Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

Originally posted by b33cux View Post
    For instance, this poor guy has trying to get this thing working since SEPTEMBER. How many more suggestions are people going to give him before someone finally suggests that just maybe it's the MOBO?
    You have a pint there. I tend to do it rater quickly if I feel most reasonable and or possible options have been exhusted.
    Some tweaks, even to compensate on BIOS or minor hardware faults are acceptable, but that's about it.
    I am in the oppinion people deserve to get what they paid for, and in the case of this particular board, a top quality hassle free motherboard.

I disagree with your first post though. You have a faulty board, RMA it, it's what RMA is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      I disagree with your first post though. You have a faulty board, RMA it, it's what RMA is for.
      LOL! I hear you - and I should confess: In a way, I AM being silly: Although I think that board is totally undependable, I've only given up on USING it - not fixing it .

Plus, I have my doubts that a replacement board would make a difference: My guess is that a firmware or driver update would best resolve this, and since there seems to be:
      • a large # of BSODs associated with this board, and
      • a low % of those seem to be getting resolved ,

I'm going to wait a bit and see if Gigabyte releases a working BIOS version/driver update/patch/whatever in the near future. If not, I may exchange...

Speaking of BIOS/driver versions: does anyone know how to get hold of PREVIOUS versions of same for this board? I don't see them on Gigabyte page nor on their FTP. With the versions immediately prior to the current ones, my board was much more stable: it only Blue Screened once a week or so - not 2x/day...

Comment

I'm a Noob - Had never been inside a computer until I built this Rig(8/1/09).It's not by accident that I picked the EP45-UD3P - I researched Mobo's for 3 months before I made the decision.The Good to Bad ratio is probably 70/30.Ithink 50% of the 30 just didn't know how to work or setup the Board.I know people get bad parts sometimes but that's no reason to put down a good product.I've had issues with this board - Only to find out I had some settings wrong in the BIOS.I am OCing this board - If it Burned up today - I'd be online tomorrow ordering another.I would "NOT" RMA it.If you Hotrod a car you break parts.If you OC a computer you break parts.It's not a matter if - It's a matter when.Thanks to the People of this Forum and the EP45-UD3P - You have made OCing a pleasure - Not a fear.
        THRASHER: Liquid Cooled
        Cooler Master XB EVO<>G1 Sniper 5 v1.0 F10<>4770k vid 1.022<>Batch#3332B365
        OC 4.4GHz 1.25v<>G.Skill F3-2400C10Q-32GTX 10-12-12-31 1.65v 2400MHz 32GB's
        2/Gigabyte R9 290X CrossFireX<>Corsair AX1200I<>2/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB raid0
        Windows 7 Ultimate<>idle 28c

Comment

I wasn't OCing it - who the heck would try to OC it when it didn't work in the first place? I just wanted it to WORK. I happened to notice that in this thread, one of the possiblities that HADN'T been considered was the MOBO, I brought up the suggestion that it be considered, ESPECIALLY after reading more suggestions that yet more time/money be thrown at the problem. I didn't instantly consider my MOBO to be at fault; it didn't become prime suspect UNTIL I tried other known good components - simple Occam's Razor. As far as the ep45-ud3p being a piece of crap: I was expressing my opinion here, and, I'd like to point out: I'M over it. I got a better MOBO (from ASUS, thenkyewverymuch), and it works just fine. Badabing, badaboom. It was a solution that worked for me, and upon discovering another person with similar problems with the same board, I passed along what worked for me. As far as I can see, no other solution that has been presented in this thread has worked. Mine did and does. I still say after a certain amount of time, it's better to cut one's losses and find a solution that WORKS. And I would think that in a technical forum my or anyone's opinion would be INCIDENTAL to that.
          Last edited by b33cux; 02-01-2010, 10:24 PM. Reason: many, mant, typose

Comment

I would not consider buying a new board as cutting losses, RMA is the more economical solution (most of the time,( much more when it is known that bad luck may come in 3s.
            Although all 3 boards in this example are GBs does not mean ASUS is free of hickups (just recently got the replacement to a defective ASUS board.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
              I would not consider buying a new board as cutting losses, RMA is the more economical solution (most of the time,( much more when it is known that bad luck may come in 3s.
              Although all 3 boards in this example are GBs does not mean ASUS is free of hickups (just recently got the replacement to a defective ASUS board.)
              Generally I agree with you. And yes, bad boards come in all brands.

However, in this particular case, in my experience, this board will BS from as often as several X/day, AND/OR run just fine for a month between BSs - which, to me, is actually WORSE than several Xs/day, because at Week 5, 6, etc, who knows? Will it or won't it? Also, what happens if I want to upgrade a card, RAM, or HD? Tweaking is fine as long as it is an option, NOT a necessity. Not to mention that this board was marketed SPECIFICALLY as a dependable, stable board: "Three-inch copper bulkheads!" "Exotic Japanese capacitors!" Yeah, well...

I will give it this: - it's definitely one of the prettiest boards I've ever seen...

Comment

Thanks to all who've contributed to this thread. Well for the record I RMAed the motherboard. After installing the replacement (new) EP45-UD3LR motherboard with the original Case, PSU, RAM (one stick only), Graphics Card, and Q9400 CPU I found that I had the same problem as before - i.e. the PC would not POST and would switch itself off and then back on every two seconds. I then replaced the CPU with another new Q9400 CPU and when switched on it immediately POSTed.

As before I loaded the Optimized Defaults, saved the setup, restarted the PC, and then reentered the BIOS. I then set the System Memory Multiplier to 2.40B to manually set the Memory Frequency at 800 Mhz and then changed the standard timings to 6-6-6-18. I then gradually added back in the RAM sticks until they were all error free after 4-6 Memtest+ Passes each and 3 hours of OCCT testing. I then successfully repeated the Memtest+ testing overnight on all 8GB RAM.

I have since had the PC up and running the original installation of Windows 7 (64 Bit) for 5 days so far without any problems. I did have to reactivate Windows after a couple of days.

In hindsight it appears that cause of the problem was the original Q9400 CPU and not the EP45-UD3P motherboard. I'm now in the process of RMAing the CPU and intend using the replacement in another PC... most probably with another EP45-UD3LR motherboard as the other EP45 motherboard models are getting harder to find in Australia.

Comment

Glad to hear that the new cpu has solved your problem.

Cpu failures are rare, but it shows that sometimes you need to test with other components to find out where the problem is.
                  Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                  P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                  4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                  Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                  WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                  Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                  SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                  Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                  Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                  Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                  MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                  Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                  HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                  CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                  win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                  X