet power was lost and PC was plugged into a UPS
        2.) once the UPS hit a specified power threshhold (i.e. 10 mins remaining),
        3.) the PC would shut down gracefully
        4.) the PC would power off after graceful shutdown
        5.) AC power would be restored at the outlet
        6.) AC BACK = ON would cause the PC to power itself back on and boot up

Is this how it's intended to work? OR only if power is lost abruptly? meaning no graceful shutdown of the OS?

Comment

Originally posted by miles267 View Post
          I'm struggling with a similar issue with a newer Gigabyte motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H. Perhaps I'm confused about how AC BACK option in BIOS is intended to work?

It was my understanding that if:
          1.) outlet power was lost and PC was plugged into a UPS
          2.) once the UPS hit a specified power threshhold (i.e. 10 mins remaining),
          3.) the PC would shut down gracefully
          4.) the PC would power off after graceful shutdown
          5.) AC power would be restored at the outlet
          6.) AC BACK = ON would cause the PC to power itself back on and boot up

Is this how it's intended to work? OR only if power is lost abruptly? meaning no graceful shutdown of the OS?
          No this is meant just for power loss.
          How would the PC know it is connected to a UPS or what changing level is?
          What you describe is normally done with special software and hardware e.g. PCI card or USB connection to the UPS that signal the PC to shutdown/wakeup

Comment

Working...
          X