S3 Sleep Permanently fixed - Post solutions only here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Sleep Permanently fixed - Post solutions only here

Fixing S3 Sleep problems can be a very time consuming and frustrating task. Please post how you fixed your S3 problem. Here is a collection of solutions that I have found on this and other forums:

GA-P35-DS4 ([email protected])
    o Disabled Loadline Calibration in BIOS
    GA-P35-DS3R
    o S3 will not work above 266MHz
    GA-P35-DS3R
    o Changed from 320MHz x 10 to 291MHz x 11
    GA-EP35-DS3L (Q6600)
    o Bump up the CPU voltage a step or three
    GA-EP35-DS3P
    o Changed Display to PEG from PCI (default)
    GA-EP35-DS3P
    o Disabled Loadline Calibration in BIOS
    o Works with E6700 but not Q9450
    GA-P35-DS3R
    o S3 Failed at 1333 FSB, but worked at 800 and 1066 FSB
    o Replaced E4500 with an Q9300 (works at 1333 and 1600 FSB)
    GA-MA770DS3 (AMD)
    o Enabled Cool-n-Quiet
    GA-EP45-DS4P
    o Updated BIOS
    GA-EP45-DS3R
    o Flashed the BIOS
    o Load Optimized Defaults
    o Configured custom BIOS settings
    GA-EP45-DS3R
    o Changed CPU PLL from Auto to 1.5V
    o Changed ICH IO from Auto to 1.57V
    Please post proven S3 solutions that always work and have been working for at least a week.

PS. Looks like Gigabyte motherboards have a problem with S3 sleep, more so than other vendors.
    Last edited by jvitalis; 09-11-2009, 08:06 PM.

Re: S3 Sleep Permanently fixed - Post solutions only here

Sleep or S3 issues are problematic across all motherboard manufacturers, just wanted to comment on your comment about Gigabyte being more problematic than others.

Just have a Google at Asus S3 Sleep Problems and you will find the same... EVGA, DFI, MSI, XFX, Ect.

Thanks for posting your list of findings though, hopefully it will help someone in the future.

Most often you first must be sure you are using the latest BIOS, and the S3 issues have been corrected in that BIOS. Often this is several BIOSes into the life of the board as beta BIOSes and testing must narrow down the cause of the problems before a final solution is found.

Then you must be sure your system is 100% stable as well, this means testing with Memtest86+ 2.11, Orthos, Prime95, ect. This means making sure you have set things for your hardware such as Memory voltages, MCH Voltages, Vcore, ect. And are not relying on Auto voltages for all settings in the BIOS

Here is a post by SunBurn74 with Microsoft Rep explaining how to resolve some Sleep issues >>

And here is a good guide on how to troubleshoot issues with sleep in Vista >>
    Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

Power states explained in full >>

Main thing though normally is BIOS updates! Most often users will not update, have not, or are unaware that a BIOS update is needed to correct these issues until they are told to do so.

You can always find the latest BIOSes here >>>

Please do not use @BIOS to flash your board, use Qflash, here is a guide >>

Comment

Maybe some other manufacturers have problems with S3, but only Gigabyte manages to suck so much to get the famous power-cycle-of-death.

GA-X48-DQ6 has no solution for S3 problem, none of the above works, no bios updates works, stock configuration does not work either.

Conclusion: Gigabyte sucks and nobody should ever buy their products.
      http://www.skooterweb.com
      http://www.skooterblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by fbreve View Post
        Maybe some other manufacturers have problems with S3, but only Gigabyte manages to suck so much to get the famous power-cycle-of-death.

GA-X48-DQ6 has no solution for S3 problem, none of the above works, no bios updates works, stock configuration does not work either.

Asus have much WORST problem about S3 rather than Gigabyte.
        Lots of Asus users these days have weird problem about asus mobo's

Ram problems
        Sata port problems
        etc....
        Z77-D3H Rev 1.1
        GA-Z77-D3H BIOS F23a mod
        Core i5 3570K @ 3.8 MHz
        Kingston HyperX Blue 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v
        Kingston SSD AHCI Mode
        Two 1TB Seagate
        ATI 6850
        850W 80+ Gold PSU
        Air Cooling
        Windows 7 x64 SP1

Comment

Conclusion: complete and utter over reaction. Nobody should ever listen to your mass generalization.

