GA-H55M-S2H mobo seems to spin case fan abnormally slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-H55M-S2H mobo seems to spin case fan abnormally slowly

Hi, I just built a PC with a GA-H55M-S2H motherboard and a GZ-X2 case. The CPU seems to idle at a decent temperature (27C) with the fan at 1600 RPM but the case temp is 41C at 830 RPM according to HWMonitor. I haven't yet added an intake fan so as far as case cooling goes it is just the case's exhaust fan and the PSU fan. Therefore, I would expect the case fan to spin faster to compensate. Moreover, there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the fan speed; the BIOS obviously spins it slow as well as EasyTune6. I would use SpeedFan but it doesn't seem to be reading temperatures correctly in this rig. Likewise with EasyTune, which says the CPU is running at 16C (which is cooler than room temperature).

So I guess my questions are:

1) Are these normal temperatures (27C CPU and 41C case)?

2) What software will most accurately read this mobo and the core i3 processor? HWMonitor seems the most realistic; CoreTemp, SpeedFan, and EasyTune6 all seem off.

3) Is it normal for the mobo-controlled case fan to only spin at 830 RPM like that? Is there some setting I missed in the BIOS to speed it up a little?

4) This is a home server that basically sits idle most of the time, but the BIOS had the CPU fan spinning way faster than necessary and it was pretty loud, that's why I installed SpeedFan and then later EasyTune. Any ideas for a tool to dynamically adjust the fans that will work with this mobo and CPU?

Thanks!!

Re: GA-H55M-S2H mobo seems to spin case fan abnormally slowly

where on the mb did you connect your case fan too? and is the fan a 3pin or a four pin pwn fan??? lavelys everest will tell you everything you need to know regarding temps ect,download it from here

http://www.lavalys.com/sites/default...js9wgrvd_0.zip
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You may need to set your BIOS to voltage instead of PWM, or move the case fan to another header if possible. Sometimes the case fan header is slow, so if this is your only header you may need to use a molex to fan connector and put your case fan on that.

Or get an additional intake fan and connect via header or molex, which you should do anyway as this will help for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
        where on the mb did you connect your case fan too? and is the fan a 3pin or a four pin pwn fan??? lavelys everest will tell you everything you need to know regarding temps ect,download it from here
        http://www.lavalys.com/sites/default...js9wgrvd_0.zip
        Hi, thank you for replying. I connected the case fan to the SYS_FAN header. The header has four pins and the fan has three. I still don't understand PWM vs. voltage yet, but two things struck me while researching this just now. First, while the BIOS has settings for "Smart Fan Control" (varies the fan speed based on CPU temps), it doesn't have similar settings for the case fan. Second, the motherboard manual shows differences between the pins of CPU_FAN and SYS_FAN.

Code:
        CPU_FAN:                                     SYS_FAN:
        Pin No. Definition                           Pin No. Definition
         1       GND                                  1       GND
         2       +12V / Speed Control                 2       +12V / Speed Control
         3       Sense                                3       Sense
         4       Speed Control                        4       Reserve
        I'm not sure what "Reserve" means, or if it's a typo in the manual. But I do know that SpeedFan was able to vary the speed of the case fan, so it can be done.

Does that tell you anything about what's going on with the slow case fan?

As far as reading temperatures, Everest is very helpful. It seems to correctly identify every sensor in the computer! It still reads the CPU temp wrong, but I was able to use it as a Rosetta stone to translate what the EasyTune values meant. Here, check this out:

Based on this, it looks like each CPU core reports its own temperature, but the motherboard also reports a CPU temperature? So CPU in Everest = TMPIN2 in HWMonitor = CPU in EasyTune -- but all three programs report a bogus value (15C)! It would seem that the core temps are more accurate, but EasyTune at least doesn't seem to detect individual core temperatures, it only seems to track that other CPU temperature, which is invalid.

Anyway, thanks for reading all this and for helping.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          You may need to set your BIOS to voltage instead of PWM, or move the case fan to another header if possible. Sometimes the case fan header is slow, so if this is your only header you may need to use a molex to fan connector and put your case fan on that.

Or get an additional intake fan and connect via header or molex, which you should do anyway as this will help for sure.
          You know what's weird is that the BIOS only has a PWM / Voltage setting for the CPU fan, not the case fan. Under the BIOS or EasyTune control it always seems to spin at the same slow speed. But SpeedFan was able to vary its speed just fine. Like I said, I'd use SpeedFan but unfortunately it's not reading temperatures accurately.

That's a good idea to use another header but there's only the two on the motherboard. I guess if all else fails I'll have to put it a molex connector like you said, or more likely get a different molex fan with speed control, since under molex power the current fan will go full blast, right?

The drives are running kind of hot so hopefully things will cool down once they get their own fan in front.

Thanks!

Comment

CPU temps look correct to me, based on your current voltages and core temps.

Because this is a cheaper/smaller board you have less BIOS options and features, that is why you cannot change SYS_Fan in the BIOS.

Ya, a molex will run full speed of the fan without a controller, depending on the fan that might be ok though.

Comment

Working...
            X