new build x58a-UD7 code 68 (PM Init) wont POST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build x58a-UD7 code 68 (PM Init) wont POST

This may be the first time I've ever been unable to apply enough google to a technical problem. There simply isn't enough information on this particular problem out there it seems. Any suggestions would be welcome, or at the very least some expert confirmation that my board is faulty so I'm not replacing components at random. Thanks for any help you could provide.

Symptoms:
    New build, Power button to on, but no POST (that I can see, or hear), no video signal, motherboard LEDs come on for power and CPU cycles. Error code 68 on the board (code stands for: PM Init).

Steps already taken:
    1) MB 8 pin CPU PS connector is connected.
    2) MB standoffs are installed on the backplane of the MB in the correct spots (only).
    3) Vid Card is seated, reseated, several times.
    4) Vid Card has power cables attached.
    5) Using correct ram slots 1, 3, and 5 for triple channel ram. Tried to get a POST with no ram, 1 stick, 3 sticks in different orders (ABC, CBA, ACB, etc).
    6) CPU cooler is installed correctly, NBridge Heatsink installed correctly. Cooling seems excellent. All cooling devices turn on with power applied (power button on).
    7) front panel plugs on the correct pins on MB.
    8) Reset CmoS. No change.
    9) Monitor verified good on another system.
    10) swapped in my video card from my other system. No change (no video signal). This video card works when returned to the original computer. I cannot test my R5870 in the original system. It's too large.
    11) No loose screws, or debris of any kind in the Corsair 700D case.

Relevant specs:
    x58a-UD7 Motherboard, 980x CPU
    Corsair 1000w PS
    CMG6GX3M3A2000C8 Corsair Dominator 2GBx3 triple channel ram
    Single ATI R5870 video card

Any suggestions to eliminate this issue would be helpful. With no POST, I don't have alot to go on other than the error code and lack of functionality.

Re: new build x58a-UD7 code 68 (PM Init) wont POST

its most likely you bios,the bios that ships with the mb wont support the new 980x chip,i remember another user had the exact same problem,youll need a 920 or 930 or any other 1366 socket chip to use so you can flash to the latest bios that will support your 980x chip.a pain i know but thats how the other user fixed it
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

This is incompatible CPU, being your 980X is not compatible with the BIOS on board.

I just added this as verified to the end of the X58 Post code list yesterday, link in my signature.

You will need to find a older 920 you can borrow to flash with

Comment

Just verifying

Lsdmeasap,

Before I spend the money to buy a second socket 1366 i7 920 cpu to get my socket 1366 motherboard to work... I just want to clarify: you ARE saying that if I install the 920 CPU, and update the bios, then I can replace my 980x cpu back into the motherboard with full functionality, correct?

I also wanted to thank you (both) for your speedy replies. This is a frustrating and unexpected scenario, having to buy a second CPU strictly for the purposes of making a motherboard bios work with a same series socket chip, but I am thankful to have a clear path to move forward. I just wanted to verify this is the right way to go to get the motherboard POSTing and fully functional before I make the additional purchase.

-srisen

Comment

Re: Just verifying

Originally posted by srisen View Post
          Lsdmeasap,

Before I spend the money to buy a second socket 1366 i7 920 cpu to get my socket 1366 motherboard to work... I just want to clarify: you ARE saying that if I install the 920 CPU, and update the bios, then I can replace my 980x cpu back into the motherboard with full functionality, correct?

I also wanted to thank you (both) for your speedy replies. This is a frustrating and unexpected scenario, having to buy a second CPU strictly for the purposes of making a motherboard bios work with a same series socket chip, but I am thankful to have a clear path to move forward. I just wanted to verify this is the right way to go to get the motherboard POSTing and fully functional before I make the additional purchase.

-srisen
          Yes that is what they are saying. Perhaps you could buy the 920 at Best Buy or somewhere similar, flash the BIOS and then return it for only a 15% loss from the restocking fee.

Comment

Yes, you will need an older CPU such as 920 or 930 if it is easier for you to get. Either should be fine to update the BIOS with, get 920 if you want to be 100% sure.

See if you can borrow one somewhere, that way you do not need to buy one.

Here is a few recent posts for verification, and to ease your mind, of this post code (68/b8) caused by 980X being incompatible with BIOS on board:

Comment

its best to find a local pc shop and take the mb with the latest bios on a usb stick and ask them if they could power the board up with one of their 920chip and flash it for you,if they are a good friendly shop i cantsee why they wouldnt,or ask the place where you purchased it from and explain your situation
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

I would just like to THANK both of you.

I was able to get my bios flashed through a local PC shop at minimal (1% of system cost, about 40 bucks) expense, and once flashed it booted up with the 980x beautifully.

My official Gigabyte tech support reply just finally came back (identical post to the one on these forums) and it says, "uninstall and reinstall everything. If it still doesn't work, RMA it." So, once again, I cannot tell you how happy I am that you had accurate useful advice which saved me weeks of unnecessary waiting and hassle and might have resulted in the same exact problem again (had I received a second older bios MB).

I can't believe how much volume there is on your forum. This post is only days old and already pages back. It would seem that your expertise is in high demand. Once again thank you both.

Comment

im glad your up and running,you could even try sending off a copy of the reciept to gigabyte for flashing the bios with a 920 chip maybe they would refund you
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by srisen View Post
                    I would just like to THANK both of you.

I was able to get my bios flashed through a local PC shop at minimal (1% of system cost, about 40 bucks) expense, and once flashed it booted up with the 980x beautifully.

My official Gigabyte tech support reply just finally came back (identical post to the one on these forums) and it says, "uninstall and reinstall everything. If it still doesn't work, RMA it." So, once again, I cannot tell you how happy I am that you had accurate useful advice which saved me weeks of unnecessary waiting and hassle and might have resulted in the same exact problem again (had I received a second older bios MB).

I can't believe how much volume there is on your forum. This post is only days old and already pages back. It would seem that your expertise is in high demand. Once again thank you both.
                    Great to hear you got it!! Sorry you had to pay $40, but that's cheaper than a new CPU for sure!!

Thanks for your support and kind words!! We try out best to keep up with helping everyone here, and I guess our solid advice is what brings in so many users.

I'm glad to hear this is all corrected now for you, post back anytime if you have any more questions or need help with things!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X