If you've had problems, fine. Next time buy a different board if it'll make you happy. Don't get spreading your immature hate here, thanks. People are capable of making their own mind up.

Power cycle of death implies that the mobo breaks and will only ever constantly re-boot. This is rubbish. If it's power cycling, switch the PSU off at the rear of the machine, hold the power button for 10 seconds, switch back on and boot. Not that hard is it? Gigabyte mobo's also aren't the only ones that can get caught in reboot loops.

All the stress and trouble just to cut ~40 seconds while the PC boots? If you really can't get S3 working, shut the computer down or use hibernate. Point of principle or not, facts are facts, S3 isn't utterly essential, you can live without it.

To the OP: Thanks for posting this list.

To add: EP45-UD3P: Raising or Lowering CPU Reference a couple of ticks from the default of 0.760 @ 1.2V CPU Term helps the system resume for some at moderate over clocks. Confirmed by Chike.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

I wouldn't buy this piece of crap if somebody had warned me that it has the power cycle of death. No other board I ever had has this kind of problem.

Power Cycle of Death is not rubbish, it can kill all your equipment. Just imagine your hard drive being turned on and off all day long. Turning off the PSU is easy when you are near the computer, but Power Cycle of Death can happen when you are away. If the computer enters S3 and try to return (by network call for instance) while you are away, everything will fry thanks to Gigabyte.

And 40 seconds isn't enough to boot any serious used computer. S1 waste as much energy as leaving the system on and idle. S3 is really essential and I can't live without it.

Notice that you are the one make generalizations here. I just stated that Gigabyte sucks and that's fact. But you are saying that no one needs S3 and every computer boots in 40 seconds. That's the bull****.

Comment

I wouldn't buy this piece of crap if somebody had warned me that it has the power cycle of death. No other board I ever had has this kind of problem. Therefore I think it's important to warn others.

Power Cycle of Death is not rubbish, it can kill all your equipment. Just imagine your hard drive being turned on and off all day long. Turning off the PSU is easy when you are near the computer, but Power Cycle of Death can happen when you are away. If the computer enters S3 and try to return (by network call for instance) while you are away, everything will fry thanks to Gigabyte.

And 40 seconds isn't enough to boot any serious used computer. S1 waste as much energy as leaving the system on and idle. S3 is really essential and I can't live without it.

Notice that you are the one make generalizations here. I just stated that Gigabyte sucks and that's fact. But you are saying that no one needs S3 and every computer boots in 40 seconds. That's the bull****.

Comment

And 40 seconds isn't enough to boot any serious used computer.
                35 seconds from pushing the button to the desktop on my machine thanks very much. PC is plenty "Used" too.

Are yo seriously saying that if you KNOW your PC power cycles when waking from S3 that you'd have it to sleep and wake remotely via S3? I doubt it. You'd be well aware it doesn't work. We're talking complete S3 failure here, it's not intermittant, it works or it doesn't.

Where are these reports of hardware breaking because of power cycling? Links please. Or was that just an idea you came up with to justify your scare mongering about a board power cycling?

Do you know what the ~ symbol actually means? it means roughly, approximately, give or take.

All the stress and trouble just to cut ~40 seconds while the PC boots?
                Could be 60 seconds, could be less than 40 seconds. With a RAID 0 array of four SLC FLASH SSD's probably a hell of a lot less than my POST+ Boot time.

Do NOT twist my words to suit your agenda of hate.

Notice that you are the one make generalizations here. I just stated that Gigabyte sucks and that's fact.
                If you had a sense of humor about yourself (always healthy to have) you would appreciate the sweet, sweet irony of this remark.
                Last edited by Psycho101; 11-16-2009, 01:29 PM.
                P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Psycho101,

Well, I guess you are in the stock market and put a lot of money on Gigabyte, otherwise you would be here trying to fight against facts.

