Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58a UD5 with mushkin redline 998691 cannot run set timings for ram

Hello

I have a gigabyte x58a with 12gigs of mushkin redline 1600 (998691) ram with factory timings at 6-7-6-18. For the last few weeks I have been trying to get the ram to run at the correct timings but have had no success. My system is not overclocked. I have tried numerous settings with no luck. I RMAed the ram to mushkin but the replacements did the same thing. All the memory has been run through Memtest and all 12 sticks (including the ones via rma) failed. I tested one stick at a time in both of the ram slots, same errors. I have been able to get they system to boot with the correct timings but not all the memory is available/shown in the system.

If I set the timings to 7-7-6-18 then all works fine. Memtrest produces no errors. Mushkin convinced me to RMA the chip thinking the memory controller was bad. I did so yet the replacement produces the same result, fails at 6-7-6 but works at 7-7-6. I have reseated the chip into the motherboard after checking for bent pins among any other such solutions.

Could this be a motherboard error? I started with f5 bios then moved to f6b now f6c.

I was hoping someone might have a suggestion.
    Thankyou
    Mort

Re: X58a UD5 with mushkin redline 998691 cannot run set timings for ram

Can you please give me your full current BIOS settings. There is a template in my signature for you to fill them into.

I can say memory specs are per kit, so you may not be able to run such tight timings with 12GB, same as you would not be able to run 1800-2000Mhz very easily with 12GB.

I will try to help you get going though, did you have luck using those timings with only 6GB? Have you tested each stick one by one with the latest Memtest86+ at stock speeds and timings, with manually set QPI/Vtt and Vdimm voltages?

Comment

I cannot get one stick, one kit or two kits and any combination in between to run at the correct timings.
      My bios settings are the optimized defaults with the exception of the memory settings. The form is filled out to the best of my memory, again everything is default except memory settings.

Advanced CPU Features:
      CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21x]
      Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
      CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
      CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
      C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
      CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
      CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
      Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
      Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
      QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
      Uncore Frequency .......................... (3200)
      Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
      Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [disabled]
      BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................133
      PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
      CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
      PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
      CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
      IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
      Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
      Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [12]
      DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [expert]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:

##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
      CAS Latency Time ......................6
      tRCD .......................................7
      tRP .........................................6
      tRAS .......................................18

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine. For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
      XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
      tRC ........................................ (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)auto
      tRRD .......................................auto
      tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)auto
      tWR ........................................auto
      tWTP ....................................... (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)auto
      tWL ........................................ (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)auto
      tRFC .......................................auto
      tRTP .......................................auto
      tFAW ......................................auto
      Command Rate (CMD) ................1

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
      Round Trip Latency ...................

B2B CAS Delay ..........................

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU

Load Line Calibration ................. [standard]
      CPU Vcore ...............................auto
      QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............1.315
      CPU PLL 1.800v .......................auto

MCH/ICH
      PCIE 1.500v ...........................
      QPI PLL 1.100v .......................
      IOH Core 1.100v .....................
      ICH I/O 1.500v .......................
      ICH Core 1.1v ........................

DRAM
      DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.64
      DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
      Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]</pre>

Comment

youll need more qpi than that for 12gb,try with 1.38-1.4v
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have adjusted the qpi up as high as 1.4. Most of my testing has been done with only one kit installed. Although I have twelve gigs, two kits, most testing has been done with only one kit. I am ok with having to losen the timings but it makes me suspect that I cannot get one kit or one stick to achieve those settings. Its seems odd that all 12 sticks, individually tested, would fail at those settings in memtetst. I can understand one or two, maybe three of the twelve but all...

If I have the qpi voltages low then the system doen not recognize all the ram, say only 2gigs of the six. If I increase the voltage then it may recognize it being there but memtest presents numerous errors.

There is something off and I cannot find it. I am concerned that If I cannot figure out what the hold back is then there is a greater problem waiting for me later on.

Comment

QPI and Vdimm settings are the key here, especially with tight timings. So I assume your sticks may be fine, and since they all fail by themselves at Memtest86+ then you likely are just not finding the correct settings your CPU likes for those timings is all. You did use the latest Memtest86+ 4.00 right, just checking?

You may need to use 1.4-1.55+ even for these timings, you can see my review on 998679 Kit in my signature, I think I used 1.43+ QPI/Vtt and 1.68 Vdimm to run 676-18. Of course that kit is not a Redline kit, so you may have an easier time getting them going, but just don't be scared of the QPI/Vtt or otherwise you need to settle for lesser timings.

