Can't Overclock Anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Overclock Anymore

I installed a new video card (EVGA GTS450) on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P Q6600 machine and I can no longer overclock. The BIOS says that I am OCed to 3.2Ghz but when I run CPU-Z it says my CPU is running at 2.13Ghz, well below the stock speed of 2.44Ghz.

It doesn't matter what I change the multiplier or FSB to, it always resets to 2133Mhz in CPU-Z but when I go back into the BIOS it is still set the way that I set it. Either 9x333 or 8x401.

I tried encoding an H264 file and running prime95 to see if it would run faster under load but it stayed at 2133Mhz (8x266.7Mhz).

Would a video card affect my overclock and if so, what do I need to do to fix this?

What has me baffled is that BIOS says that it is overclocked but not only is it's not overclocked, it's handcuffed below stock speed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DarrellS; 01-05-2011, 11:40 PM.
    Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced Case - Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P Motherboard
    Intel Q6600 Processor
    - Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler - 4GB G-SKILL DDR2 1066 Memory
    EVGA GTS450 Video Card
    - Turtle Beach Catalina Sound Card - 160GB WD Boot Drive - 5 x 1TB Storage Drives
    Pioneer 116D DVD Writer - Pioneer 118L DVD Writer - Windows XP Pro SP3

Re: Can't Overclock Anymore

Do you see a red warning box when you enter the BIOS MIT page?

You may just need to clear the CMOS, and then start over again with optimized defaults.

Also be sure you are using the latest BIOS in case there is any compatibility issues with that card and an older BIOS.

If you update please use Qflash, and disable "keep DMI data" before you flash.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-06-2011, 01:29 AM.

Comment

I've been trying for the last few hours to update the BIOS but I keep getting an error that the update ID doesn't match. First I tried @BIOS (before I saw your reply) and it kept telling me there was an update but when it went to install, it was the same version that I already have (F6).
      Intel Q6600 Processor
      EVGA GTS450 Video Card
      - Turtle Beach Catalina Sound Card - 160GB WD Boot Drive - 5 x 1TB Storage Drives

Comment

F6 is the latest what are you trying to update to?

Comment

Yeah, I was looking at the GA-P35-DS3P page instead of the GA-EP35-DS3P. Looks like I'm screwed then. I'll take the battery out tomorrow and see if that helps but resetting to default or optimum settings puts me at 9x100 at 900Mhz. Either the CPU or the board is shot I'm afraid.
          Intel Q6600 Processor
          EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

I cleared CMOS which returned the CPU to stock speed and then OC'ed to 3Ghz (9x333) which it now runs fine at but trying to OC to 3.2 (8x401) causes a hiccup on reboot and kicks it back down to 2133Mhz. I've run this CPU at 3.6 before (not real stable) and have run it at 3.2 the last year and a half and now I can't get it to run at 3.2.
            Intel Q6600 Processor
            EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

Strange thing, after having my CPU OC to 3.85GHz with fairly low voltages it became unstable at some point and I had to increase vcore. Further more, to resume from hibernation now I have to let it "rest" for a minute before booting (e.g. enter BIOS or boot menu) and then reboot, or I get corrupted file and then need to repair the file system.

Could be just a matter of settings that need to be changed. Post full BIOS settings maybe we can be for a help.

Comment

I changed the voltage from 1.379xxx to 1.38xxx and it booted correctly and CPU-Z shows it as 3.2Ghz so I guess it was the voltage. I kept switching from 2.0 to 2.5 on the System Memory Multiplier, not sure if that had any affect. It's at 2.0 right now.

Robust Graphics Booster_____________ [Auto]
                CPU Clock Ratio (Note)______________ [8]
                CPU Host Clock Control______________ [Enabled]
                CPU Host Frequency (MHz)____________ [401]
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_________ [102]
                C.I.A. 2____________________________ [Disabled]
                System Memory Multiplier (SPD)______ [2.00]

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
                CAS Latency Time_____________ 5 ____ [5]
                Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay______ 5 ____ [5]
                Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_____5 ____ [5]
                Precharge Delay (tRAS)________15 ___ [15]

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_______4 ____ [4]
                Rank Write to READ Delay______3 ____ [11]
                Write to Precharge Delay______6 ____ [5]
                Refresh to ACT Delay________42 _____ [42]
                Read to Precharge Delay_______4 ____ [6]
                Static Read Value___________________
                Static tRead Phase Adjust___________ [Auto]

System Voltage Control______________ [Manual]
                DDR2 OverVoltage Control____________ [+0.300V]
                PCI-E OverVoltage Control___________ [+0.1V]
                FSB OverVoltage Control_____________ [+0.1V]
                (G)MCH OverVoltage Control__________ [+0.1V]
                CPU Voltage Control_________________ [1.38]
                Intel Q6600 Processor
                EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

Even 1.38v seems a bit low considering it's a 45nm processor. Is LLC enabled?
                  Memory is 1066 s SMM 2.66 should be good with a little more MCH maybe.

Comment

Q6600 is 65nm, and for 3.2GHz, ~1.4 is plenty in most cases with G0 stepping examples. It's only when trying to push a chip like that to > 3.5GHz that big voltages might be needed (~1.5-1.55V).
                    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

The problem has popped back up again. I can't get the bus speed higher than 266.7. The Bios says it's 401 but CPU-Z says it's 266.7. I reset to optimized default and started over with all the settings. I changed the CPU Clock Ratio to 9 and the CPU Host Frequency to 333 but CPU-Z still reads the bus speed as 266.7. I can't get the clock speed over 2.44 Ghz (stock speed) because the bus speed won't go over 266.7. Bios says everything is good but it's not.

I don't know what to do. I can't keep taking the battery out of the MB to reset the BIOS and I can't update the BIOS because there are no more updates.
                      Intel Q6600 Processor
                      EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

I installed EasyTune5 and when I pushed the overclock button which was not lit up, I got an error message saying that either my motherboard did not support overclocking or that the dynamic power saver was enabled. I don't have dynamic power saver installed.
                        Intel Q6600 Processor
                        EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

Now I can't uninstall the stupid POS.

EDIT: Went into safe mode and uninstalled it.

I guess the board is shot for overclocking.
                          Last edited by DarrellS; 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM.
                          Intel Q6600 Processor
                          EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

What setting are you using for Performance Enhance? Turbo? Standard? Extreme? Set it to Standard.
                            Mch Core = +0.20 might help, as Chike suggested.
                            If clearing the CMOS doesn't help, re-flash your bios using Lsdme's procedure and use the correct F6 bios and try again.

Several months ago, my P35-DS3L suddenly refused to overclock when the bios reset itself to default settings. I re-flashed my bios using the same bios version that was previously installed and everything returned to normal.

Be sure to set Full Screen Logo Show to DISABLED, so that you can view your cpu and memory speeds while posting.
                            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Reflashed the BIOS and raised MCH to +.20 but no help. I always set Performance Enhance to Normal. I have a doctors appointment this morning. I'll take the battery out later today and see if that helps. There is no 2.66 setting for System Memory Multiplier. I set it to 2.5. I think either the board or the CPU has failed, keeping the bus speed at 266.7.
                              Intel Q6600 Processor
                              EVGA GTS450 Video Card

Comment

Working...
                              X