GA-MA78LM-S2 four long beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-MA78LM-S2 four long beeps

Thanks to everyone who replied. Turns out it was the CPU or fan.

I tried everything that was mentioned in this board and others that I could find but to no avail. Frustrated and thinking that I will have to RMA it, I reluctantly took out the CPU and fan, and thought, might as well try again. I checked the CPU pins to make sure they are not bent, and put it back and the stock fan on top of it. Turned on the power.... fans turned on, heard a short beep and then nothing. Feeling good about it, I hooked up the monitor and was greeted with the BIOS and logo. Viola!

After that I was able to run memtest from my sidux liveCD and everything turns out OK. Both brands of RAM (OCZ and Patroit) worked.

I will be installing Linux tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your help.

In summary, 4 long beeps could also mean CPU/fan problem. I kept thinking that it was the RAM or motherboard problem. I wish there were two different codes so that at least I know where to look.

BTW, the Gigabyte support is useless. They never replied my email.

Comment

Power supply incompatibility can cause similar problems, even when the psu works fine in other systems.

It sounds like your cpu or heatsink might not have been properly installed initially.

Glad to hear that your systems is now OK.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by gigaboard View Post
        Thanks to everyone who replied. Turns out it was the CPU or fan.

I tried everything that was mentioned in this board and others that I could find but to no avail. Frustrated and thinking that I will have to RMA it, I reluctantly took out the CPU and fan, and thought, might as well try again. I checked the CPU pins to make sure they are not bent, and put it back and the stock fan on top of it. Turned on the power.... fans turned on, heard a short beep and then nothing. Feeling good about it, I hooked up the monitor and was greeted with the BIOS and logo. Viola!

After that I was able to run memtest from my sidux liveCD and everything turns out OK. Both brands of RAM (OCZ and Patroit) worked.

I will be installing Linux tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your help.

In summary, 4 long beeps could also mean CPU/fan problem. I kept thinking that it was the RAM or motherboard problem. I wish there were two different codes so that at least I know where to look.

BTW, the Gigabyte support is useless. They never replied my email.

FWIW, I have a Gigabyte MA785GMT UD2H, and the manual said that 4 beeps means the video card isn't working. I tried to upgrade to a Galxy 650ti, and when I first installed it I got a message that I forgot to attach the pcie power cable (duh)... I then connected it, rebooted, and got the 4 beeps.. continuously. After a few minutes, I put back the original video card (operational up to that point) and got the 4 beeps again. So now it's all I get. The socket looks good... I think I hurt my mobo

Comment

Working...
        X