Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

Re: EP45-UD3P - Downward Spiral - Now does not POST

Did you try clearing the CMOS for a long time? Sometimes it takes overnight leaving the jumper on and battery out.

If your new memory works then it is likely that your older memory has went faulty, at least some of it anyway, and may have not been compatible from the get go.

When will your new memory arrive?

Comment

Thanks LSDMEASAP for your quick reply. I have now removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard and will leave it out for 24 hours with the jumper in place to perform a long CMOS reset.

The new G.Skill RAM should arrive hopefully either later today or tomorrow (Australian time). A friend is also going to lend me a spare PCIE video card tomorrow so within about 36 hours I should have a status update on this problem.

Comment

Great, let us know how all the testing goes! Nice to hear you will have a few spare items to test with, this always helps a lot!

Comment

I left the CMOS battery out of the motherboard for over 24 hours. After I put the CMOS battery back on the motherboard I switched the system on... same result as before. The system switched on for about 2 seconds and then switched off in a continuous loop until I switched the power off at the wall socket or power supply switch.

I then tried in turn replacing the single stick of RAM with 1 stick of known working Kingston DDR2-667 RAM (KTM4982/2G) as my new G.Skill DDR2-1066 RAM has not been delivered yet - same result as before. I then tried my friend's nVidia 7600GS PCIE Video Card... also with the same result as before.

This leaves the Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU and the motherboard as the cause of the problem. Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU or access to one so I've going to have to purchase another one to prove whether the problem is in the PSU or motherboard. I'll try and source a new PSU over the weekend.

Comment

Wait for your new memory before purchasing a new PSU as I have seen many issues with 533 and 667 memory, so that may not work to troubleshoot with. If you can, try to find or borrow a stick of 800Mhz 1.8V memory for testing

Seasonic makes good PSU's but that does not mean it is still ok. Anyway you can test this PSU on another system, instead of testing a new one with your system? Just wondered as this may be easier for you to do then borrowing a different PSU. Or test it with a PSU tester to be sure it still is ok?

Comment

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my new RAM to be delivered. I'm also hoping to borrow a Corsair TX-650 PSU from an office colleague in the next day or so.

Comment

Cool, well good luck and keep us posted on the progress of your testing

Comment

Well my new G.Skill RAM finally arrived yesterday. I've just tried the system with one stick of the new RAM in each RAM socket and unfortunately the result is the same as before. I've also tried overnight my friend's Corsair TX-620 PSU... also with the same result... i.e. when switched on the system switches itself off after two seconds... and does this in a loop until I switch off the power... either at the PSU or the wall socket. Now the only things I've got plugged in to the PSU are the motherboard, video card and CPU Fan.

Where to go from here? Is there anything else I should try before I RMA the motherboard or CPU? Or both?

Comment

I'd get rid of that MOBO - I had one of those, and it would BSOD at will with a different message/dump almost every time. I swapped everything out RAM, HDs, graphics cards, OSs (tried on on clean installs of both XP and 7) - the ONE variable associated in EVERY instance of BSOD was the EP45-UD3P. Quite simply, it's a MOFO board - at least mine is. I'm so disgusted with it, I'm not going to bother with RMA - once Gigabitten, twice shy.

Comment

My 2 cents:
                      While his system "appeared" to be stable (no crashes or BSODs), his setup wasn't stable and file/data corruption could have eventually led to problems.

It's a PITA, but when I build a new system or upgrade components, I perform my extended stability/stress testing to ensure that everything is okie dokie.
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by b33cux View Post
                        I'd get rid of that MOBO - I had one of those, and it would BSOD at will with a different message/dump almost every time. I swapped everything out RAM, HDs, graphics cards, OSs (tried on on clean installs of both XP and 7) - the ONE variable associated in EVERY instance of BSOD was the EP45-UD3P. Quite simply, it's a MOFO board - at least mine is. I'm so disgusted with it, I'm not going to bother with RMA - once Gigabitten, twice shy.
                        You're being silly.

Every motherboard vendor sells motherboards that experience random component failure, or even have entire production runs that use a weak or substandard component that was not identified until the warranty claims start pouring in. RMAs are a pain, but they're also a fact of life for every vendor.

If you want, you can go the American Megatrends route and buy a fully tested and baked-in motherboard ... It'll cost you about $375 for basic P-35 chipset unit.

Lets face it...QC costs money and the mass market demands relatively inexpensive motherboards with lots and lots of features and bling. It doesn't demand the kind of expensive testing and validation required to ensure reliability.

I've had Intel D975XBX, ASUS A8N-SLI32, ASUS P5D and a couple of Gigabyte boards (P-875 and AM2) motherboards either delivered DOA or suffer premature in-service failure. I've also had an expensive Sharp LCD HDTV die after a week, and that one went in the middle of a World Series game.

It's just the nature of the beast.

For the record, my EP45-UD3p is one of the most reliable and stable motherboards I've ever used.
                        Last edited by rbmorse; 01-29-2010, 11:37 AM.
                        EP45-UD3P 1.1
                        QX9770 @ 3.6Ghz (formerly E8500 @ 3.6Ghz)
                        4 X Corsair XMP2 DDR2 800 RAM
                        Sapphire HD5850 1GB
                        Ceton InfiniTV4 cablecard tuner
                        Apple 23 inch Cinema display + Dell SR2320L

Comment

"It's just the nature of the beast."

Why make excuses for poor quality?
                          The fact that you have purchased plenty of defective products does not excuse the lack of effective Gigabyte Quality Control.

It is the tolerance of mediocrity that leads to just that, mediocrity.

My EP45-UD3R has been from first boot the most unstable build of 7 PC's I have built in the last 2 years.
                          To top it off Gigabyte support is easily the most unprofessional and least effective support I have ever experienced.
                          People should scream long and loud.
                          Only then will some of the managers at tech companies like Gigabyte change their ways.
                          Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 vF9
                          Core 2 Duo [email protected]Mhz
                          2 X 2 GB DDR2 1066 Patriot Viper PC2-8800
                          Seagate ST3500410AS 500Gb
                          MSI 8800GT
                          Antec NEO HE500

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                            My 2 cents:
                            While his system "appeared" to be stable (no crashes or BSODs), his setup wasn't stable and file/data corruption could have eventually led to problems.
                            I am going to +1 on Jim's comment. Also sounds a little to me like a grounding issue.

Comment

Quoting rmorse: "You're being silly."

I don't believe I am. I think Gigabyte's reputation is making many overlook the possibility that the MOBO is the problem. For instance, this poor guy has trying to get this thing working since SEPTEMBER. How many more suggestions are people going to give him before someone finally suggests that just maybe it's the MOBO?

If that's not enough, just Google "ep45-ud3p bsod" and see what comes up.

I do realize that this is "Tweak Town", and I like to "tweak" as much as the next guy - but eventually, I'd want to actually use what I was tweaking...

Comment

Working...
                              X