No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-UD3P - Q9550 not posting correctly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P - Q9550 not posting correctly...

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me. I've been having trouble with these computers I'll start from beginning...

TWO COMPUTERS A & B same spec...
    CPU: Q9550 E0
    Mobo: GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.1 [A: F7 // B: F6]
    RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    comp A: ATI radeon 4890
    comp B: radeon 4850

COMP A :So I've concluded the the motherboard was the issue which was causing BSOD in window7 64bit I would get random BSOD at least 3+ times a day even while idling. So I updated the BIOS F7 to F10 and it cleared it. Everything worked perfect the Q9550 posted properly which is 333x8.5 multiplier. The F7 BIOS occasionally it would post Q9550 as multiplier with 6.

COMP B : COMP B also had the same issue as COMP A, so I decided to update the bios to F10 from F9 which Initially when I receive the board it was F6. However, CPU (Q9550) is posting as 333x6 multiplier = 2ghz (suppose to be 8.5 = 2.83ghz). I reset the CMOS I would load optimizing setting and it would make multiplier to 8.5 but when I would save and reboot it'll revert back to 6!! This problem happened for F6, F9, and F10!!!

COMP A is working well but after a shutdown and boot up it would take 3+ minutes to post and goto Window logo but if I powered cycle (shut off from power from PSU) and restart it would post immediately. the posting that hangs is "memory testing" part. Previous F7 BIOS did not have that problem but BSOD in windows7 profusely.

Anyone having these issues or ideas in how to fix it?

EDIT:: COMP B... I tried changing frequency 333 to 350 // 400 it would crash.. at 350 it would not post I had to reset CMOS...
    Also disabling CPU EIST Function and CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and 8.5 multiplier will not stay!
    BAD MOBO or CPU?
    Last edited by hugs; 04-13-2010, 12:49 AM. Reason: tried a few other things.
    a computer

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P - Q9550 not posting correctly...

Are you loading optimized defaults first, then save/apply/reboot F10. Then make changes after going back to the BIOS?

That is how you need to do things. You should also be setting several other things as well, so can you give me the one systems full exact settings that are bothering you most now and I will advise back what to try.

Template is in my signature for you to give me your settings, please also link to your exact ram if you can or give the model #

What PSU's are you using, both the same?

Comment

on COMP-B I loaded .... fail safe + save reboot , fail safe + save reboot, and then optimized+reboot... all settings had the 8.5 multiplier... and still went back to 6!

COMP A/B: [SAME]
      cpu: intell Q9550
      mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.1 F10
      ram: OCZ2RPR10664GK --- REAPER 2x2gigs
      PSU: Antec 650 earthwatts...

COMP A: RADEON 4890
      COMP B: RADEON 4850

after F10 BIOS upgrade.
      comp A is fine.. just weird post times...
      comp B will not save correct multiplier and POST time is fine
      Last edited by hugs; 04-13-2010, 01:08 AM.
      a computer

Comment

Stop using Fail Safe, this is bad.

Please use only optimized defaults, then save/reboot back to BIOS. Then set your memory voltage to spec amount, and set MCH 1.2-1.24 for 4GB and put Performance Enhance on Standard. Then give me your settings if you still have issues and I can help

On Comp B, please clear the CMOS fully. Use the method I outline in post # 2 here, then once you are done do the load optimized save/apply/reboot F10 routine and try again..
        http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

As you know, C1E and EIST must be disabled, just a reminder for anyone reading this later.

Comment

"Please use only optimized defaults, then save/reboot back to BIOS. Then set your memory voltage to spec amount, and set MCH 1.2-1.24 for 4GB and put Performance Enhance on Standard. Then give me your settings if you still have issues and I can help"

Is this is fix compA and the weird post times after the shut down+restart?

"On Comp B, please clear the CMOS fully. Use the method I outline in post # 2 here, then once you are done do the load optimized save/apply/reboot F10 routine and try again.."

thats that I did initially when I flashed F9 to F10... I flashed it to F10 went to bios.. loaded optimized setting then SAVE+REBOOT... and it reverted back to 6... I did fail+safe because I asked a friend who knew a bit more about comptuers than I did.. but it was same results.

