Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Virtual PC Issues

Hello everybody - new guy on the block.

I am currently running a MA790FX-UD5P MoBo with a Phenom II 940 Black CPU, BIOS = F4c, 4x1 OCZ 800 MB ram, XFX 9800GTX video, and Windows 7 x64(version 6.1.7600.16384). This RC is the final one from what I understand, and there lies the problem (I think).

I am trying to install Microsoft Virtual PC and it will install. The problem is that it bombs on the "setup". What you get is a pop-up that says "Cannot start Windows Virtual PC while another virtualization software is running. Please close the other virualization software and try again". Not true in this case, as its not even installed yet. Virtual PC worked without a flaw when I was running the Windows 7 "Beta" version. All of the Release Candidate's that I tested have had the very same Virtual PC setup problems.

I've Googled myself dizzy trying to get to the bottom of this. Trying to get some an ear at Microsoft seems to out of the question unless your bother-in-law works there. I sent an email to Gigabyte, thinking there maybe an issue or two with the BIOS, but as of now I haven't heard anything.

If anyone out there could shed some light on this, it would be most appreciated.

Thanx,

Agent Orange

P.S. Nothing but good things to say about W7 x64.

Re: Gigabyte Virtual PC Issues

make sure the something-vt setting is enabled for virtual, not sure. Virtual PC is garbage though compared to virtualbox which is free from sun microsystems. only vm i have used so far with windows 7 as host is using virtualbox with the latest ubuntu x64 and it works wonderful.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
    Intel i7 920 D0 3.8Ghz 181x21 1.24375Vcore 1.195QPI/Vtt
    Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 push-pull, vertically mounted
    3x2GB G.Skill DD3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 8-8-8-21-1T 1.54v
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SLI 700-1500-1200
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
    2x WD Caviar Black 640GB in Raid 0, 64KB stripes, 250GB short stroke
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Antec 1200 Gamer Case
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

I have the "Virtulization" feature turned on in the BIOS - so that's not it. Thanks for the tip on the SUN Systems - I'm going to give it a try.

Comment

I use Vmware myself and love it!!

That being said, have you tried to run the installer in Vista Compatibility mode? If not try that and see if it helps

Comment

Dowmloaded Sun's VirtualBox last night. Need to figure out how to set it up.

Comment

So how do you like it? I never used it myself, I did try Microsoft's Virtual PC though and found it to be terrible compared to VmWare

Comment

Are you installing (or, at least, trying to) the 958559 rev? If not, post back, and I'll put it up somewhere... It works great with the VXp included - for other things, not so good - and everything really wants an 'integration package' that doesn't seem to exist for anything you want, and there appear to be some BIOS related toubles as well:
              Cannot start Windows Virtual PC while another virtualization software is running.

Comment

I tried VMware on this board and even with VT enabled and O.C or at stock settings with c1e and esit disabled it keep warning me cpu running to slow something like 200mhz and it was dog slow that was with vista x64 as host I tried virtual box like some else suggested and it was alot faster but ran into a diffrent problem. I was really tring to get Mac OS installed in Vmware but what ever.

LSD any idea why vmware would thing my cpu is running at 200mhz? i have uninstalled it and reinstall it even tring to install windows 7 in it still slow as hell.
                Main Rig
                Gigabyte z87x-OC
                Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                HiS ATI HD 6950
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
                  I tried VMware on this board and even with VT enabled and O.C or at stock settings with c1e and esit disabled it keep warning me cpu running to slow something like 200mhz and it was dog slow that was with vista x64 as host I tried virtual box like some else suggested and it was alot faster but ran into a diffrent problem. I was really tring to get Mac OS installed in Vmware but what ever.

LSD any idea why vmware would thing my cpu is running at 200mhz? i have uninstalled it and reinstall it even tring to install windows 7 in it still slow as hell.
                  Yeap, see here and you can correct that with Vmware
                  VMware Self-Service- Host Power Management Causes Problems with Guest Timekeeping (Windows Hosts)

Set to anything you want IE: your stock CPU speed, or your overclock

What version are you using/trying anyway? I have seen this before myself, but the last version I installed it did not occur on and my ini is default still. I changed it before when I had this issue and it corrected it, just checked my file since a new version and it is back as it should be without my edits. Using 6.5.1 build-126130 right now myself

Comment

Working...
                  X