Ga-EX-58-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ga-EX-58-UD3R

is your cpu fan on the right way round? the akasa hologram sticker should be facing towards the front of pc case,then its pushing air toward/through the heatsink
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Yep, it's on the correct way.

Comment

heres a good guide to apply thermal paste to a direct heatpipe cooler,try thin strips along the aluminium and leave the copper clear thats how i applied it on my nero cooler

Benchmark Reviews: Performance Computer Hardware Tests

Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
        Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
        Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
        Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
        Dual Boot
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
        1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
        Ati x1950 pro gpu
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        1050w psu
        Nzxt lexa case
        http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. This method is new to me. I'll try it and report back.

Comment

I recently installed a Dark Knight cooler for a client that uses this bottom, hated it myself. Not sure if it really helps temps like that or not, but I personally hated the design of that.

I spread a thin layer across it all, not sure if that was best or not, but it seemed the only way to cover it all after several test mounts trying to find the way that best provided full contact.

Comment

The thermo concept is sound, although I'm not sure how much this dead space can negatively impact heat transfer in practice. Since I have the tools, I'll probably solder those valleys full then lap the surface and polish it. I wonder if some higher-quality coolers that use HDT are made this way, ie precision machined so the pipes finish flush with the base.

Comment

I don't like it, but you are right it may be a sound idea in practice. Just seems like you would always need to use too much paste I think, and possibly always have some parts not making full contact.

Your idea solves all my concerns with the concept, not sure why manufacturers don't do that!

I use water myself, but if I was on Air this concept would not be something I would use at all.

Comment

Most likely manufacturers don't do this because it requires a fair amount of precision, which is more expensive and drives the already high prices even higher. Even still, this should be standard practice for enthusiast-level high-performance components. I only resort to this step because it seems my idle i7 920 temperatures are higher than everyone else's and this seems to be the only explanation.

Comment

Well you would think, better design no matter the cost would be best for business. I guess maybe it could cost to much to make them as we talk about?

You would think they could make them even to begin with, then polish them up a bit like they do other flat ones, for the same costs anyway. I know if it were my product I would, can't be that much more.

Comment

I re-applied the thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5) as described in the article, but I really don't see much difference. For example, 20 minutes of P95 still gives me a high temperature of 70C at stock settings.

Comment

Use better paste, then you will see a difference. Try some TX-2 or MX-2. I switched to TX-2 a couple years ago, I'm glad I did and haven't looked back. It is much cooler than AS5 and easier to clean off (One wipe)

Comment

Working...
                        X