I even tried reflashing it to F10 again but nothing... still get F10.
          a computer

Comment

That is fix both really, I would start with that on both machines after you clear the CMOS on B machine.'

So B machine is on F10 now then right?

Please explain weird boot/post problem in more detail, or is it just 3 minutes to get to windows? Do you have a floppy drive installed? If not disable that in the BIOS and remove it from your 1, 2, 3 bootup list.

Please give me your full MIT settings for either PC so I can advise you proper settings

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              That is fix both really, I would start with that on both machines after you clear the CMOS on B machine.'

So B machine is on F10 now then right?

Please explain weird boot/post problem in more detail, or is it just 3 minutes to get to windows? Do you have a floppy drive installed? If not disable that in the BIOS and remove it from your 1, 2, 3 bootup list.

Please give me your full MIT settings for either PC so I can advise you proper settings

A and B both have F10... remember A results with F10 was amazing fix alot of windows7 BSOD... but again shutdown + startup memory post time were extremely long... unlike if i were to window>restart or PSU powercycle which loaded memory post really fast....

yeah but I can't work on COMP-A right now I'll work on it tomorrow since its not in my location right now.

compB has F10

MCH... where do I modify it for my ram b/c I see 2 sections for MCH... I haven't done much editting in this area...

+ if its the ram issue should I boost the voltage to 2.1v since its recommended for this ram... thank you...

+ after i change the MCH (which one edit exactly?) should I try to edit it back to multiplier to 8.5 or it'll go there by itself?
              a computer

Comment

Well just give me one set of settings you are using now, since the machines are similar, then I will advise back full settings for you. This will be easier for you then just me only giving you a few settings at a time, then you can also apply to the other machine when you get to it as well.

Yes, set memory voltage to 2.1V if that is the spec for it.

MCH does not affect your CPU multi so not it will not go back to 8.5, set that yourself manually.

MCH is this setting >>

MCH/ICH
                MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << This one, set 1.2-1.24 for 4GB
                MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........: <<< Leave
                MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave

Please though, give me your current full settings for any machine and I will advise back full settings.

Comment

Will do... but my CPU temps are really high its 70C at idle... so I am going to redo the thermal compound... and give you my settings...

both comps are idling at 70C .... =/ hmmm ill get back to you tomorrow then.

thank you for help so far!....
                  a computer

Comment

70C idle is not good! When you redo the paste be sure you do not use to much, then also be sure the mount is good and tight.

What coolers are you using anyway?

Cool, good luck and I will see ya tomorrow

Comment

Arctic Silver... yeah the stock fan was hard to set in place.. ill try to fix that tomo.
                      a computer

Comment

Stock fans are terrible, to use and to put on the boards.

Have any luck with your temps yet? Just checking in.

Comment

Ahhh sorry..

Yeah it was the CPU over heating issue.. I've been getting constant 8.5 multiplier on COMP-B and COMP-A which also I got a new after market heatsink the rams are posting normal times.

thank you very much for help!...

btw with my specs how do I exactly overclock ? =] like each individual steps since I have this new heatsink want to put it to work.
                          a computer

Comment

So all is good now since you fixed your heatink problems?

Well overclocking can be tricky, and will take you some time to get stable. What cooler did you get anyway?

What CPU speed would you like to run?

Comment

"So all is good now since you fixed your heatink problems?"
                              On BOTH machines.. YUP!!!...

"Well overclocking can be tricky, and will take you some time to get stable. What cooler did you get anyway?"
                              Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler
                              ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED
                              Getting ~30s C @ idle.. .~40 C running prime95 for an hour stock speed actually getting correct multiplier now =]

"What CPU speed would you like to run?"
                              Nothing intense Ideally 3.2 but 3.8 will be AWESOME! =]
                              Last edited by hugs; 04-14-2010, 01:31 AM.
                              a computer

Comment

Working...
                              X