Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58-UD7 shuts down but doesn't turn off

Hi,

I have an X58-UD7 running windows 7 and everything is sweet apart from one minor niggle.

Windows shuts dowwn but the computer doesn't actually turn off, I have to keep the power button pressed for a few seconds to turn it off fully.

I have unplugged everything surplus such as external hard drives etc, I've updated the bios but it hasn't made a difference.

I can't help but wonder if it's connected to power management but I can't put my finger on it especially seeing all of the settings in th BIOS re the power have been left at the default

Has anyone else come across this?

Flo

i7 930 Bloomfield
    6gb Corsair Dominiator 2000mhz
    WD raptor 300gb x 2 RAID 0
    XFX Radeon 5870
    1200w Toughpower

Re: X58-UD7 shuts down but doesn't turn off

is it set to instant off?? in bios
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

I looked for that option and couldn't find it

Comment

its on the bios im not sure which page

soft off by pwr button-instant off
        Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
        Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
        Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
        Dual Boot
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
        Ati x1950 pro gpu
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        1050w psu
        Nzxt lexa case
        http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Are you using windows 7 or Vista? If so, are you sure you are shutting down and not just hitting the power button on the start menu, which by default is sleep.

You would need to right click the little arrow next to the buttons and choose shut down, you may know this but just checking in case you did not know.

If you need help changing the start menu power button from sleep to shut down let me know.

Please be sure you are using the latest BIOS, older ones may cause issues. Please DO NOT USE @BIOS to update either, use Qflash or DOS. Latest is F6
          http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Comment

hi there,

I'm using windows 7. I'm definately hitting shut down, not sleep and I updated my bios to f6 last week using qflash. I had a similar problem with my old p45 board but I can't remember how I fixed it. Doh...

Comment

did you ck your power settings? Make sure that they are set correctly...the first thing I was thinking was Bios update. Just go through the power settings and check each advanced setting to make sure that there isn't something set incorrectly. Just a few pennies of advice.
              Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
              Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower
              Acer X223W 22" widescreen

nVidia nForce 7150-630i mobo
              Intel Quad Core Q6700 OC'd 3.13Ghz
              4096MB ddr-800
              200GB hdd 7200 sata
              160GB hdd 7200 sata II
              320GB hdd 5400 ide (?)
              320GB ext. hdd Transcend
              MSI dvd rw / lightscribe / sata
              BFG GeForce 8600 GT PCI-E 1.0

Geek Tweek, LLC

visit me on facebook:
              http://companies.to/geektweekllc/

Comment

Are you overclocked? If so can you please post me your full settings in a template from my signature and also post a image of your TaskManager with the performance tab open

Comment

Hi all,

No, I'm not overclocked and I set the BIOS to load the defaults when the problem started happening just in case I had changed something and not realised it.

However, I left it one night while it was still 'on' (ie windows shutdown but the computer still on) to see if it stayed on all night and when I got up the next morning it was off so tonight I shut it down and waited and sure enough after 5 mins or so after windows shut down the system powered down completely.

I'm not sure if this is by design or whether there is something attached to the system that takes a while to shut off completely. I disconnected everything that was none essential but it made no difference.

To be honest though, now that I know it does turn off eventually I'm a lot happeir than thinking that it stays on all night

Comment

Problem solved! Woo hoooooooooooo!

I disabled the things in the BIOS one by one and after I disabled the eSata it shut down properly, I re-enabled it and the problem returned.

I downloaded the latest drivers from the JMicron site and updated them and now it's fine, yay!

Thanks for all your help though

Comment

Did you use the driver disc included with the motherboard? If so, start over and download the drivers from the Gigabyte website. One of the drivers in bad on the disc and causes this issue. This happened to me with my X58A-UD5 and is covered here in the forums somewhere.

Doug

Comment

Also, please anyone reading this later or now. DO NOT use Express Install on the motherboard CD!!

While we don't suggest using the CD at all anyway because the drivers are always old, for sure do not use express install because this will install drivers you do not plan use and mess up the system

Originally posted by flo_the_lil_minx View Post
                        Problem solved! Woo hoooooooooooo!

I disabled the things in the BIOS one by one and after I disabled the eSata it shut down properly, I re-enabled it and the problem returned.

I downloaded the latest drivers from the JMicron site and updated them and now it's fine, yay!

Thanks for all your help though
                        Glad you got it!! This is related to the problem described above, you likely installed the drivers for devices such as those ports, that you are not using. Which now causes a hang.

Are you not using the Gigabyte/J.Micron Ports (Esata or internal)? If not please uninstall those drivers and you will be fine, if those are enabled or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X