Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BootSkin and Chipset Drivers

Hi all,

I'm running XP Pro. I used a program called "BootSkin" to change my splash screen back to the original (with "Professional" on it).

I hooked up my old drive to my new MoBo (GA-M68SM-S2 [rev. 1]) and I retained my BootSkin splash screen through several reboots.

I installed the audio drivers, rebooted, and I still had my custom splash screen.

However, when I installed the chipset drivers (NVIDIA SMBus Driver; NVIDIA Away Mode Driver; NVIDIA Ethernet Driver; NVIDIA Storage Driver) I got a BSOD that pointed to "vidstub.sys". And, no matter which version of BootSkin I used, I still get the BSOD.

I'm running 2 IDE drives and may install a couple of SATA drives down the line somewhere — but that's it. I've got a new vidcard, so I don't need the on-board graphics; and I'm using the built-in audio.

Anyway, which of the above drivers do I really need? My thinking is that since this board is Vista\Win7 ready, Vista drivers have been installed and are interfering with XP; but I don't know which or if they are.

Ideas?
    Last edited by jpChris; 04-17-2010, 01:47 PM.
    MoBo: GA-M68SM-S2
    VidCard: EVGA 1GB 9500GT
    CPU: AMD Athlon X2 245
    RAM: 2GB PC28500

Re: BootSkin and Chipset Drivers

You should fill in your full system specs in your signature as you see i have done below. Now that OS that you have installed was that installed onto the hdd from your previous motherboard? It is STRONGLY advised that do a fresh install of windows when moving from from motherboard to another. Since this is a Nvidia chip set motherboard you need the system drivers for the motherboard which packages chipset audio and lan all into on installer I beleive. You might be able to tell it which not to install. You will need the Nvidia video card drivers or ati if you have a ati card.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Hi Acebmxer,

I've had my rig since 2003. I've always had 2 HDDs: My "Main Sqeeze", and a "BreakMe" drive. I've always thoroughly tested anything and everything on the BreakMe drive first before doing it to my main drive — so re-installing and re-tweaking 7+ years of work is not a viable option just to solve "one" problem.

Also, my old board has NVIDIA drivers.

Anyway,
      You might be able to tell it which not to install.
      That's what I'm looking for: I have the Vidcard disk (installs without a problem) and I installed the audio driver without a problem. Of the drivers I listed above, I installed all and hence the problem.

Which of the drivers do I absolutely have to install?

Comment

You've been using the same Windows installation for 7 years and switched motherboards? Wow! That is not a trick I'd be interested in trying but if it works then more power to you. The Windows 7/Vista drivers should not be installed by default so that shouldn't be an issue. Your best bet when installing ANY drivers is to go directly to the manufacturers website and install the latest drivers that match your operating system and hardware. Any drivers on a disk are usually outdated by the time they ship. Trial and error may find which driver is causing issues for you but you will probably be missing some functionality if you choose to skip a driver just because it conflicts with Bootskin.

Honestly buddy I'm not trying to upset or "flame" you but as Acebmxer said, you really should be looking at a re-installation of your operating system. "7+ years of "tweaking" have probably caused more issues than you are aware of and I would be more than willing to bet that your computer would run much faster if you were to start all over. With hard drive prices as low as they are I'd suggest picking up another hard drive and testing the theory if you are unable/willing to take the plunge with yor current hard drives.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I agree, a clean install is best, especially moving from old boards to new ones. I do know what you mean and how you feel though, so I will try and help you get around this.

Do you have your XP install updated to SP2 or SP3 at least? What GFX card are you using, this is probably the first thing you need to update driver-wise. While we are on that, was your old install/boards AGP and your new is PCIE?

If so this may also be part of the issue, which you could easily fix with a windows repair install. I can help you through that if you need to try that next, it will leave all your files, programs, ect and all you will need to reinstall is all windows updates again. This would be the best alternative to a clean install, and would be at the very least a suggested thing to do when moving to a new board if you did not want to do a clean install.

Comment

Thanks, guys, for the input.

@PrairieDawg,
            You've been using the same Windows installation for 7 years and switched motherboards? Wow! That is not a trick I'd be interested in trying but if it works then more power to you. <snip> Honestly buddy I'm not trying to upset or "flame" you but as Acebmxer said, you really should be looking at a re-installation of your operating system. "7+ years of "tweaking" have probably caused more issues than you are aware of and I would be more than willing to bet that your computer would run much faster if you were to start all over.
            Flame away, my friend! Best laugh I've had! Anyway, it's natural to assume that after this long my system would be glutted with crud. It's not. It starts in 48 seconds flat and shuts down in 9 seconds flat. I've been extremely judicious maintaining my computer; and, like I said, I've always done everything on my BreakMe drive first. When I run CCleaner, there's so few things that show up I don't even bother. I have moved my system from the (then, anyway) humongous 10GB drive to larger ones with no problems.

@Lsdmeasap,
            . . . I will try and help you get around this.
            That's what I'm looking for!!!

I have XP Pro w\SP2 (too much stuff in SP3 I don't need so I just update the criticals and Hotfixes). I "think" I put in my GFX card in my signature (EVGA, 1GB PCI-E x16)(my old card is a 128MB AGP) and I got the drivers from the disk that came with the board. I will goto the EVGA site and update the drivers if needed and see if that helps.

As far as a repair install goes, when I moved to the new board I uninstalled my sound card (I'm using the built-in one) and my old ATI Display drivers, followed M$ directions and everything was OK — until I installed the Chipset drivers: That's when I ran into the problem. The Video and Sound drivers installed with no problem and no loss of my custom SplashScreen.

I'm really thinking that it's one of the Chipset drivers, though. I see that there's an uninstall in the folders and I'm wondering which ones I really need?

I have no qualms about cloning the old drive and starting over. I need a life anyway.

Comment

Ahh ok, that may be the problem, the AGP driver and now using a PCIE board.

You can get the latest Nvidia drivers here
              Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Not sure if that will fix this though? You may need to go back to the old setup, and properly remove the AGP Device and drivers before you move to this new board. I am not sure if you can do that now that you are currently on this machine, it may not be relevant though once the newer PCIE drivers are installed but who knows (I don't :) ) it could always cause a issue?

What was your old board chipset, or Model #/name if you are not sure?

Repair install I mention is nothing like what you are describing. What I mean is a actual XP Repair Install, this will look like it is reinstalling XP, but it is not. It will repair all windows files, update drivers to proper ones for your new board, and remove all windows updates.

Here is a few guides on how to do this, be sure you pay attention to when you are choosing Repair, because it is offered at the beginning somewhere other than where you actually want to use it.
              Repair Windows XP - How to Perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP - Part 1 of 2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx
              Repair Windows XP Professional Guide

Basically you will put the disk in and act like you are about to install XP again clean, continue going until you get to the page where it asks you which disk to install to or shows you a current XP installation. There is where you direct it to the C Drive (Or wherever your current install is), or choose to repair the current windows install and offer the option to continue with the install or Repair. There is where you choose repair.

Comment

Working...
              X