My computer does not get ready to use in 40 seconds, it's not a kid's game system that is reinstalled every once in while, therefore it takes time to initialize everything after some months from the first install. I don't care if yours does, mine doesn't, that's fact.

For your information, S3 problem can be intermittent, and it was intermittent in my system, sometimes it would work just fine, and it is completely random. Why? Because Gigabyte sucks, there is no other reason.

It's pretty obvious that repeatedly powering on and off devices would lead them to fail, for instance, hard disks have their life span closely related with spin on/off cycles. On power cycle of death Gigabyte boards are also powering on/off CD/DVD drives, memory, video board, etc. and they may also fail when powered on/off too much. So it's fact that power cycle of death may lead to hardware failure. If the engineers were not a bunch of monroes they would stop the cycle after some attempts if something is really wrong, instead of letting the board fry everything else. I found the laser of my mouse to be dead after a session of two hours of power cycles and I had to buy another mouse, thanks to Gigabyte.

I will not comment on your IQ remarks, I didn't offend you in my posts, so I see no reason for you taking this so personally, unless you are one of the ****heads that developed this board.

Comment

Psycho, dont even bother any further . Use that juicy knowledge oozing from your brain to help others rather than even bothering with this fool.
                    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
                    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
                    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
                    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
                    Corsair tx750 PSU
                    EVGA GTX260 SC
                    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
                    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
                    ASUS Xonar DX
                    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
                    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
                    Windows 7 64bit

Comment

Gigabyte had 2 years since they release GA-X48-DQ6 to fix the S3 problem and they didn't, what a great company!

Gigabyte advertises DES as a big deal because it saves a few watts (if any) but they can't implement S3 (which saves lots of watts) properly. What a great company!

Comment

I withdraw my IQ comment.

Everything else I said about stating opinion as fact stands. It's quite clear that you're going to carry on posting abusiveness no matter hat anyone says. Go ahead, I'm done wasting my time.

I wish you well.
                        P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

EP45-UD3P solution for OSX:

Thireus' SleepEnabler fix works for me on a mildly overclocked system:

Some fixes for your MacOS 10.5.8 install

He makes mention of other kext-shenanigans that might have to be done to get your set up working. I'm working on a dirty (read: fast) attempt and Sleep was the only major thing not working...I have yet to experiment with which kexts I DON'T need because I currently have multiple copies of Disabler.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext and I doubt I need both (or either, depending on how I proceed)... his note mentions that you may need Disabler.kext...

Comment

Thanks for posting that for others!

Comment

Originally posted by fbreve View Post
                              Psycho101,

Well, I guess you are in the stock market and put a lot of money on Gigabyte, otherwise you would be here trying to fight against facts.

My computer does not get ready to use in 40 seconds, it's not a kid's game system that is reinstalled every once in while, therefore it takes time to initialize everything after some months from the first install. I don't care if yours does, mine doesn't, that's fact.

For your information, S3 problem can be intermittent, and it was intermittent in my system, sometimes it would work just fine, and it is completely random. Why? Because Gigabyte sucks, there is no other reason.

It's pretty obvious that repeatedly powering on and off devices would lead them to fail, for instance, hard disks have their life span closely related with spin on/off cycles. On power cycle of death Gigabyte boards are also powering on/off CD/DVD drives, memory, video board, etc. and they may also fail when powered on/off too much. So it's fact that power cycle of death may lead to hardware failure. If the engineers were not a bunch of monroes they would stop the cycle after some attempts if something is really wrong, instead of letting the board fry everything else. I found the laser of my mouse to be dead after a session of two hours of power cycles and I had to buy another mouse, thanks to Gigabyte.

I will not comment on your IQ remarks, I didn't offend you in my posts, so I see no reason for you taking this so personally, unless you are one of the ****heads that developed this board.
                              I agree, GigaByte sucks! the support is not even worth mentioning, they are incompetent! And I as well suffer from Sleep/Hibernation problems (even after installing all hotfixes for Win7) And I use to suffer from "cycle of death"

Comment

Working...
                              X