No announcement yet.

Annoying issue - Seemingly random no video card on POST (with appropriate beep error)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying issue - Seemingly random no video card on POST (with appropriate beep error)

Hi,
    Last week I booted up my computer in the morning and it seemed my computer was dead. After some troubleshooting, I realised I had no speaker connected (isn't it funny how you cannot remember if your computer beeped every time it booted up or not...). Upon connecting the speaker, I finally started getting somewhere with my troubleshooting. The computer was giving 1 long, 2 short beeps which indicates graphics card error. Dismayed at my relatively new (2 months old) video card had randomly given up the ghost, I went and watched some tv. Along comes my wife who turns on my computer and lo and behold, it boots up fine.

Next morning, same thing happens again. After searching around the internets for anyone having a similar issue, I came to the conclusion that it was the power supply.

When I exchanged my power supply, I was given a different power supply (was a 650w Widetech, new one was a more expensive 600w Coodmax that doesn't appear to be 600w according to the label on the supply).

Anyhow, I reassembled the computer with the new power supply with a bit of worry (I looked at the label before I installed it and was sure it was going to not even boot up). The computer booted up fine. Next day the computer boots up fine again and is running normally. I was in the mood to kill stuff so I installed Quake 4 and played it for a few hours.

To my surprise, next morning I turn on the computer and the same situation happens (no video with the beeps). Annoyed, I turn off the computer and jump on my laptop to see if I missed anything online relating to my issue. I turn my computer back on later that day and it works again. Annoyingly, it boots up fine the next day. Strangely enough, I play some Quake 4 and the next morning, the computer does the no video issue.

To sum things up:
    -Seemingly at random, my video card does not start up with the rest of the computer
    -The computer will boot into windows fine and I can use remote desktop to login to it
    -The new power supply has: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
    Unless they have mislabelled the supply or there is multiple 12v rails, the power supply is a 250W psu but is sold as a 600w psu (the psu's model number is CD-P600W)...
    -It appears that the onboard sound is not working properly (it may just be because I am logged in remotely). The speakers (which are plugged in) do not show up in the dialog which show what speakers are plugged in where...

I plan on getting a refund on this PSU and buying a branded PSU this weekend (I have never had any troubles with generic PSUs until now but I have had enough)

My question for you guys is, am I getting this right as a PSU issue or should I look at exchanging the video card (or some other part) as well?

Computer info
    CPU:
    Athlon II x4 630 @2.8ghz
    RAM:
    2x Corsair Value Select VS2GB1333D3 --- 2 GB DDR3-1333 @ 1333mhz, timings by spd
    GPU:
    Gigabyte HD5670oc
    Mobo:
    Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 - F2 bios
    HDDS:
    Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
    Seagate ST3200822AS ATA Device (200 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
    Optical:
    ASUS DRW-1608P ATA Device (DVD+R9:6x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

PSU:
    "600W" CoodMax CD-P600W
    CASE
    Modified generic case (modified to allow 120mm fans for better ventilation).
    Last edited by emu; 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM. Reason: Added in BIOS version

Re: Annoying issue - Seemingly random no video card on POST (with appropriate beep er

Wow, not sure if the PSU is the problem or not but that sounds like your new PSU is much worse than your older one?

Power supply is the most important part of your system, something you should never skimp on.

Multiple rails is common, not the greatest of ideas, but many PSU do have multiple 12V Rails. But just so you know, the specs you listed above only show one single 12V Rail @ 12A, the -12 is not considered as something we are really talking about here.

Only 12A on the 12V rail is not good at all, I could not find specifically what your Graphics Card requires per the 12V Rail, but I did find that it needs at least 400W PSU:
    ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5670 System Requirements

With only 12A on the 12V Rail, I doubt your system is liking this very much because your CPU and GFX card both run off this. It is odd though that it is fine one minute and not others?

I would personally buy a good brand name 500W or above PSU with at least 25-30+ Amps on the 12V Rail, more if you plan to ever use a larger GFX Card.

So, I am as unsure as you, but yes I would start with a good solid PSU and go from there.

Also be sure you are using the very latest BIOS, which is F3D
    GA-770TA-UD3 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS to flash, use Qflash or DOS, here is a guide if you are unsure how to do this:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Comment

Working...
    X