Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking E8500 with EP35C-DS3R Motherboard

Hey all,
    I was hoping anyone can help me overclock my E8500 with EP35C-DS3R motherboard and DDR2 OCZ 2x2 Gb 1066Mhz memory. I have tried many settings for my BIOS but non of them worked, in a way i couldn't boot my windows or even sometimes couldn't turn my PC on without rebooting within the next second (i think because voltage overloaded or something). But the point is seems that no such settings work to overclock E8500 WITH DDR2 1066Mhz memory. If anyone have any advice on settings or anything please inform. Thanks in advance :D

Mj,

Re: Overclocking E8500 with EP35C-DS3R Motherboard

Please give me a link to your memory, or the model #.

Then fill out a template from my signature with the overclock settings you are trying to run, or tell us what speed you want to try if you are still on stock and we will advise back. Do give us your settings though so we can check some things.

Comment

Thanks for replying :D,
      -sigh- ... Ok...Are you ready for this? Are YOU ??... I know you are :D ..Lets get this done.
      Well, first of all my memory sticker says
      Code:
      PC2 8500
      PN  OCZ2RPR10664GK
      [email protected]
      Here's a link: OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition OCZ Technology
      Now, second of all, I'm hoping to reach 3.8Ghz or even 4.28Ghz if I could reach that without buying new coolers and keep the temps under 40. I don't want to fry that sucka, but still.
      I found a similar thread to my case: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/help...5c-ds3r-27563/
      But still, I tried those settings but keep crashing before booting.
      Now here's my current BIOS settings:

Code:
      [B][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/B]
      Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
      No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
      C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
      x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
      CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
      CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
      CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9] 
      CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: [.5]
      CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
      CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333] 
      [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto][/B]
      C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
      System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [Auto]
      DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

[B]Performance Enhance = [Turbo][/B]      (I don't know whats going on here cause my memory sticker says [email protected])

CAS Latency Time_______________5
      Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________7
      Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______7
      Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 20

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 4
      Rank Write to READ Delay________4
      Write to Precharge Delay_________ 8
      Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 72
      Read to Precharge Delay__________4
      Static tRead Value_______________ 6
      Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
      DDR2/DDR3 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal] (Note: to me here it says DDR2/DDR3 which common in EP35C-DS3R)

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
      FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal]
      (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal]
      CPU Voltage Control_______ [Normal]
      Normal CPU Vcore_________1.225v
      Bottom line: I think the memory isnt "compatible" with my CPU with the whole OC thingy. So I don't know actually. I'll be much appreciated if you helped me to get this done. Thanks in advance.

Mj,
      Last edited by XYMan; 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

What BIOS version do you have?

Originally posted by XYMan View Post
        Code:
        DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Auto]

[B]Performance Enhance = [Standard][/B]      (I don't know whats going on here cause my memory sticker says [email protected])
        Timings are not always set as the look in BIOS, check CPU-Z memory tab or with MemSet.
        When {erformance Enhance is set to Turbo or Extreme the BIOS will loosen some of timings.

Comment

Im sorry, there was a mistake. This was the only error i found in my previous post. The Performance Enhance should be TURBO and NOT standard. I edited that. And about the timing, i checked CPU-Z and it says just as like in BIOS; 5-7-7-20. About the BIOS version; according to CPU-Z i have the F3. Any idea how to get that thing upgraded please? Thanks.

Mj,

Comment

The turbo explains the timings, with standard they will change to 5-5-5-15.

You can download the latedt F4 BIOS for this board from GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS if you wish to upgrade. If your MB revision is different than 2.1 don't use it.
            Read http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...76/#post258596.

Comment

Ok thanks but how this help me OCing my CPU? According to CPU-Z i have rev. A2. Is that mean the rev. 2.0? And again, if I dont need all that updating BIOS thing to OC, then ...I dont need it !!

Comment

What cooler are you using? Just wondered since you mention temps. I doubt you will be able to get 4Ghz and keep load temps under 40C, maybe idle temps though.

To check your board revision, you can either look on the box or the board. On the board it is located in the bottom left corner of the PCB under the PCIE slots.

Using the latest BIOS will help with stability for sure, as it would have the latest improvements and fixes.

Let us know if you need more help flashing, once you are done we can help with your settings. Please do read the BIOS flashing guide linked above so you flash safely, DO NOT USE @BIOS. And if you are using RAID, again please BE SURE you read the above guide so you do not corrupt your array with the flash.

Comment

Okay.. Ummm..... Well... First of all I'm using the stock cooler (some fan :D).. And I checked my rev on the BIOS and it says Rev. 2.1. Q: Do I need to update my BIOS now or what?

Mj,

Comment

Thanks, yes I still advise using the latest BIOS, which is F4

Or here if above link does not work for you
                    GA-EP35-DS3R (rev. 2.1) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

With stock cooler you wont be able to get anywhere near 4Ghz, let alone with temps in the 40C range. You need a better cooler, with stock you may be able to get 3.4-3.6 though, but temps will not be in the 40's

If you would like 3.6 settings let me know, then you can post at that speed and see just how hot your idle and load temps are with a stock cooler. I do advise you buy a new cooler though, stock cooler is really only designed for stock speeds.

Comment

Working...
                    X