EX58-UD4P unable to get past "Verifying DMI Pool Data" no matter what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EX58-UD4P unable to get past "Verifying DMI Pool Data" no matter what

You talking about fixing MBR? I could do that from repair console, if that's what you mean.

Comment

No, there is more to it than that with Window7/Vista. You need to rebuild the BCD Store as well, if you are up to it you can google that and find how it is done.

this is what the repair startup options on the disk will try to do anyway if it finds that to be the problem, and it usually works so please do go ahead and try that first.

Comment

Ok, I'll see what's that about :) thanks!

Comment

Dear Lsdmeasap!
          I'm writing this from my working Windows installation!!!!!!!1!1!1!1!1!!!111
          Yes!!! OMFG!!!!!

So, here's what worked for me:
          Code:
          Bcdedit /export  C:\BCD_Backup
          ren  c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
          Bootrec /rebuildbcd
          Yup, apparently, my boot record was corrupted, despite of all my suspicions and naysaying. However, simple "Startup repair" didn't do anything, I had to delete old BCD Store and re-create as written here.

So, I don't even know how to thank you properly for this advice! I was getting really desperate and thought of taking my whole rig apart was just awful. But you saved my ass! Hell yeah!!!

Now for the (still) lingering issue: there are some very long delays on "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and right after "Starting Windows" comes up. "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stays up for about 30 sec., "Starting Windows" for a little longer than that. I'm certain that this was not the case before this whole thing happened.

What would you recommend me to change in BIOS now?

Comment

Great to see you got it going buddy!

Sorry, I guess I should have linked you to some info about doing that when I mentioned it! I guess I was in a hurry for work and just assumed you'd be ok using the disk repair.

Glad to see you found the info anyway and fixed it yourself!

No problem man, I am here to help! Usually it is the little things that are the hardest to diagnose and/or fix, and this sounded to me like the problem. Nice to see it was this, instead of something else that could've been harder to fix, this is fairly easy to do.

Verifying DMI pool can sometimes take a few, 20-30 seconds may be normal, but your settings still could be off causing it to stall a bit longer than usual. Before we check out your settings, you can delete and rebuild the DMI pool if you want and see if this helps things move faster for you.

To do that you will need to flash your BIOS again, you can use the current version you are using now if you like, even with all your settings/profiles still in tact. First, in the BIOS on the MAIN page save your current BIOS profile by pressing F11 to save and name it whatever you like, then nstall @BIOS and use the save to disk feature and save your current BIOS to your hard drive, or you can also do this in Qflash.

Then put your BIOS on your USB Stick and go into Qflash, before you flash disable "Keep DMI Data". Then flash normally, and reboot to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS load optimized and save/apply/reboot F10 BACK to the BIOS. This time load your saved profile of your current settings from the MAIN page of the BIOS by pressing F12 and pick the saved profile you created earlier, then go check your memory multiplier to make sure it is correct (manually set) and then save/apply/reboot F10 again.

Then let windows load, and this time in the Verifying DMI spot you should see two lines in regards to DMI. One will be creation of DMI Pool, and then Verifying it on line two, then windows will load. After that reboot and let it load again and see if the verifying DMI pool is any quicker this time around.

If that does not help it go faster we will look into your settings. The amount of time you are seeing may be normal though, not sure. I am making a video of my bootup times tonight for another user here, so I'll edit in the link below here once I do that so you can compare my Verifying DMI times to yours and see if they are similar or not.

Comment

Well, I think this thing fixed itself or that was just one-time glitch, because it doesn't pause there anymore. So everything is back to normal!
              Thanks again, Lsdmeasap!

Comment

Great to hear!

Ya, sometimes it does seem to hang there, especially if it is making changes to the DMI pool, and sometimes it says updating when that happens, other times not).

Post back anytime if you need more help with things, or just wanna chat about overclocking or something. We are always here to help!

Comment

Okay, I have some new info on the issue! :)
                  As I said, the problem was in corrupted boot record and was resolved. However!..
                  It turned out, that it still there. I was updating drivers and doing some stuff and sure enough - PC wouldn't boot from the first try again, sometimes from 3rd try!
                  It appears that this time it's related to my two USB HDDs - one WD My Book 500GB and another WD Elements 1TB. On POST, they spin up sequentially and it takes about 20 second. After that POST comes through but it always stalls at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and when I reset at this point drives already spun and POST doesn't wait for them and system boots.
                  I unplugged them both and it confirms it.
                  I tried using "Wait for HDD" setting in BIOS but that, apparently, works only for IDE drives.
                  What should I do now? I don't think all these hard resets are good for internal components. Is this a mobo issue or HDDs?

Comment

These are USB Drives right?

Try disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect (May be renamed to USB Storage or Legecy Storage) in the Integrated Peripherals BIOS page

Comment

God damn it! So this was the problem all this time? Now it flies through that first screen and doesn't stop and "Verifying DMI Pool Data"! Unbelievable.
                      Thanks again, Lsdmeasap! :)

Oh, btw - will this make me unable to boot from USB devices? Will I have to turn it back on to do that? Just in case.
                      Last edited by asmodeus_dhoine; 05-04-2010, 07:10 AM. Reason: forgot to ask

Comment

HAHA! Yes this is a common thing, sorry I did not mention it before (Unless I did?).

I thought you solved the issues previously, but I guess not? Either way, glad to see you are happy again now!

Yes, you will need to enable that setting anytime you need to boot from USB or use USB Items in DOS.

Comment

Yes, you did :)
                          But, I guess I'm just SOL because that was a (very) unfortunate coincidence: I had borked boot record AND these USB drives were having fun. So I couldn't tell one from another until I recovered BCD! But now I think it's pretty clear that earlier and recent freezes were due to USB drives. Gah!.. Why can't someone fix that, I wonder?

Comment

Well at least you now know!

I am not sure why they leave it enabled by default, you would think disabled by default would cause less problems and then just add a note in the manual reminding users to enable this to use external USB Devices.

Same applies with USB keyboard I think, this should be enbled by default then add note disable if using PS/2. Would save plenty of USB keyboard users the hassles of trying to find out why they can't access the BIOS to start setting up their systems

Comment

Working...
                            X