Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphics Card works great, but not during POST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Graphics Card works great, but not during POST!

^^ is it a plug and play monitor or did it come with drivers on a cd for it??? maybe they need updating??? i didnt think it would be monitor though,but thinking about monitor drivers maybe it could be those
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Nah, dang it. It's just a plug and play using the default Windows drivers.

Comment

Since a new/different monitor works fine then it sounds like the 16/32 bit or 2D part of your monitor is failing and you should RMA it.

How are you connecting it? Did you try the other way if possible for testing? In case you are not sure what I mean, like if you are using HDMI now, did you try VGA or DSUB, and visa versa.

Comment

Thanks lsdmeasap,

The card is only DVI out. the monitor is only VGA in. The only path between them (I think) is DVI-VGA adapter, so I think the only test is, "yes it works" or "no it doesn't".

Both card and monitor are probably both well past any warranty date, so I doubt I'll be able to RMA either.

It sounds like the consensus is "hardware, not software".

I've been wanting to replace the CRT with a new flat screen digital monitor anyway, so I think I'll just put up with it "as is" as long as possible while saving up my money for a new monitor. It may be a while, but if that doesn't fix it, I suppose I'll have take a closer look at MOBO/graphics card then.

Thanks guys for all your help. I'm out of steam on this one for now.

Comment

nows your excuse to buy a flashy new monitor or gpu or both
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

+ 1 ^^

Comment

Originally posted by sdog View Post
                O.K. Here's the latest:

4. PhenomII Dude - Found a little 15" VGA CRT. Plugged it in. Works perfectly, during POST and after OS load, so you may be right about the problem being in the monitor, BUT, BUT, BUT... WHY DOES IT LOOK SO DANG GOOD ON THE FIRST MONITOR ONCE THE OS DRIVERS LOAD??

I'm not questioning your conclusion - just trying to understand it. Does the MOBO+GPU talk to a different part of the monitor during POST than it does after the OS loads? I really don't know a lot about VGA. I just thought analog monitors were mostly voltage, current, resistance, etc. and not so much logic - with the logic happening in the GPU+MOBO. May be a bad presumption? I know it won't help me solve the problem if it's just a bad monitor, but if you have a second, I'd love to hear how the monitor can be bad during POST and good after OS-load. Just for my own education. If not, thanks anyway (to all of you) for all your help so far!

That is a fairly simple issue - analogue monitors are very sensitive concerning the signal feed in the particular video mode. Since you got a digital graphics port the translation is somewhat loose means it fails the text display mode (boot up) on your monitor. The other monitor works...for now....best idea get a digital monitor for a digital graphics card.
                X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
                AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
                Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 - 16GB Kit
                GV-RX570AORUS-4GD
                1x 970 SSD / 2x SSHD 1TB Seagate
                Win10x64

Comment

Excellent PhenomII Dude. This is the type of understanding I was trying to reach. I'm still not completely clear, but a lot closer than I was before. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X