ga-m52l-s3p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-m52l-s3p

Hello im a new user here and i recently bought a gigabyte motherboard.

During summer i bought myself a new motherboard, a gigabyte m52l-s3p along with alot of other components for a new computer build. Built this new computer primarily for better performance in video editing, choose the motherboard for its amd socket and the lack of built in videocard. Amd socket and ati card gives me stream and faster render in adobe premiere.

Im also a gamer and have become a bit curious in overclocking but i am very careful because i dont understand all of it yet.

Right now i have a corsair tx-650w, ati xfx 5770 direct x 11 graphics card, viper 4 gb memory dual 800 mhz and phenom II 720 black edition x3 2.8 ghz. Windows 7 64 bit rc installed. I also bought a cooler master storm scout case to get good air cooling, installed 2 120mm intake fans on the side. Have the one facing under the pci express to the sb chipset??? motherboard controlled, seems to give good cooling around in the case.

Well i have some random questions about this board?

First a question about the motherboard bios. Ive upgraded to bios version F4 for this motherboard. My motherboard is rev 1.0 and i choose the 1.0 file from gigabytes website. When i check cpu-z it doesnt state revision it only says revision am3 or but on other bios versions it said rev 1.0. Is the f4 bios corrupted should i use a different bios. I use qflash. I am very careful with flashing, i had a msi board before that was suercomplicated to flash.:) And i grew up during the dos era so i can take precautions.:)

The latest bios for this mb is also pretty old, bios for 1.2 is newer. Can i flash rev 1.2 bios on this motherboard what is the difference between rev 1.0 and 1.2?

Ive been trying overcklocking, not touching anything without proper knowledge. What i understand is that on a black edition amd processor you can raise the multiplier on stock cooler to maximum of 3.2 ghz and be safe as long as it doesnt overheat. I have raised the multiplier to x15 now to 3.0 ghz and it seems stable. Havent changed anything else, because im not sure what the settings do.:) Do i need to change any voltage or something else when i did this? I have amd cool n quiet enabled.

Ati overdrive from ccc seems to become unstable when i overclock cpu, tearing/flickering in gaming works fine on stock in CCC. Does anyone know why? Does it have to do with voltage?

Is it safe to run this cpu overclock and not change anything else? All other settings are optimized defaults set to auto and so on.

Is there anything else i can do to be safer and increase performace in gaming and work?

Thanks.

/Ola

Re: ga-m52l-s3p

Should the spread spectrum settings be on or off?

Ive set the pci max bus timer to 128 cykles? Is that ok?

Comment

Spread Spectrum Disabled

I am not sure what PCI Bus timer is, but if it was default 100 then you should set it back to that.

Artdrivers is our AMD helper here, sorry I do not know much about AMD, so hopefully he will stop in to help you further with this. If not send him a PM

I would ignore the CPU-z BIOS issue you are asking about, this is likely just due to CPU-z not being up to date with this board/BIOSes properties and how it gathers info is all.

No, do not flash revision 1.2 BIOS into your board

The rest you will have to wait for Artdrivers to help you with as I am not sure on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Spread Spectrum Disabled

I am not sure what PCI Bus timer is, but if it was default 100 then you should set it back to that.

Artdrivers is our AMD helper here, sorry I do not know much about AMD, so hopefully he will stop in to help you further with this. If not send him a PM

I would ignore the CPU-z BIOS issue you are asking about, this is likely just due to CPU-z not being up to date with this board/BIOSes properties and how it gathers info is all.

No, do not flash revision 1.2 BIOS into your board

The rest you will have to wait for Artdrivers to help you with as I am not sure on.
        Ok. Thanks.:)

Comment

Disabled spread spectrum. The system became much more stable after that.:)

About my pci bus timer settings. I thought i heard some crackling on the sound on default 32 and the harddrives maybe were a bit slow. From what i understand hd audio needs atleast 64 and sata harddrives use 128 cyckles. I have a pci express sata expansion conncected and used the maximum settings of 128. I have hdmi to my display, chassi hd audio connceted to the motherboard and sometimes use speakers from the onboard audio. Im unsure if 32 clk is enough to handles everything so i set it hang on to the longest 128 for the sata expansion. Im still a bit unsure about this.

I will try default 32 again and see if i make out any difference.

I have 3 options for the bus timer, 32, 64 and 128.
          Last edited by olapaulakoski; 12-09-2009, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Btw this is an excellent motherboard, had an older msi before. Had only problems with that board, very complicated to do flash updates for bios and was very limited overall. Had serious issues with the onboard graphics not being disabled even when though i disabled it in bios. "The first reason i choose this board, no onboard graphics.:)"

This gigabyte board is excellent, dual bios is an excellent feature feels safer when updating. Its i gamers choise so i guess its safer to do small overclocking and such. Overall i only had stable performance no serious issues at all. Seems to handle all my components really well even the hardware that is newer than the board itself.:)

Whenever i upgrade to another motherboard in the future i will stick with gigabyte!

/Ola

Comment

Ya, Gigabyte makes great boards!

Did you PM Artdrivers yet? If not, I would go ahead and do so in case he missed your thread

Comment

Working...
              X