You can see my thoughts here on high QPI/Vtt voltages:
            QPI/Vtt Voltage post (High is OK)

Are you using the latest BIOS? This is also important, if not please update using Qflash

Please read this if you are unsure of safe flashing procedures

Let's try one kit for now, 920 CPU I assume?

Advanced CPU Features:
            CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21x]
            Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
            CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
            CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
            C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
            CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
            CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
            Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
            Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
            QPI Link Speed .............................. x36 or x44 at stock Bclk is fine, higher may need more QPI/Vtt
            Uncore Frequency .......................... (3200) << This is also key in getting things goings smoothly. Always set manually to at least x2 memory multi, but for tighter timings or higher speeds you may need more. You can easily use 2x +1 or 2x +2, and this will often be better for tighter timings, so please try x25-x26 for now
            Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
            Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [disabled]
            BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................133
            PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
            CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
            PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
            CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
            IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
            Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard] << Turbo/Extreme may work better unlike in previous gen boards. I only use Extreme and have no issues, even at 2100+ Mhz
            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
            System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [12]
            DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [expert]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
            ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
            CAS Latency Time ......................6
            tRCD .......................................7
            tRP .........................................6
            tRAS .......................................18

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine. For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
            XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
            tRC ........................................ (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)auto
            tRRD .......................................auto
            tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)auto
            tWR ........................................auto
            tWTP ....................................... (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)auto
            tWL ........................................ (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)auto
            tRFC .......................................auto
            tRTP .......................................auto
            tFAW ......................................auto
            Command Rate (CMD) ................1

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
            Round Trip Latency ...................

B2B CAS Delay ..........................

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
            Load Line Calibration ................. [standard]
            CPU Vcore ...............................auto is fine at stock Bclk
            QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............1.315 << May need 1.35-1.45+ (Try 1.435-1.5)
            CPU PLL 1.800v .......................auto is fine at stock Bclk

MCH/ICH
            PCIE 1.500v ........................... << Set 1.5
            QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... << Set 1.16-1.28
            IOH Core 1.100v ..................... << Set 1.14-1.24
            ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... << Set 1.5
            ICH Core 1.1v ........................ << Set 1.14

DRAM
            DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.64 << Set 1.66-1.68
            DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
            Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

Thank you for the response.

The processor is a 930

I had some success. Using your guide I stepped up the voltages little by little. Its fairly quick as I can see right away in the bios if the system is recognizing one two or three sticks of ram. At the maximum of all your settings I was able to get one kit at the 676 18 timings. It was also successful in one pass of memtest+ 4.0 Unfortunately I had some bsods, prime95 produced errors and realtemp only saw 3 of the 4 cores of the cpu. Also the second kit (not together, 6gigs) wouldn't read at those settings, still producing errors.

One thing of note. When I was testing the sticks individually in memtest; each stick of ram seemed to have individual requirements of the voltages. Some would want 1.64 dram volts and 1.375 qpi and another would want 1.66 volts, 1.4 qpi and so fourth.

Currrently I am running 7-7-7-20 at 1.2xx qpi and 1.64 dram volts. Nothing else changed from the default optimized settings. I would be happy with these timings if not for the fact that I spent a lot extra for the tighter timings.

I read your review of the mushkin ram (really wishing I would have purchased that kit instead). Nice review and a good read. Curious, what tends to preform better, lower cas latency or higher ram clocks in real word situations (for me that woudl be 3d content creations apps)?

Thx again.
              Last edited by Mortague; 05-02-2010, 05:21 PM.

Comment

What BSOD's are you seeing, they can help you diagnose what you need to change. The code is what you need, either 0x00000000 or the last three numbers of that which will be shown in windows dialog when you get back into windows.

BSOD Error codes and what they mean:
                0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
                0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
                0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage

Prime95 errors and missing cores really makes me think you do not have your CPU stable at all yet, so you may want to work on getting that stable before you mess with these tight timings. Use 787-20 or the 777-20 you are using now until you get the CPU side of things stable

The kit I reviewed is the lesser model, yours is much better binned chips. They use the same chips, only the redline kit will do those timings/speeds much easier. You just need to find the sweet spot is all, high end memory is not plug and play, no offense meant just trying to let you know you shouldn't expect it to work without putting in some time tweaking is all.

Thanks for your kind words on my review, most appreciated! It all depends, you would need to bench and test using what you intend to use in the real world before you could know for sure which is better.

676-18 vs 777-20 is fairly close anyway at the same Mhz, so it may not matter much at all to you, and this especially might be the best way for you to run things anyway since you have 12GB you plan to use

Comment

Working...
                X