Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The saga repeats itself - Accessing my BIOS? : gigabyte, ga-p43-as3g

Hi,
    Sometime ago I posted a request for assistance - I found no way to access my BIOS on a gigabyte, ga-p43-as3g pc. (The full thread is available on http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/cant-access-bios-ga-p43-es3g-37491/ ).
    The solution to my problem was clearing BIOS using a clrbios procedure.

Yesterday, this same proble showed up again. When I start my pc, I see a black screen. The system light shows operation and after a not-too-long time, windows screen shows up. My system is a dual boot system, WinXP Pro and Win7. Since Win7 is defined as a default os, I'm led to win7. (If I change default os, most probably, xp will go on line. I haven't tested it, but I'm almost sure about it).

The shop I bought the pc from isn't too friendly, and my request to replace the mb was turned down.

Is there any way I can spot the cause of this problem and cure it?

Is there a way I can gain replacement of the mob directly from the supplier? (I live in Israel, and us related solution may not be available).

I'll appreciate any suggestion.
    Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G intel P43
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz
    Samsung 1TB 32 MB 7200RPM
    Seasonic SS-500ET Active PFC
    Transcend 2GB DDR2 800
    Samsung DVD-RW SH-S223F x22
    Gainward 9500GT 512MB GDDR2

Re: The saga repeats itself - Accessing my BIOS? : gigabyte, ga-p43-as3g

Well Gigabyte offers 3 year warranty on their boards, so if you had to you could RMA with them. But really I don't think this is a board issue.

What BIOS are you using?

Are you using USB or PS/2 mouse and keyboards? If you are using USB keyboards then you would need to be sure you enabled a few things in the BIOS after you clear the CMOS each time. Those would be USB 1 and 2 support, and legacy USB Storage Detect.

Or you could switch to PS/2 keyboard, then this issue would not bother you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Well Gigabyte offers 3 year warranty on their boards, so if you had to you could RMA with them. But really I don't think this is a board issue.
      Just in case, how is this RMA working? Does it require sending the mb via mail to gigabyte? an instruction to the store I bought the computer from to replace the mb? or else?

What BIOS are you using?
      See image:

Are you using USB or PS/2 mouse and keyboards??
      A usb mouse and a ps/2 keyboard.
      If you are using USB keyboards then you would need to be sure you enabled a few things in the BIOS after you clear the CMOS each time. Those would be USB 1 and 2 support, and legacy USB Storage Detect.

Or you could switch to PS/2 keyboard, then this issue would not bother you so much.
      If you refer to my keyboard, then looks like no step is required on my behalf. Did I understand you right?
      Transcend 2GB DDR2 800

Comment

One minore addition: BIOS Agent reports that my BIOS fits Microsoft Windows NT Version: 6.1.7600. My main os is windows 7. Does it create a problem?
        Transcend 2GB DDR2 800

Comment

Yes you would send the motherboard to Gigabyte. Or you could ask your store to do that as well.

Here, try BIOS F12
          GA-P43-ES3G (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

Please use Qflash or DOS to flash, DO NOT USE @BIOS. Here is a guide if you are unsure how to flash properly

Ya if you are using PS/2 Keyboard in a PS/2 slot then you shouldn't need to worry about the things I mentioned. Do you have another PS/2 keyboard to test with though, in case something is wrong with the one you are using now, or their is some compatibility issue?

BIOS agent is fairly useless, I would not advise using it for anything really. You can use CPU-z to check your BIOS versions if need be in the future or look in the BIOS itself, on the MAIN page of the BIOS press F9 and system info will come up showing you the BIOS version.

Try the new BIOS F12 and see if the issue remains, if it does you may also want to try BIOS F10. Be sure you always load optimized defaults, then save/apply/ reboot F10 after you flash. Then go back into the BIOS before windows and make any changes you need to make.

Comment

Well, Lsdmeasap, got stuck. I tried clrbios twice, made sure I stick to all details, but nothing changed. The screen is black untill win7 starts.
            Is there anything I can still do to cure my problem?
            Transcend 2GB DDR2 800

Comment

Even though your screen remains black until the windows screen appears, can you currently enter your bios by pressing the DELETE key shortly after your system starts the POST procedure?
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

To continue profJim's thought, if not try to turn the monitor off for a few minutes if you don't see the BIOS screen turn it back on.

Comment

No, I can't. I tried, but nothing happens, or at least, I can't see if anything happens.
                  Transcend 2GB DDR2 800

Comment

Chike,
                    When do you suggest me to turn the monitor off? while the system is closed? when I start it? when it's already inside win7? or else?
                    Transcend 2GB DDR2 800

Comment

Before you turn the computer on, or after you try to enter BIOS and the screen is blank.
                      Do you usually turn it off or leave it in standby?

Comment

How is your monitor connected to your video card? DVI? VGA?
                        What brand/model/type of monitor are your using?
                        Do you have an older VGA monitor you can test with?
                        Have you re-seated your video card?
                        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
                          Before you turn the computer on, or after you try to enter BIOS and the screen is blank.
                          Do you usually turn it off or leave it in standby?
                          My pc is up all the time. I usually switch the monitor off during night time.
                          Most of the time, when I start the pc, it's a reboot and therefore, the montor is on.
                          I never leave it on standby.
                          Transcend 2GB DDR2 800

Comment

I just asked because for example my monitor sometimes has problem synchronizing when I wake the computer from hibernation. At first I thought it's a problem with the settings but if I turn it off for a few seconds it turns up OK.

Just trtying to understand if it's a problem with the monitor or the VGA card and VGA mode since you say it turns on when windows start.

Comment

I don't think the problem has something to do with the monitor, since it works as expected under the more advanced condition of win7 and fail on the least challenging task - post prior to win7.
                              For this reason, I don't believe it's a graphic card problem.
                              Transcend 2GB DDR2 800

Comment

Working...
                              X